AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 11-27-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDP

Mike, how well does it work with our Salon 2's ?
I've been toying with the idea of a tube pre for awhile now. I don't know if I can swing the price though.
I'm going to listen to the new amps for a bit beforeI do anything , butI wanted your feedback on ARC preamps in general,with the Salons.

Thanks,
Mark
I'm interested in this response too!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDP View Post
I've been toying with the idea of a tube pre for awhile now. I don't know if I can swing the price though.
I'm going to listen to the new amps for a bit beforeI do anything , butI wanted your feedback on ARC preamps in general,with the Salons.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark,

I also have the Salon 2 and used to have the XP-10 until it was replaced with the REF 5SE. The REF 5 SE is better than the XP-10 in every way. The difference was obvious right out of the box. I don't mean to say the XP-10 is inferior but the REF 5SE is a couple of notches above the XP-10. The XP10 is a very good preamp for the money.

If you can swing it, I highly recommend the REf 5Se.

My Salon 2s are driven with the REF 250s or Krell Evolution 403E amps.

Rich
Old 11-27-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDP View Post

Thanks,
Mark
Mark and Mike,

Prior to getting the ARC components, I was using Anthem. I was not happy with the system. The change to ARC completely changed (transformed) the system. Initially, I purchased the LS27. Earlier this year, I listened to the Ref 5 SE at my ARC dealer and I was hooked!

Replacing the LS with the SE brought the system to a higher level. The bottom end is fuller and deeper. The soundstage is very wide with very focus imaging. The highs are accurate and not cold at all. It is quite a piece the Ref 5SE.

My Salons sing nicely with the ARC components. I believe the system can improve some more with a better amp. I've been considering options but have not landed on a solution. The DS450 drives the Salons with ease, but I think an amp with the quality of the Ref series would further add to the experience.

Hope this helps! Happy to answer questions...
Old 11-27-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New guy View Post
Mark,

I also have the Salon 2 and used to have the XP-10 until it was replaced with the REF 5SE. The REF 5 SE is better than the XP-10 in every way. The difference was obvious right out of the box. I don't mean to say the XP-10 is inferior but the REF 5SE is a couple of notches above the XP-10. The XP10 is a very good preamp for the money.

Rich
Rich - Can you comment on how the Ref 250s drive the Salons?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post

Mark and Mike,

Prior to getting the ARC components, I was using Anthem. I was not happy with the system. The change to ARC completely changed (transformed) the system. Initially, I purchased the LS27. Earlier this year, I listened to the Ref 5 SE at my ARC dealer and I was hooked!

Replacing the LS with the SE brought the system to a higher level. The bottom end is fuller and deeper. The soundstage is very wide with very focus imaging. The highs are accurate and not cold at all. It is quite a piece the Ref 5SE.

My Salons sing nicely with the ARC components. I believe the system can improve some more with a better amp. I've been considering options but have not landed on a solution. The DS450 drives the Salons with ease, but I think an amp with the quality of the Ref series would further add to the experience.

Hope this helps! Happy to answer questions...
Wait for Mark's review on the Classe CA-M600's.....might be something to consider. I would be concerned that even the Ref 250's would run out of juice driving the (amazing!) Salon 2's. Does the Ref 150 or 250 double down into 4 ohms or is the power constant?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:

Oh interesting....I didn't know we had someone with the Ref 250's and Salon 2's. nice.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovaird View Post
Does the Ref 150 or 250 double down into 4 ohms or is the power constant?
I don't believe the do Mike.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Mike,

The Ref250 and 5se are my first tube equipment so I had a lot of reservation before buying and the fact that the Salon 2s are difficult loads. I spoke to Dave Gordon and he thought the REF 250's would have enough power to drive the Salons.

I bought the 250s without a demo so I was expecting typical tube sound - warm dark sound with soft bass. Well to my surprise, the 250s sound more like solid state amps than tubes. It has very clear and detailed sound and very solid bass even with a tough load. In fact, the Krell sounded a bit dark in comparison to the 250s.
The mid and soundstage is what makes the 250s special. There is just more depth and 3D like imaging. Vocal is very smooth, sweet and enjoyable. The low is very good but it does not have the grip of the Krell.

As for power, I don't think the amps are straining and I don't sense any constriction in dynamics when listening at moderate level. My room is about 16x25 with an open floor plan. I did find the 8 ohms tap to sound a bit better in the low end compared to 4 ohm taps. The amps operate fairly cool with the fan in low speed. I never had to use high speed.

So far, I am pretty happy the 250's and I am only at 300 hours so it's only going to get better.

I am going get a couple of anaconda CX cords for the 250s this weekend. They will replace black mamba hc cords.

Rich
Old 11-28-2012, 06:50 AM

Thanks Rich! That gives me something to think about...
Old 11-28-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New guy View Post
Mark,

Rich

Thanks Rich,I would expect that the Ref 5se outperforms the XP 10. Can you describe what kind of sonic differences you've heard ?
Since we both have the same speakers, I'm very interested in your opinion !

Mark