AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Pass Labs

Pass Labs 20 Years and Counting

Old 05-19-2019, 03:47 PM

Default Stereophile review of XP-22

A good review by Jim Austin. His summary is consistent with my experience with the XP-22:

"...the XP-22 sounded great: full-bodied, rich-toned, robust, resolving, spacious, essentially neutral."

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...e-preamplifier
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 11-16-2019, 11:46 AM

Default XP 22 - Stereophile Amplification Component of 2019

Congratulations to the Pass Labs team on winning the Stereophile 2019 Amplification Component of the Year for the XP22 preamp. I think it is a well deserved honor...although admittedly I'm biased!

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...component-2019
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 11-16-2019, 12:21 PM

Wait till they hear the XP-32
Old 11-16-2019, 01:55 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Another Great Pass product!!! Congrats Pass Labs.

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:58 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Hmm. I wondered why Stereophile hardly ever reviews preamps anymore...I have to admit I don't understand their "thinking process" much of the time.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Hmm. I wondered why Stereophile hardly ever reviews preamps anymore...I have to admit I don't understand their "thinking process" much of the time.

You prompted me to check. There are 8 preamps in their recommended components list that were reviewed in the last two years, including two Pass models. Given that the trend these days seems to be to eschew preamps in favor of integrated amps, all-in-ones, or digital sources direct to amps, this doesn’t seem unreasonable to me.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 11-16-2019, 04:20 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
You prompted me to check. There are 8 preamps in their recommended components list that were reviewed in the last two years, including two Pass models. Given that the trend these days seems to be to eschew preamps in favor of integrated amps, all-in-ones, or digital sources direct to amps, this doesn’t seem unreasonable to me.
Okay, thanks for checking, Tony. So, on average, that's about a preamp review every quarter.

I'm still of classically-held view the preamp is the heart of a system; and also of the view that the majority of digital-only systems, even if they can be connected directly to an amp and speakers, invariably sounds better when going through a preamp.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:

I'm still of classically-held view the preamp is the heart of a system; and also of the view that the majority of digital-only systems, even if they can be connected directly to an amp and speakers, invariably sounds better when going through a preamp.

Oh, I agree 100% - been there, done that, with my Linn streamer feeding an amp direct. Adding the D’ag preamp made a big difference. I was just pointing out what I think is a growing trend away from preamps and towards digital-direct, integrateds, etc. - more lifestyle products.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 11-17-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveneumann View Post
Congratulations to the Pass Labs team on winning the Stereophile 2019 Amplification Component of the Year for the XP22 preamp. I think it is a well deserved honor...although admittedly I'm biased!
I second the motion!

Disclosure, as if no one already knows. LOL Unabashed fan and owner of Pass Labs equipment, both commercial off the shelf and DIY.

Quote:

As am I. I view the change in the ratio of reviews of separates systems to integrateds similar to the unfortunate trend of abandoning stereo systems in favor of home theater. The publications and writers are simply following or perhaps leading, the trend.

Stereo systems and home theater systems are two different applications. You would not expect your Ferrari to perform as well as your 4 wheel truck well off road and the Ferrari would have an advantage at the Nureburgring.

At present we do not have the technology to completely control electromagnetic effects. You can have all the mumetal, shielding, doghouses, twisted shielded and balanced wiring you want. Isolation achieved by physical distance is always better. This is the reason for separate power supplies of Pass Labs preamps.

The trend toward integrateds and all-in-ones, if there is one, is the third great tragedy in Hi-Fi evolution, the first being the virtual abandonment of analog recording. If as much effort had been put into the development and advancement of analog recording as has been diverted to the development of digital recording we would be in a much better place although I do hold out hope that digital recording can someday be improved to the point that it no longer degrades the original performance.

Hi-Fi has mostly recovered from the Home Theater debacle which resulted in the abandonment of many fine opportunities to audition equipment in local dealers, and there are a delightful selection of alternatives to the integration misadventure but will sadly never recover from the digitization debacle.

One of the greatest things about this forum is the reverence for separates systems. An appreciation for analog being another.

Last edited by SteveJ; 11-17-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:54 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I second the motion!

Disclosure, as if no one already knows. LOL Unabashed fan and owner of Pass Labs equipment, both commercial off the shelf and DIY.

As am I. I view the change in the ratio of reviews of separates systems to integrateds similar to the unfortunate trend of abandoning stereo systems in favor of home theater. The publications and writers are simply following or perhaps leading, the trend.

Stereo systems and home theater systems are two different applications. You would not expect your Ferrari to perform as well as your 4 wheel truck well off road and the Ferrari would have an advantage at the Nureburgring.

At present we do not have the technology to completely control electromagnetic effects. You can have all the mumetal, shielding, doghouses, twisted shielded and balanced wiring you want. Isolation achieved by physical distance is always better. This is the reason for separate power supplies of Pass Labs preamps.

The trend toward integrateds and all-in-ones, if there is one, is the third great tragedy in Hi-Fi evolution, the first being the virtual abandonment of analog recording. If as much effort had been put into the development and advancement of analog recording as has been diverted to the development of digital recording we would be in a much better place although I do hold out hope that digital recording can someday be improved to the point that it no longer degrades the original performance.

Hi-Fi has mostly recovered from the Home Theater debacle which resulted in the abandonment of many fine opportunities to audition equipment in local dealers, and there are a delightful selection of alternatives to the integration misadventure but will sadly never recover from the digitization debacle.

One of the greatest things about this forum is the reverence for separates systems. An appreciation for analog being another.
Well stated - and great illustration!

The sales tide has changed since my last two-channel system purchase many years ago.

Hopefully my new system should be here by the end of the year. The journey has been rather interesting and I believe somewhat illustrates your point:

While I specifically stated I desired a two-channel audio system, the first dealer, who was very nice, tried to sell me on a high-end home theater system instead of a dedicated two-channel system, telling me it would be better and more satisfying overall. I listened, but

When that failed, he had me consider a rather high-end integrated system. While it did sound much, much better for two-channel audio, I wasn't satisfied - the sound stage, imaging, etc. were still lacking. With what the integrated was lacking, IMO, it was, but still wasn't two-channel audio "for me personally." But it was still exceptional and I did seriously consider it.

Only at the last did he try to sell me on a high-end separates. These were absolutely amazing in comparison to everything else I had heard in his shop! This is what I remembered from years ago. But why wait until the very last to show me the best two-channel system he offered (in my price range)? In my book, he should have reversed his recommendations and left home theater completely out of the mix.

Ultimately, I went with another dealer and IMO better equipment.

To my ears, the differences are substantial between separates and integrateds. When one can afford separates financially and space-wise, IMO opt for the separates. And I remain uninterested in home theater - we watch maybe 4-10 hours of TV per week, so a soundbar remains sufficient.

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.