AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 08-14-2015, 05:45 PM

Default MPC-12 on the way

I ordered an MPC-12 for my system. Anyone using this component and what are your impressions after adding to your system?

Are you using venom cords with it, and how do you like them?

Last edited by 2fastdriving; 08-14-2015 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:18 PM

I also have a question about how to use the MPC-12. I know what components Shunyata suggests should be plugged in but there are a few missing from that list:

Cooling fan - my cabinet has a cooling fan. Should I plug into the digital side, or an entirely different power strip?

Turntable - my turntable has a black power cord. Should i plug that into the digital side or an entirely different power strip as well?

I also have a subwoofer with a black cord. Should i plug into the wall instead of the MPC-12?

My thinking is that i want to isolate my main components (pre/dac/amp) which are going to be plugged into the MPC-12 on the analog side with premium cords, from my other components, including my computer, that have black cords. I just don't know if i should go into a separate power strip or plug it all into the digital side.

I'll get premium cords for those components eventually Well maybe not the fan.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:21 PM
From the BAT cave ...

I am using one and have been quite pleased with it. I am currently using the included Venom power cord, but will probably upgrade it later.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
I am using one and have been quite pleased with it. I am currently using the included Venom power cord, but will probably upgrade it later.
Nice! Are you using other venom cords? How would you describe the difference from what you had before?
Old 08-14-2015, 10:00 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Nice! Are you using other venom cords? How would you describe the difference from what you had before?
I use a Black Mamba CX-HC with my Hydra 6 distributor. The MPC-12 was purchased for its digital abilities when I got a new Sonos, Wyred 4 Sound Remedy, and a Silenzio music server. Since it was all new gear for functions I did not previously have, I don't have a comparison to report.

Last edited by chessman; 08-15-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:34 PM

There's a really great deal right now for the MPC-12 bundle at Music Direct! That includes the MPC-12, Venom PC and SS feet for $2250.

One thing I'm not clear on and if anybody can chime in that would be great. Since a Defender is not required with this unit ~ does the analog section of the MPC-12 have filtering tech similar to that used in a Hydra, Defender or none at all?

I've read that the Digital section is similar to what's used in the DPC, but haven't really heard about what's used (if anything) as far as filtering for the analog section.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:39 PM
From the BAT cave ...

IIRC, I asked whether adding a Defender would be worthwhile and was told that it "might" make a small improvement and that if I added one to use it on the analog side. I do not recall if there was an express statement that the analog side had its own filtering.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:50 PM

I decided to go with the PS8 as I only have a couple of components to plug in. As suggested by Caelin I went with the Alpha HC and did go with one Defender plugged into the PS8. I do have another Defender plugged into a empty socket where my amps are connected. Man did these require break-in.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I also have a question about how to use the MPC-12. I know what components Shunyata suggests should be plugged in but there are a few missing from that list:

Cooling fan - my cabinet has a cooling fan. Should I plug into the digital side, or an entirely different power strip?

Turntable - my turntable has a black power cord. Should i plug that into the digital side or an entirely different power strip as well?

I also have a subwoofer with a black cord. Should i plug into the wall instead of the MPC-12?

My thinking is that i want to isolate my main components (pre/dac/amp) which are going to be plugged into the MPC-12 on the analog side with premium cords, from my other components, including my computer, that have black cords. I just don't know if i should go into a separate power strip or plug it all into the digital side.

I'll get premium cords for those components eventually Well maybe not the fan.
Hi, the fan you might plug into a separate outlet. I'd skip a strip here..it may add even more noise.

The turntable depends...if it's just a AC synchronous motor with no computer circuitry, I suspect the analog side. My turntable motor control is essentially a dedicated computer...my system benefited greatly plugging it into my Shunyata DPC-6 (which is similar to the digital side of your MPC-12)

Sub you should try both..I bet it'll like the MPC-12...especially if it's a captive black cord.

Hope this helps some

Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
Preamp: Robert Koda K10 Amp: Ayre MX-R
Cables: Transparent Opus MM2 Spkr, Opus Gen 5 & Magnum Opus Interconnect
Power Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon/DPC-6 v2, Anaconda Zitron cords (x7), Sigma HC (x1), Sigma Analog (x2)
Digital dCS Vivaldi DAC, Transport & Clock w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish & Lyra Atlas, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x2)

Last edited by jfrech; 08-16-2015 at 10:17 AM. Reason: missing characters
Old 08-17-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrech View Post

Hi, the fan you might plug into a separate outlet. I'd skip a strip here..it may add even more noise.

The turntable depends...if it's just a AC synchronous motor with no computer circuitry, I suspect the analog side. My turntable motor control is essentially a dedicated computer...my system benefited greatly plugging it into my Shunyata DPC-6 (which is similar to the digital side of your MPC-12)

Sub you should try both..I bet it'll like the MPC-12...especially if it's a captive black cord.

Hope this helps some

Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
Preamp: Robert Koda K10 Amp: Ayre MX-R
Cables: Transparent Opus MM2 Spkr, Opus Gen 5 & Magnum Opus Interconnect
Power Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon/DPC-6 v2, Anaconda Zitron cords (x7), Sigma HC (x1), Sigma Analog (x2)
Digital dCS Vivaldi DAC, Transport & Clock w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish & Lyra Atlas, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x2)
I think one of the principles is to get all the black cords out of the system (my sub is not a captive cord btw). So that's why I am hesitant to plug any into the mpc-12. Or, I could isolate by putting some of these on the digital side.