AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wyred 4 Sound

Wyred 4 Sound Rediscover Your Music

Old 03-03-2016, 11:49 PM

Yea, definitely a few years... Yea I was a huge Nakamichi fan... can't remember.... I am thinking that was a 682... the table was a KM Audio Linear TD4001, I had a SME III arm and a Grace F9e Ruby... I think it was....

Gave the table and all albums up a long long time ago.... just recently got back into high end music.... wish things were different, but I can't change the past ....

The Teac is a nice DAC.... dual monaural... does DSD 64 and 128, does not do 256... which really is no big deal.... I have one of those just to make sure it works on the W4S ....
Old 03-06-2016, 11:22 AM

The 682 was even newer, with Dolby B & C. My father had the 680 & 681. And if I remember correctly, he actually preferred a JVC KD-A8 over them. He had the JVC for years, then eventually sold it. He just purchased another one a couple years back, rebuilt it, realigned and calibrated it, and now uses it on a regular basis. It does sound darn good and weighs a ton, 25 lbs I think.

I always liked turntables that had the "minimum contact" platters. I'm sure it helps with better sound as even less noise can get through the vinyl and to the stylus.

Just curious, what are your thoughts comparing the Teac DAC to the Wyred DAC? I've read excellent things about both.

Lastly, my brother said he's perfectly happy with my amp in his system. It gives his system a bit more "balls" as he put it. So he's fine with us switching for a long while. It's a win-win situation for the both of us!
Old 03-07-2016, 12:36 PM

Nice and congratulations on the amp!

Hmmm... the Teac versus the W4S. Well feature wise very similar...I like the looks of the W4S because it's casing is similar to the pre-amp. Both are solidly made, although the W4S is a higher level, the connectors they use, etc., are as good as I have seen.

The Teac has the Headphone amp which the W4S does not have. I also like the power switch on the Teac as apposed to the soft off on the W4S.

Dual Burr Brown in the Teac versus the Sabre ESS9018 in the W4S. The DAC-1 LE does go one step higher in DSD, to 256, versus the Teac maxing out at DSD 128. I do have exactly one 256 just to get one, and the seller allow for a download of the 128 version which was required to play that album on the Teac and in the Pono.

Sound wise they are both darn good. The Teac is a tad cheaper unit (PM me if you want to talk further about it). I would say the W4S takes everything, openness, sound stage, tight bass, etc., up a notch or two above the Teac. I could definitely live with either.