AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 03-04-2020, 09:10 PM

I’ve recently upgraded DAC40 to DAC50 on my e-470 and I must say that 50 sounds very different from 40. I like 50 much better especially playing DSD. As a streamer I use Sonore ultraRendu powered by UltraCap LPS-1. My music server is a dedicated custom built fan-less server hosting Roon server and running on optimized windows server OS. The result is very satisfying when streaming both the local files stored on QNAP NAS and Tidal using Roon software and streaming music to UR running as Roon end point.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ga View Post
I’ve recently upgraded DAC40 to DAC50 on my e-470 and I must say that 50 sounds very different from 40. I like 50 much better especially playing DSD. As a streamer I use Sonore ultraRendu powered by UltraCap LPS-1. My music server is a dedicated custom built fan-less server hosting Roon server and running on optimized windows server OS. The result is very satisfying when streaming both the local files stored on QNAP NAS and Tidal using Roon software and streaming music to UR running as Roon end point.
How long have you had the DAC-50? If should improve further with time.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
How long have you had the DAC-50? If should improve further with time.
I have it for about 3 months now. Yes, the sound smoothed out a bit. But it was good right from the beginning.
There’s a couple of observations:
  1. DAC50 is less noisy (almost quiet) on USB compared to 40
  2. If you want the best performance from DAC50 do not connect it directly to your computer using USB but use a dedicated streamer like SOTM or UltraRendu etc. the result is much better.
  3. Use the best and the shortest USB cable when connecting to the streamer. I use a very short Curious USB cable and the result is very good.
Happy listening 👂
Old 03-05-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ga View Post
I have it for about 3 months now. Yes, the sound smoothed out a bit. But it was good right from the beginning.
There’s a couple of observations:
  1. DAC50 is less noisy (almost quiet) on USB compared to 40
  2. If you want the best performance from DAC50 do not connect it directly to your computer using USB but use a dedicated streamer like SOTM or UltraRendu etc. the result is much better.
  3. Use the best and the shortest USB cable when connecting to the streamer. I use a very short Curious USB cable and the result is very good.
Happy listening 👂
Sounds like a decent DAC for the money! Minimal wire too
Old 03-07-2020, 07:54 AM

I have compared the DAC-50 in an E-470 to a DC-901 -> E-470 to a PS Audio Direct Stream Junior -> E-470.

o The DAC-50 is considerably cheaper than the other two.
o The DC-901 is by far the best of the lot compared here.
o The DAC-50 was in my opinion on par with the PS Audio DSJ though they were very different sounds. For some recordings I preferred the DSJ and for others the DAC-50. The DSJ would have been at least double the price of the DAC-50.

All DAC's were being fed directly from a mac mini and JRiver via FLAC files.

The DAC-50 is a great way to get into an Accuphase DAC and having an all in one box solution certainly has its benefits particularly if space for your gear is a premium.

Cheers
Old 03-07-2020, 03:52 PM

I wonder if the better power supply in the E-650 or E-800 will elevate the performance of the DAC-50 further.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:11 PM

I like the DAC-10 so much in my first Accuphase unit(CX-260), that i now want to sell my Denafrips Ares II r2r DAC and invest in either the DAC-50 or the DC-81. HTPC lossless files as my only transport, but will get a streamer in the next few years.

DAC-50 does dsd which is cool. I've had a Tube modded Oppo 105d for demo and it sounded great with all music upsampled to dsd. The Denafrips Ares II sounds lean and dull with dsd. Sounds better NOS PCM. Does the DAC-50 upsample PCM to DSD very well? DSD+price point are it's two big selling points. Negative? I suppose price point for a small board and resale value likely being weak.

DC-81 is from 1986 but it looks overbuilt to the max. I really want a DC-91 but they're out of my price range while i still look for an Accuphase power amp(Currently using McIntosh MC202). I had the opportunity to demo an Audio Note 0.1x DAC which also is only redbook playback. It sounded great and while downsampling my higher resolution and dsd files sounded worse, i have no problem seeking out 16/44 redbook albums to replace the higher resolution. 16/44 playback is fine, but my mind will often be tempted by "newness" in DSD and higher resolution PCM.
Is the DC-81 still a great DAC at their used price point by 2021 standards? Will a recap be a PINTA and expensive? Will a recap even be necessary?

Would either the DC-81 or DAC-50 benefit from a DDC usb to spidf converter and external clock such as the Denafrips Gaia/Hermes/Iris?

Last question: What makes such a small PC board DAC sound so good? Is it using the Accuphase preamp's built in power supply to aid in its sound? I'm just very impressed by such a small package. How is it able to compete with dedicated DACs much more expensive and overbuilt? The DAC 0.1x from Audio Note sounded more musical in the mid range. A touch more lush vs my DAC-10. The older DAC-10 held its own so well and now i'm curious what a jump to the newer DAC-50 or a separate and dedicated Accuphase DAC can do!
Old 04-07-2021, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4STR0 View Post
...invest in either the DAC-50 or the DC-81...
DAC-50 is a no brainer, seemingly compatible with your CX-260.

I still own a DP-80L / DC-81L combo (since 1989). The DC-81 and the DC-81L can only do 16bit (no 24bit) and only 44k and 48k (no higher sample rates).
From 2001 I continued to use the transport, but the the DAC was replaced by professional dCS Upsampler and DAC.
The dCS units sonically outperformed all Accuphase DACs up to DC-800 / DP-700 and are, (with slight sonic differences) just on par with DC-901.

Quote:
Does the DAC-50 upsample PCM to DSD?
No.

Quote:
Would either the DC-81 or DAC-50 benefit from a DDC usb to spidf converter and external clock such as the Denafrips Gaia/Hermes/Iris?
Depends on the clock quality of the source.
I'd suggest Mutec MC3+ USB for reclocking USB (and converting to SPDIF).
But DSD would be downsampled to PCM.

Quote:
Last question: What makes such a small PC board DAC sound so good?
DC-50 is derived from the DAC built into DP-430.
And: an Accuphase is an Accuphase is an Accuphase.

Quote:
The older DAC-10 held its own so well and now i'm curious what a jump to the newer DAC-50 or a separate and dedicated Accuphase DAC can do!
A jump up in sound quality. The DC-50 is technically and sonically up to date.
Separate and dedicated Accuphase DACs are more laborious, but the prices are considerably higher.
And older models are unfortunately technically (and often sonically, depending on what you compare them with) not up to date any more.
Basically the sound of every new Accuphase model is better than the one of its predecessor.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltemi View Post
DAC-50 is a no brainer, seemingly compatible with your CX-260.

I still own a DP-80L / DC-81L combo (since 1989). The DC-81 and the DC-81L can only do 16bit (no 24bit) and only 44k and 48k (no higher sample rates).
From 2001 I continued to use the transport, but the the DAC was replaced by professional dCS Upsampler and DAC.
The dCS units sonically outperformed all Accuphase DACs up to DC-800 / DP-700 and are, (with slight sonic differences) just on par with DC-901.

No.

Depends on the clock quality of the source.
I'd suggest Mutec MC3+ USB for reclocking USB (and converting to SPDIF).
But DSD would be downsampled to PCM.

DC-50 is derived from the DAC built into DP-430.
And: an Accuphase is an Accuphase is an Accuphase.

A jump up in sound quality. The DC-50 is technically and sonically up to date.
Separate and dedicated Accuphase DACs are more laborious, but the prices are considerably higher.
And older models are unfortunately technically (and often sonically, depending on what you compare them with) not up to date any more.
Basically the sound of every new Accuphase model is better than the one of its predecessor.
I appreciate your response. I have not heard any Accuphase before blindly buying this immaculate CX-260 with the AD-10 and DAC-10 option boards. I don't think i'll ever afford the upwards of $10k Accuphase offerings so i'll be a decade or more behind in the used market. I'd imagine you're coming from the experience of jumping up in new units nearly every release. A DC-81 or DC-91 or DC-61 would be a very new and different experience for me. I also wonder how much of their sound is now veiled by out of spec capacitors?
The Audio Note dac i mentioned is only 16/48 and still popular and jumped up in price. I'm inclined to believe you when you say Accuphase DACs improve with every new one because the little DAC-10 holds its own against the AN 0.1x and the Ares II. It still has a slight digital glare which is why i now lean toward r2r dacs. There just isn't much info about the DAC-50. One guy through web search speaks of its sibilance and harshness. 2 major things i don't want to hear associated with a DAC. Then there's that resale money. I'll likely be eating the cost and i typically like to buy what i can make my own money back in resale, ie McIntosh.
Are the DAC-50 available on ebay legitimate?

I probably wouldn't consider older DACs i wouldn't have been able to afford back then if i wasn't so impressed with modern R2R dacs. I take it you're not a fan of the popular non over sampling r2r dacs that can play all resolutions including dsd?

Thanks again for your opinion and perspective
Old 04-07-2021, 12:10 PM

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the DAC-50. Considering the value for selling the Ares II + the DAC-10 if it would even sell. I think it's a good deal! Now the long wait shipping from Japan.

I purchased a used unit, with original box and manual and cd, so no burn in time. The one reviewed who said it was very sibilant and harsh later said it was great after burn in-but he did end up getting a different dac anyway. I think in terms of my system build priority, the DAC-50 will hold me over nicely, while i search for a better power amp, and then at a later time, i can revisit a dedicated dac.

Thanks again.