AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 10-22-2016, 12:24 AM

Default Alpha HC...wow

I've been slowly adding shunyata power products to my system after visiting caelin at company HQ (not far from me).

I started with several venom cords, followed by the MPC-12 power distributor, followed by alpha HC cords. Funny enough, I was using an AHC on my power amp directly into the wall, and one on my preamp plugged into the distributor. But...The MPC-12 had the venom HC feeding it (comes with it). Sounded good, but nothing earth shattering. I knew at some point I should replace the venom with an alpha, but figured no hurry.

Well, Ivan is having a special promo, so I jumped on another alpha HC to feed the mpc-12. Holy cow.

This was not optional after all. It was immediately better. Everything just popped...more detail and body. Quieter backgrounds, you know the drill.

Just wanted to say that sometimes you can overlook a major weak link for quite a while...think it's no biggie, them BLAMMO!

Alpha HC is quite a big deal, just don't go half way, especially on the amplification.

I still have a few more cords that need to be upgraded to alphas.

Last edited by 2fastdriving; 10-22-2016 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:32 AM

"Nothing Earth shattering"?

That's a little worrisome for me as I just purchased an MPC-12C from Music Direct that was on sale as a demo unit, but I only got it with the Venom HC as I could not afford the Alpha at this time (this is kind of a big expenditure for me and the most I've ever paid for any power type conditioning device).

Still at the price I paid I was hoping for a "wow" this is really good by just adding the MPC-12C and then by eventually adding an Alpha HC I was expecting an even bigger "WOW".

Old 10-22-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
"Nothing Earth shattering"?

That's a little worrisome for me as I just purchased an MPC-12C from Music Direct that was on sale as a demo unit, but I only got it with the Venom HC as I could not afford the Alpha at this time (this is kind of a big expenditure for me and the most I've ever paid for any power type conditioning device).

Still at the price I paid I was hoping for a "wow" this is really good by just adding the MPC-12C and then by eventually adding an Alpha HC I was expecting an even bigger "WOW".

Yeah... That was my experience anyway. I didn't hear much difference until I had an alpha HC feeding the mpc 12, and one coming out to my pre. Hopefully it will still be a step up for you with the venoms.

Before that, I had a Wireworld feeding a rgpc 1200. That also sounded good.

Last edited by 2fastdriving; 10-22-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm currently using a Monster Power HTS 3600 and I've had no issues with it, so I'm going to use that as my reference. I'm really going to scrutinize the performance vs value on this combo once they come in. Both the MPC-12C and Venom HC are demo units, so they should be well broken in by now. But I'll give them a couple weeks in my system before I make a determination.

Last edited by beowulf; 10-23-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:24 PM

Let me know if you need someone to take the default C19 VenomHC off your hands. Sold mine as I needed a longer cable (use Cardas Golden Reference now), but the new place has outlets that are closer.

Looking forward to further impressions from fellow MPC-12 owners. Not much activity in the MPC dedicated thread here...
Old 10-25-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonto View Post
Let me know if you need someone to take the default C19 VenomHC off your hands. Sold mine as I needed a longer cable (use Cardas Golden Reference now), but the new place has outlets that are closer.

Looking forward to further impressions from fellow MPC-12 owners. Not much activity in the MPC dedicated thread here...
PM sent. I got a few spare cords.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:09 PM

If your Alpha HC is new out of the box it will take some breaking in before it settles down. I have one running from the wall to my Denali.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:46 PM

Finally decided to get the Alpha HC to follow the 2 Alpha Digital. I will run to my Mac C2300 pre to benefit 3 sources. Was able to switch back a Python Zitron spdif for the new Anaconda. To say they don't play in the same league is an understatement. The Anaconda is outstanding, the Python much of an under performer. Expecting with the Alpha HC the overall system integration will have arrived. Shunyata, great products that intelligently bought make unnecessary equipment upgrades when what you have is already very good. These cables just make it better.

Jeff