AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 12-19-2019, 07:24 PM

Default Options/recs for VENOM power cables?

I have always run stock power cables, and will be relocating my living room system into a new home - ready to take the plunge and try something reasonably priced that I hope will deliver a noticebale improvement.

Of course reasonable price is relative, when compared to free stock cords LOL

Looking at the Shunyata Venom lineup, here’s what I need to power:

2 X 501
1 X C2300
K-03
May try a YGGY DAC?
Oppo BDP-95
Aurender N100

Interested on your thoughts on specific options (including the new Venom NR stuff). What would you choose and run where?

Grateful for ideas, esp. folks that have an honest first-hand opinon on Venom level stuff vs. stock.

Cheers

Matt
Old 12-19-2019, 11:02 PM

I do not have first hand experience with the NR stuff like Jim and Stephen but after reading many reports from different users, here is what I think that will do with your setup. Off course, the pros can rectify me if I am steering you in the wrong direction.

2 X 501 ........... NR-V10 / Each
1 X C2300 ........ NR-V12
K-03................ NR-V12 or V10 DACs react well to thicker gauge cable
May try a YGGY DAC?
Oppo BDP-95 .... V14 Digital
Aurender N100 .. V14 Digital

Not sure where you should start first with, as what will reap the most benefit.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:15 PM
Cool, calm scientist

I think Serge has nailed it pretty well. Those would be my recommendations.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I think Serge has nailed it pretty well. Those would be my recommendations.
I second that, with the suggestion (in line with Serge's observation of DACs' affinity for thicker gauge cable) that you go with the Venom NR v10 for the K-03. Note that my comparison of that cable to feed my TEAC DAC was made not against a stock cord but rather a high-quality PC that had eaten the stock cord's lunch. The Venom NR in turn took the DAC's performance up another couple of notches beyond that.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:39 AM

Thanks guys, was on the site trying to figure out the difference between all of these.

The NR stuff sounds interesting since I plan to plug straight into the wall (dedicated lines, surge protection at the panel) i.e. may not use power conditioning.
Old 12-21-2019, 04:43 PM

Hello Matt,

When considering what to buy regarding power cords, you may want look at it in a broader perspective and think about power cords as just one of the elements in the “power system”. A power system could be defined as the following elements: the power transformer feeding your home, the electrical panel, the AC wiring in the walls, the wall outlets and finally the power distributor and the power cords. All of your audio components operate in parallel in reference to the power system. The AC wiring in your home is basically a buss connected system so all of your components interact with one another.

To improve an existing power system you want to approach it from a systems analysis point of view. Rather than simply adding a “super duper” power cord and hoping for the best - it is better to look at the elements in your power system and determine which part is the weakest in the system. By improving the weakest element you will get the greatest improvement to performance.

It looks like you have 5-6 components that need to be connected. You didn’t say what type of power distribution you are using to provide power to all those components. If you are simply using a common power strip designed for computer use I would suggest that the power distributor is likely one of, if not the biggest, weak links in the power system. Remembering that all your power cords will pull current from this single device - how it performs is critical to overall system performance. One way to avoid power distributors is to install two quad outlets in the wall. This allows you to plug in 8 components. If that is not feasible a good power distributor is the Venom PS8 which provides 8 outlets.

Once you have a good power distribution solution then you can move on to selecting the best power cords for your components. Remember however to look at power cords with the same system analysis approach. Look for the weak links and replace them first. And then prioritize components that return the largest return on investment. The most important cords in the system start with the cord that feeds the power distributor since ALL current that flows to the components will pass through this cord. Second is usually the power amp(s) and then preamplifier and then the source components. Avoid the tendency to over buy by purchasing an expensive cord for a component but then leaving stock cords on many of your components. It is more important to replace the cords on all components even if they are lower in the model range. You will get a bigger bang for your buck by replacing all cords rather than buying more expensive cords for one or two components.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by CGabriel; 12-21-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:31 PM

Caelin, thank you so much for the detailed and thoughtful response. This is a new build, and I had two 20 A lines installed (nothing sharing them), with surge protection at the panel.

I have a duplex for the two amps on one line, and plan to run all the other components on the other line - which has been split into 4 duplex (room for 8 plugs on the single 20 A run).

My design thus does not include power conditioning as a separate unit, which was driven primarily for space reasons. That's not to say I could not fit something like a PS8 though, but the plan for now was to plug direct to the wall. Hence my interest in the NR cables - would be grateful for your thoughts of their application/benefits in this scenario.

Agreed, would prefer to do everything as a system, so was planning on upgrading all power cords at once - hence the budget, hence the VENOM series, hence the questions

I really do appreciate the advice from folks above, but would love to get your thoughts directly on selecting the correct PC models for my components, esp. the difference between NR-10 and NR-12, where to use the lesser gauge, and also understanding the V14 Digital - in my application, would this be best just for the Aurender server, or should I be using it on BluRay as well (which is also used for music, effectively as a DAC).

Thanks again for sharing your insight, I really appreciate it.

Cheers

Matt
Old 12-21-2019, 10:06 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Hi Matt,
I think Caelin's detailed and thorough reply has provided you with the insights, context and information required to build out your power distribution system. As it seems you will have enough wall receptacles to connect all your components, I think you'll be fine for now to go that route.

I'm also glad to hear that you're going with Shunyata Venom NR power cords across the board, so to speak. An analogy I was taught was is that the AC system in your home can be thought of as a swimming pool, filled with fresh, clean water (the water being the AC power "reserve" required to power your system). Using generic, OEM black power cords is like throwing mud or dirt into the pool...now all the components are seeing the same dirty, muddy water rather than fresh clean water. The NR series of power cords keep noise from your component's respective internal power supplies from coming back out of the components and contaminating the rest of "the pool", so the "water" stays clean. This way, "everyone", i.e., all the components, benefit across the entire system.

As for the power cords for your system, I think the guidance you've received from the gang is correct and accurate. As Caelin pointed out, if using a power distributor, the most important cord is the one that connects the power distributor/conditioner to the wall AC receptable. The next most important one is for the power amp(s). This is because one of the key attributes the amp must be able to do is deliver current as quickly as possible during transients or when the music content is "scaling". Shunyata Research has done extensive research around this key functional response and characterize it as Dynamic Transient Current Delivery aka DTCD. Its the top, #1, requirement for any power cord because DTCD functionality provides a response by the system that listeners overwhelmingly prefer in listening tests as it gives the presentation life, openness, vividness, dynamics, scale and verisimilitude. So, for your power amps, its best to use the largest gauge power cord you can afford in your budget, so the Venom NR-V10s are the ones you want to go with here. Your preamp and DAC can be powered with NR-V12s, but NR-V10s will ultimately provide a more engaging and lifelike experience. If there are budgetary constraints, I'd put an NR-V10 on the pre and an NR-V12 on the DAC. FWIW, I use an NR-V10 on my pre, and an NR-V12 on my Schiit Gungnir MB DAC, and I am VERY happy, so don't discount the NR-V12.

As for the Venom V14Digital. This PC is really designed for digital peripherals e.g. routers, NAS, Ethernet switches, streamers, and network bridges, and/or the power supplies that power these, particularly if these power supplies are the dreaded switch-mode power supply, which cause all sorts of nasties. I would say the V14D would be well-suited for your Aurender, and if you're using your Blu-Ray player for movies as a video source, it would work well there, too (BTW, using one on your TV itself provides notable improvements in the video quality).

However, if you're using the Blu-Ray player as your principal DAC and its outputting to your pre, it might be better to use an NR-V12, or if budget allows, an NR-V10, as it will benefit sonically from the increased DTCD capability.

Hope this helps and let us know if you have any other questions.

cheers,
PC
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-21-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:20 PM

PumaCat has it right.

However, Venom 14 Digital is a special purpose cord and should only be used with computer related devices or digital to digital processors or video scalers. For any component that outputs an analog signal (Aurender) you should use one of our other cables. In ascending order of performance that would be the Venom 14, Venom HC, Venom NR-12 and Venom NR-10.

The Venom HC is particularly good especially when you consider the price. I would recommend if you were using one of our power conditioners like the Delta D6 or Alpha A12. But since you are going straight to the wall I would use the Venom NR Series so that you get the benefit of the localized noise reduction.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:25 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
PumaCat has it right.

However, Venom 14 Digital is a special purpose cord and should only be used with computer related devices or digital to digital processors or video scalers. For any component that outputs an analog signal (Aurender) you should use one of our other cables. In ascending order of performance that would be the Venom 14, Venom HC, Venom NR-12 and Venom NR-10.

The Venom HC is particularly good especially when you consider the price. I would recommend if you were using one of our power conditioners like the Delta D6 or Alpha A12. But since you are going straight to the wall I would use the Venom NR Series so that you get the benefit of the localized noise reduction.

Caelin brings up a good point about the Venom HC. IIRC, there is now an Version 2 of the Venom HC that provides enhanced performance over the original Venom HC.

Just some info for Matt on how I use my Venom V14D Digital power cords: I have mine on 1) powering my Mac Mini, which resides in the bedroom study, 2) one that powers the Meanwell "power brick" that powers my Uptone Audio Ethernet switch, and 3) one that powers my Keces P3 power supply that powers my SOtM SMS-200 UltraNeo network bridge, which outputs a digital signal via a (Shunyata Alpha; amazing!) USB cable to my Schiit Gumby DAC. Nos. 2 & 3 are also plugged into Denali V2. I also use one on my Samsung HDTV to very good effect.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-21-2019 at 10:35 PM.