AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wyred 4 Sound

Wyred 4 Sound Rediscover Your Music

Old 04-28-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
I was not familiar with the different type amps. I have been doing a lot of reading and it sounds like their are good examples in various types of amplifiers. It seems as if the class in and of itself is no longer the determining factor, but more so how it is put together and design throughout. Anyway, the Wyred seems to be on of the very good Class D along with several others. But my ears have got to the the determining factor in this shoot out since all the extraneous factors are in the W4S favor at this point.
Very true, it's just like a DAC chip...you can put the same chip in different designs and get different results. Same with the ICEpower chip, or any IC, I presume.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:02 PM

I think you are exactly right on that one.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:15 PM

Just as a point of clarification, neither Bel Canto or Rowland use ICE Power modules in their latest amps. They have both moved on to much better performing modules in their current designs (primarily Hypex Ncore modules), while Rowland also offers some amps with Class A/B output stages.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:45 PM

I know the Nord amps use the Ncore modules... Bel Canto must have just started using these. It really does come down to implementation.

I know the Bang & Olufsen modules are very highly rated. So it really does come down to the package as a whole. One of the reasons that the W4S received 2016 TAS Editor's Choice Award for both their mono and stereo (dual mono) amplifiers. Wyred 4 Sound also offers some class A/B amplifiers. SST is their other brand and the Son of Ampzilla is an example of their A/B amplifiers. Both W4S and SST are built at their California facilities.

There are many good amplifiers in this range... We will see how I feel about it compared to the Job after it is broken in. EJ said to give it between 300-500 hours to fully settle in.

If initial test are any indication I will probably be keeping the Job, but I definitely want to give the Wyred a fair shot.

Last edited by Randy Myers; 04-29-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:28 AM

The one area that has surprised me about the Wyred so far is the imaging and separation. I did not expect this, but the ST has noticeably better separation...
Old 05-06-2016, 11:52 PM

Well it looks like the ST-500 mkII is staying in the system. It has came very close to the Job in over all musicality and the separation and sound stage is to die for. It is smoothing out nicely, but still has a good 200-250 hours to go to really settle in.

I got to say, holy crap is EJ a genius designer. He took a solid ICEPower class D amplifier output and move it to a whole other realm. Nice job!!!!

I cannot wait to hear the Statement amplifiers which hopefully will be ready to be released shortly!
Old 05-07-2016, 08:21 AM

Randy - Glad that you're enjoying the W4S amp so much! We all have different tastes and priorities in our gear, and you seem to have found your preferred manufacturer.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:46 AM

Thanks Bill... In my view there is so many great companies out there. Many times just splitting hairs for differences. Then other factors become very important also. To me quality of construction, built in the US, warranties, customer service, synergy between the pieces, system integration, etc., all are important.

Sound wise many are very close and just slight advantages here and there. This became the factor here. Oh so close in sound, one a tad better in one aspect and the other in another. So the other factors move up in priority.