AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 11-22-2019, 10:18 PM
Between 2 LARGE Speakers

Default In case no one remembered,.. today's date in history.

56 years ago today, at 12:34 CST, President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas, Texas. It's somewhat more surreal this year than normal, on this exact day in 1963, it was also a Friday. I can't believe it's been 56 years, it seems like it was only yesterday.

How many folks alive in 1963 remember exactly what you were doing and where you were when you heard the news? I still have the magazines from the days after, of funeral and the aftermath, Look, Life, Time, as well as local and regional newspapers, NY Times, Baltimore Sun, Washington Star and Post, spanning well into January '64.

A sad event in time that should and will never be forgotten. It seems as if everything changed, then slowly went downhill from there.

Coming up, December 8 is the 39th anniversary of the assassination of John Lennon, on December 8, 1980. Next year, it will be 4 decades John's been gone, just as long as he was alive. I don't know if the 8th is on a Monday this year, as it was back in 1980.

As happy as the Holiday seasons are this time of year, I can't help thinking about these 2 events fall smack in the middle of the season. I'll be spinning some vinyl for both Johns, while remembering back to happier times when things still made sense.

I did not neglect to remember Pearl Harbor Day, December 7 (Sunday in 1941) is coming up as well. As a US Navy vet, that day doesn't pass by unnoticed. I've been to Pearl Harbor, stood on the memorial looked down at the remains of the wreck of the USS Arizona,.. the Bunker Crude fuel oil still bleeding from the wreck's tanks, glistening like a rainbow on the water's surface, in the Pacific sunlight.

Interesting fact; there remains some estimated half million gallons of fuel oil still on board Arizona. The Battleships moored on the 'row were all fully fueled, ready to sortie at a moments notice. All ships but Arizona and Oklahoma were salvaged fairly early in WW-II, living to serve again in multiple Allied Theaters.

One more sobering world changing event that also occurred during the holiday season. I'm sort of a history buff, if you go to the History Channel home page, today In History, the top story is about JFK. I wonder how many others remembered what today is, with all that is going on in the world,.. on our TV's today.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:05 PM

Thanks for this reminder. On this date in ‘63 I was in 5th grade. I remember my teacher, Mrs Robinson, being called out of the room and coming back in crying. She told us the president had been shot and we were being sent home early. At only 10 years old, I don’t think I really understood the implications, although my grandmother had died a few months earlier so I was gaining an understanding of death. How upset all the adults in my life were made a deep impression.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 11-22-2019, 11:52 PM

I was attending an antisubmarine-warfare air controller course at the Navy ASW training center in San Diego that morning when the instructor announced that President Kennedy had been shot in Dallas. Class was cancelled immediately.

One impression that remains indelible is the respect demonstrated by Australian naval officers who attended courses there. They donned black mourning armbands as soon as it was announced that Kennedy had died.

Bedroom:
Aurender N150-->Bryston BDA-3-->EMIA Elmaformer Cu passive line stage-->conrad-johnson MF2500-->Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
Wireworld Eclipse IC and SC
Shunyata Delta D6, Alpha XC, Delta NR v.2; Altaira CG Hub
Stillpoints Aperture II; Ultra SS; Ultra Mini
GIK Monster; 242
Butcher Block Acoustics Maple Platforms
Old 11-23-2019, 01:29 AM
Merry Christmas to all

A horrible day in American history. I remember it like it was yesterday. I'll never forget the image of John, Jr. saluting his father's casket. Such a sad sight to witness.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 11-23-2019, 08:28 AM

Yes, I was in 3rd grade, and my teacher left the room talking to the principle which I saw both of them talking. I was giving a speech on the fire drill we just had earlier that morning School was not canceled, but I always thought there was something terribly wrong.

BTW, my parents saw JFK the night before in Ft. Worth. I still remember the casket and the horse behind it traveling down the street.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:12 AM

I remember the moment clearly. I was in 2nd grade and the Monsignor/principal announced JFK’s death over the school intercom. After the announcement, our teacher held a moment of silence to pray for the country. My family also talked about it at dinner that evening. This was my first exposure to a national tragedy.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:13 PM
Remembering Dan

I remember, very much so. I was only 5 years old at the time of the assassination, but remember when the news broke and my kindergarten teacher telling us that the President had been shot in Dallas. I remember the tears at the dinner table that night, and the surreal days that followed that weekend, and the following Monday when the President's funeral was held. I grew up in the shadow of these events, so to speak.

Since the time of the 20th anniversary of the event, with many remembrances and specials airing on television, I've become a huge collector of all things JFK, with many of the items relating to the assassination and its aftermath. Anyone who knows me well and/or have been in my house knows this. My home has become both an audio museum and perhaps a JFK museum of sorts.

In 2014 I visited Dallas, with the expressed purpose to visit Dealey Plaza, the sixth floor museum, and other related sites. Just by chance, I spent a good part of one day in the company of Buell Frazier, who at age 19 had a job at the Texas School Book Depository, and regularly gave Lee Harvey Oswald rides to work. He gave him a ride to work on Friday, November 22, 1963. Oswald carried with him that morning a wrapped package, presumed to be the weapon he used to assassinate the President.

Mr. Frazier just happened to have chosen the same day I had to tour the Ruth Paine home in Irving, Texas, where Marina Oswald (Lee Harvey Oswald's wife) had been staying with Mrs. Paine. It was an interesting afternoon, to say the least, to not only tour the Paine home but to also be in the company of one of the principal players in the drama that shook the world in 1963.

The site of the assassination itself has a surreal aura about it. It's really quite a feeling to look at the curve in the roadway, the former Texas School Book Depository Building, and the infamous sixth floor window. You can feel the history there, that's for sure.

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

High Resolution Source: HP Omen 17" Gaming Laptop
Old 11-23-2019, 02:29 PM

Like Tony I was only ten but remember it well. What I also remember was 6 years ago, the 50th aniv of his death and the number of young people that didn't even know who JFK was, sad. That family had more than their share of tragedy
Old 11-23-2019, 04:35 PM

It's amazing how many of us remember the event when we were so young. I was 7 and remember quite clearly. I also remember all the conspiracy theories as to whether his was dead or not. In 7th grade, I participated in a debate on the issue and I was given the position he was alive. I was amazed at how much material I found to support that position. And recently, shortly after my father passed away, I was going through his things and I found a lot of items from that event: mostly various newspapers and magazines. At the same time, I also found similar items for other significant events like the Apollo moon landing. I never new that he had any of that stuff.

C500, MX123, MC501 (2), MC207, MCD500,
Silenzio, Bryston BDA3, Shunyata Denali 6000/S,
Panasonic UB900, Canton Reference 3K,
Canton Reference 50K, Fresco, Descent
Old 11-23-2019, 05:39 PM

I was 5. I only barely remember seeing it on the old black and white set.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)