AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 09-05-2011, 10:31 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCC View Post
Hi Matt,

Sorry for asking, what do you mean by " .... ends up being a Stop Gap"?

Jerry
Meaning most of my customers are on the path of obtaining a Shindo speaker at some point - if their room allows. And most other speakers are a temporary solution. Don't get me wrong, there are some excellent speakers on the market... Speaker are tough, since they aesthetically have to fit into a listening environment. For those that have the space and means, the Shindo loudspeakers are a desirable solution for many.

-M
Old 09-05-2011, 11:05 PM

Bplexico,

Very nice setup. I love the look.

Joe
Old 09-05-2011, 11:22 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplexico View Post
Forgot the prerequisite picture - as you can see - I have nothing to complain about...I keep pinching myself how fortunate I am...
Lookin' good, Barr!

-M
Old 09-06-2011, 12:53 PM

Shindo speakers seem to go up in price faster than a cat in heat. The entry level Pietie's were $25, now they are $30k, for non field coil version. Ouch is all I can say. For $30k you can aquire a very nice Shindo pre/amp combo. Just how do you get $30k past your significant other? Its not something you can sneak into the house, like a phono cartriage. For me and my room the O/96's were just a better bet. Who knows, maybe one day, but I am more likely to upgrade to a VR before I change out my speakers. Plus the Latour cabinets are tall, wide, deep and room dominant and my set up is in my living room. Cool in a retro way, and apparently amazing. I am sure a top of the line, all shindo sysytem from turntable to speakers is well over $140k. That my friends must be a very, very small market.

bplexico - what amp are you running to drive your O96's?
Old 09-06-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowens View Post
Shindo speakers seem to go up in price faster than a cat in heat. The entry level Pietie's were $25, now they are $30k, for non field coil version. Ouch is all I can say. For $30k you can aquire a very nice Shindo pre/amp combo. Just how do you get $30k past your significant other? Its not something you can sneak into the house, like a phono cartriage. For me and my room the O/96's were just a better bet. Who knows, maybe one day, but I am more likely to upgrade to a VR before I change out my speakers. Plus the Latour cabinets are tall, wide, deep and room dominant and my set up is in my living room. Cool in a retro way, and apparently amazing. I am sure a top of the line, all shindo sysytem from turntable to speakers is well over $140k. That my friends must be a very, very small market.

bplexico - what amp are you running to drive your O96's?
Yes, very few of us will end up with complete end to end Shindo systems. That is why Matt sells other brands as well as Shindo. The key is trying to optimize the Shindo equipment you do have. I don't have $30K for a Shindo branded Garrard 301 system but I hope to improve my system by adding a Garrard 301/Ortofon SPU that I can put together myself for much less. Don't think I'm going to be getting $65K Field Coil Latour speakers any time soon either but I have easy to drive high efficiency PHY based speakers that work well with small power tube amps. Start with a Shindo preamp, get a Shindo amp a year or two down the line, add some accessories as finances permit and before you know it you will have an extremely nice system. Very few of us have the resources to get an end to end system all at once. But we can realistically think about adding individual pieces over time.

By the way, I think the very top end all Shindo system with all accessories will probably run closer to $200K than $140K.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion
Old 09-06-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelius

Yes, very few of us will end up with complete end to end Shindo systems. That is why Matt sells other brands as well as Shindo. The key is trying to optimize the Shindo equipment you do have. I don't have $30K for a Shindo branded Garrard 301 system but I hope to improve my system by adding a Garrard 301/Ortofon SPU that I can put together myself for much less. Don't think I'm going to be getting $65K Field Coil Latour speakers any time soon either but I have easy to drive high efficiency PHY based speakers that work well with small power tube amps. Start with a Shindo preamp, get a Shindo amp a year or two down the line, add some accessories as finances permit and before you know it you will have an extremely nice system. Very few of us have the resources to get an end to end system all at once. But we can realistically think about adding individual pieces over time.

By the way, I think the very top end all Shindo system with all accessories will probably run closer to $200K than $140K.
WOW, 200k ! I bet that they don't sell many of those for the whole world !
Old 09-06-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
WOW, 200k ! I bet that they don't sell many of those for the whole world !
Sorry but that is a a lot of money for a QRP system
Old 09-06-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Sorry but that is a a lot of money for a QRP system
Scary thing is while Shindo prices have gone up over the last few years they are still much more affordable than other elite brands I can name (Kondo comes to mind). You can still get your foot in the Shindo door with entry level preamp and amp for under $10K I believe.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion
Old 09-06-2011, 05:13 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowens View Post
Shindo speakers seem to go up in price faster than a cat in heat. The entry level Pietie's were $25, now they are $30k
Hi Larry, yes the Shindo speakes have gone up recently, but were stable for the past 8~ years... Only recently have prices risen.

You can still purchase a Shindo Apetite integrated amp - which is hand made, point to point wired and built by Ken Shindo himself - and chock full of NOS tubes - for less than the price of a 1.5M pair of Nordost speaker wire or interconnect.

Just sayin'.

-Matt
Old 09-06-2011, 05:15 PM

Other good alternatives to Shindo Speakers are the Auditorium 23 Solovox, Altec 604, old skool JBLs such as the 4343, Living Voice, the entire Devore line, Teresonic Ingenium, Feastrex Field Coils, and Coral Beta 8s. But the list goes on.