AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wyred 4 Sound

Wyred 4 Sound Rediscover Your Music

Old 03-30-2016, 08:53 PM

Default A beautifully designed system

Randy;
I want to note what an absolutely beautifully designed system you have assembled!! Such thoughtful combinations of product that, set up properly in a good space, should result in a wonderfully musical sound.
I believe in synergy between different pieces of equipment and the one's you have, from pre to amp to speakers are all geared towards the same end. Proven to be such! You are a rare bird to have found the Goldmund. I heard their $20k mom amps, low end by their standards, and was very impressed.
I am also very happy with my LS50's; they induce toe tapping every time I listen to them. They make me smile! What more can I ask of a speaker?? So there's an example of how it's not always the dollars that matter. A well designed piece will always work well, so long as the room cooperates. And that's the space that Wyred operates in and helps to explain their current and future success.
When I bought my SX's in '09 I was very surprised by how capable they were. Some time has passed and the tech has only improved since that time. I trust that Wyred will take advantage of the latest and greatest to impress us all and sell lots of product!! Where is that Statement? I'm not the most patient guy...
Old 03-31-2016, 12:07 AM

I was told they are hoping by June.... I guess we will see. I am anxious to check them out ....

And thank you for the kind words. I was a huge KEF fan back in my previous life and I know that I love the British sound. I tried to pick out components that lean towards sound stage, smoothness and imaging.

Last edited by Randy Myers; 03-31-2016 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:26 PM

I am going to try out a new Wyred 4 Sound ST-500 mkII. I will directly compare it against the Goldmund. I do not expect it to be as smooth and open as the Goldmund, but W4S has surprised me before. But I do expect it to match my other equipment, both electronically and cosmetically. I am also hoping to feel some benefits to having a fully balanced system with the W4S amplifier.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:23 PM

Good luck with that Randy - I'm not a gambling man but I'd bet heavily on the Job easily winning that match. Let us know how it goes, I admit to being wrong before.

Last edited by audio bill; 04-24-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:18 PM

Well it does not hurt to compare. The advantages of the W4S in my system are certainly worth actually running the comparison. If the Job sounds significantly better to me with my old ears then I can check that box off. The Job certainly is a very nice amplifier so I know the Wyred will definitely have to prove itself ....
Old 04-24-2016, 06:26 PM

Absolutely correct, if you're curious and don't try it for yourself you'll never know for sure!
Old 04-25-2016, 10:11 AM

I am looking forward to doing the amplifier shot out. The only issue being to give the W4S a fair shot will require a significant break in. At minimal 100 hours to get the sound characteristics of the amplifier. About 300 hours for the amplifier to be fully broken in.

If holds true how the other W4S gear I have were out of the box, I suspect the amplifier will be rather harsh and very bright. This started smoothing out after about 40-50 hours on the pre-amplifier and DAC. Tony from Wyred told me the amps are probably more in need of breaking in than the other components.

So I definitely need to be patient with the amplifier before putting it head to head against the Goldmund.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:08 PM

Hey Bill, With only about 30 hours on the amp I did do a quick comparison. Knowing of course the W4S needs a ton more time to break in. EJ actually said that the amplifier will take as much as 500 hours to totally settle in.

Anyway, with a quick comparison it actually did rather well. The Job was a bit smoother and warmer. This is not surprising since every piece of W4S gear that I have broken in so far came out of the box bright and a tad harsh. The manual for the amp states to expect this also.

The Wyred amp has very tight bottom end, and appears to me to be very controlled.

What was really surprising to me was the imaging and separation. I got to say the Wyred more than held its own, maybe even being a little better. One demo song that I was listening to has two acoustic guitars playing on either side of the vocalist. On the ST I could distinctly hear each guitar and distinctly on both sides while on the Job it got a little muddled in the middle and I found it difficult to pick out each guitars individual strings. This surprised the heck out of me because I distinctly remember this being a strong point of the amplifier when I put it against the McIntosh.

Over all they are both very good. The Wyred needs many more hours to break in. I believe/hope that the brightness and slight harshness smooths out. On each of the other pieces from Wyred 4 Sound they did indeed smooth out as they approached 100 hours.

I believe the Job may be a bit more refined and and maybe a deeper image. Obviously both are very good amplifiers in my view. I believe, after broken in, I could live with either.

By the way, the fit and finish on the Wyred amplifier is absolutely outstanding.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________

Now that the W4S has some more time on it (about 60 hours or so) I decided to do some real serious comparisons. Tonight I made sure to use the Kimber speaker cables and the AQ power cable on both amps, etc.

Well I still think the W4S might have a little wider image, but the Job is showing it's Goldmund heritage. Very accurate, very smooth, very musical. I am going to give it some more time, but I think there is a good reason that the Goldmund version sold through their normal channels is a $15k amp. Gonna give it some more time, but it looks like the Job is probably winning this shoot out.

Last edited by Randy Myers; 04-28-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:14 AM

When all was said and done I decided on the Wyred 4 Sound amplifier. The Goldmund is a sweet sounding amplifier, but after getting some serious hours on it the Wyred has smoothed out very nicely. Very close to the Goldmund in it's musicality to my ears, however in a couple of ways I felt it was much better.

The ST-500 mkII, in my opinion has a tighter hold on the bass. Very solid bottom end and very open in the vocals. But the one area where it really pulled away was in separation and sound sage presentation. That was unexpected, however the W4S amplifier has as good of imaging as any amplifier I have ever owned.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:05 PM

Not to derail the OP's original discussion but is the SX-1000 being discontinued??? I own a set that push my Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL. Great bass but agree they become shrilled in the midrange at high volumes.