AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Dynaudio Speakers

Dynaudio Speakers Authentic Fidelity

Old 02-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Default Naim vs. Octave shootout with Contour S1.4

I borrowed an Octave V40SE with KT88 tubes and the Black Box from my Dynaudio/Octave dealer this weekend. I wanted to try this with my Contour S1.4s before I go down the road spending a lot of money to get an upgraded Naim preamp and PSUs.

Well, I think I got enough of a listen today to come to some conclusions....

The bottom line is the Octave is a really excellent and exciting performer. Very open, detailed and neutral. Doesn't color the music, and has lots of PRaT. If I had started over and ended up with it instead of my Naim gear, I could be very happy with it. This is a first class piece of equipment. I listened to a variety of acoustic music on vinyl, including classical music from Hopkinson Smith on the vihuela to orchestral music (Fritz Reiner/CSO Scheherazade), and various jazz.

Right now I have a Naim UnitiQute connected to a Naim 250.2 power amp (and Contour S14s + REL T7 sub). From least to most satisfying I would rate the setups like this (but the differences are more close than earth shattering):

3. Naim UnitiQute alone
2. Octave V40SE/KT88 alone
1. Naim UnitiQute + NAP 250.2
1. Octave V40SE/KT88 + Black Box

Between the two #1s the Octave + BB has a lower noise floor, which I think gives it a more open presentation and soundstage, better detail and more punch. However, it lacks the low-end grip, refinement, and control of the NAP250.2, which is not surprising since that is the 250's claim to fame. OScar Peterson's "We Get Requests" revealed that very well. The Naim 250 is the better amp section, while the Octave surpasses the preamp section of the UnitiQute. No surprises there. Also, at one point I think the Octave lost control of a very sudden and loud lower end dynamic which sounded awful on my Contours. I've never experienced that with the NAP250.

I think what I learned here more than anything, is how much improvement I should be able to get if I add a proper Naim preamp and PSU, instead of giving analog preamp duties to the UnitiQute (which always powers the digital front end, etc. even when I'm not using it). This will lower the noise floor considerably and give me more of what I'm hearing in the mid- and higher-ranges with the Octave.

Another thing to consider, the Black Box really makes the Octave shine. Without it, it's really good but would not satisfy me in the end. If I consider the cost for me to sell my NAP250 and get the V40SE + BB, I could also apply that same added cost to stepping up what I get as a Naim preamp, maybe even to a used NAC282 (which everyone says is really the sweet spot for a NAP250), or a NAC202 with a Napsc and Supercap for the PSU. And I'm very hesitant to give up my NAP250.2 -- it's the kind of thing that I'll never have again if I sell the one I've got.

So in the end, I'm not going to switch to Octave, and plan to add a Naim NAC202 or NAC282. I might go for a 282, get a lower end PSU to start with, and save for a Supercap down the road. The UnitiQute will stay in the system as a 24/192 digital streamer.

In the end, a slight negative I have for the Octave is that the low end is a bit less detailed and controlled compared to the NAP250. IT also gets really, hot while my NAP barely breaks a sweat on it's hardest working days. However, I would love to hear the same comparison with a V70SE and Super Black Box (although my checkbook isn't going anywhere near that). One other thing, I had my UnitiQute connected to the "Front Channel" bypass of the Octave so I could play digital sources, but the Octave kept going into Soft Start mode after a while, thus shutting off output. I had to disable the Octave's Eco mode to be able to use the Qute for digital sources. I don't know if that is a defect or flawed design, but I don't like it.

One other thing I learned is that the NAP250.2 is lousy when cold. I had it off for a couple hours while switching gear around and when I switched it back on, it really needed to stay on overnight before it was fully and completely stabilized again. I normally leave it on all the time.

Last edited by Josquin des Prez; 02-19-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Vinyl, Baby!

I got my new equipment this week. A Naim Audio NAC202 preamp, HiCap and NAPSC power supplies. So far it all sounds fantastic. I was able to play a few records last night. This takes all the good things I observed about the Octave and improves it further.

I hope to get some more listening in this weekend, although I'll be tied up for much of it.

I also ordered a new Naim ND5 XS network player (24/196 and iRadio streamer, DAC). I am replacing my UnitiQute with this. Should have it after next week.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
I got my new equipment this week. A Naim Audio NAC202 preamp, HiCap and NAPSC power supplies. So far it all sounds fantastic. I was able to play a few records last night. This takes all the good things I observed about the Octave and improves it further.

I hope to get some more listening in this weekend, although I'll be tied up for much of it.

I also ordered a new Naim ND5 XS network player (24/196 and iRadio streamer, DAC). I am replacing my UnitiQute with this. Should have it after next week.
Wow Dean!
Serious upgrade!
A step closer to your audio heaven.
Naim makes fine equipment.
Good luck with it!!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 03-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Learning to Listen

There should be some serious, toe tapping going on for quite some time! Congratulations!

.... via phone

Old 03-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Vinyl, Baby!

I am reaching for two-channel listening nirvana.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Dean.......Sounds to me like you are making the right choices. Don't forget how much we like photos.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 03-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Photos after I get the new toy (ND5 XS).
Old 03-09-2012, 02:37 PM

Lots of nice things said about Naim gear but I haven't had the chance to spend time for any extended listening sessions. Keep us posted.

Jim
Old 03-22-2012, 04:41 AM

That is a serious upgrade. Hope it brings you much joy. I use a Naim DAC myself but not with Dyns. I've heard a few however and have contemplated C1s.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:43 AM
Vinyl, Baby!

The ND5 XS came in earlier this week. I've been running it non-stop to burn it in, but so far it sounds as good as any digital source I've heard outside my dealer.

Now I need to expand my digital music collection and find some good iRadio stations. I'll get some pictures together this weekend.