AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Isolation, Tips & Tweaks

Isolation, Tips & Tweaks Enhance your enjoyment

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 11-08-2020, 05:26 PM
PHC1's Avatar
PHC1 PHC1 is online now
Stream-O-Phile
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pa
Posts: 21,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Now you're trying to tell me what I think and how my mind works, and with all due respect, you're out of bounds on that one, Serge. I, for one, am NOT convinced easily. If I didn't hear an improvement or have a more enjoyable or engaging experience with any of the devices in my system, I simply would not use or buy them, regardless of what measurements or others may or may not say. I don't go in for frills or frou-frou or frippery. Either it sounds better or it doesn't. If it doesn't, it goes. If it does, it might stay, but only if I think it provides a compelling value proposition. I don't have any agenda other than creating the most natural and enjoyable listening experience I can for myself when listening to music.

As for my reviews, I am simply write what I hear and experience as accurately as possible. It's not written for manufacturers or advertisers. If readers with shared sensibilities find that what I write to be informative enough for them to consider evaluating these products in their own system, its job done.
Stephen, you are not convinced easily and neither am I. Iíve had a lot of fun with this hobby since the late 80ís. Iíve seen, witnessed, listened, touched, auditioned explored and experienced just about all the gear that was available to the US market during the 90ís and 2000ís having stopped in the last 10 years and there is no way to keep up with all the new stuff. Iíve read magazines from cover to cover, Iíve met and spoken to the people at the front of the industry at both shows and various dealers. Philly and surrounding areas were blessed and still has a few very well stocked high end dealers, with mild to wild.

So excuse me if I sound skeptical on certain things my friend. I know whatís what in the hobby pretty well. I know the silence of the racks or racks of silence from the footers to the cables and fancy boxes with high quality outlets.

You do what you do and your heart desires and I will continue to express my opinions the way I see things. I think Iím also entitled to an opinion challenging the print.
__________________
Main System Luxman D-06U Luxman L-590AXII
Prima Luna Dialogue HP Harbeth 30.2 40th anniversary
HeadphonesWoo Audio WA6 Audeze Deckard Prima Luna Dialogue HP ZMF Auteur Blackwood
Sennheiser HD600
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 11-09-2020, 04:50 AM
Levitator's Avatar
Levitator Levitator is offline
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sunshine State, Australia
Posts: 576
Default Coupling vs Decouplling: What you need to know

Just because it hasnít been proven, doesnít mean it doesnít exist...
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 11-09-2020, 06:59 AM
tima tima is offline
Living La Vida Vinyl
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
...
Good thing reviewing gear is part believing in what you hear and part romantic novel writing skills, telling the readers what they should hear and most importantly what the manufacturer needs to hear you say. All this very often without a shred of scientific evidence backing it up. In fact the recent articles that I posted on how we all hear different, how we perceive the memories which can be false and how short the audible memory is.
"Good reviewing" does not tell the reader what they should hear - it should tell the reader what the reviewer hears. The manufacturer needs the review to describe the product with technical accuracy so the product is correctly presented to the reader. The manufacturer has no say in sonic descriptions.

Not sure what you mean by "all this without a shred of scientic evidence...". It is easy to assess if a product desciption does indeed describe the product. A reviewer's cogent description of what he hears is empirical evidence.

Since we are humans I suspect we all hear more similarly than differently. Of course there are small anatomical differences across instances of the species. But the human hearing mechanism is pretty much what it has been since the start of sound reproduction. I agree we do have different preferences.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 11-09-2020, 12:41 PM
PHC1's Avatar
PHC1 PHC1 is online now
Stream-O-Phile
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pa
Posts: 21,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitator View Post
Just because it hasn’t been proven, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist...
There are instruments to measure vibration. Very precise in fact. I would never disagree that various materials could potentially" shift" the resonant frequency of a component sitting on top. Passive devices can only shift as every material has its own resonant frequency.

Active devices, such as scanning microscope vibration isolation tables are excellent at removing vibration actively and cost on some has come down. Have at it... Believe me, these are much better than anything you will find in the hobby.

https://www.minusk.com/products/bm8-...isolators.html


Now, so what does it all mean? Where is the proof that electronics will shift their parameters with vibration? There is none. A very small measurable effect sometimes can exist with certain capacitors but this is insignificant for our hobby. We are talking about earthquake grade vibrations....


Do we not agree then that the EAR itself should be the instrument? Yes! This is what matters. So why not play a steady tone, better yet , PINK NOISE, sit down, see if you can pick out ANY difference in tone or focus or a shift in the soundstage as your friend or spouse takes a preamp for example and places it on a vibration device of your choice or simply hold it in hands or shake it...

Let me know! I have done this with my friends extensively over 20 years ago with various materials for a few years trying to improve things to the MAX. Amps, preamps, CDP, DACs, (not turntable or speakers as that is obvious)




What does an AUDIO MANUFACTURER THINK? I love this video of Paul McGowan. One would think with a system serious as his, he would invest into a few more of the German isolation platforms. It's not like he can't afford them. But... he walks his statement carefully on a leash to come to the following conclusion and his philosophy on racks and isolation platforms...

Enjoy https://youtu.be/DvMFoZutSbw
__________________
Main System Luxman D-06U Luxman L-590AXII
Prima Luna Dialogue HP Harbeth 30.2 40th anniversary
HeadphonesWoo Audio WA6 Audeze Deckard Prima Luna Dialogue HP ZMF Auteur Blackwood
Sennheiser HD600

Last edited by PHC1; 11-09-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 11-09-2020, 12:58 PM
PHC1's Avatar
PHC1 PHC1 is online now
Stream-O-Phile
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pa
Posts: 21,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
"Good reviewing" does not tell the reader what they should hear - it should tell the reader what the reviewer hears. The manufacturer needs the review to describe the product with technical accuracy so the product is correctly presented to the reader. The manufacturer has no say in sonic descriptions.

Not sure what you mean by "all this without a shred of scientic evidence...". It is easy to assess if a product desciption does indeed describe the product. A reviewer's cogent description of what he hears is empirical evidence.

Since we are humans I suspect we all hear more similarly than differently. Of course there are small anatomical differences across instances of the species. But the human hearing mechanism is pretty much what it has been since the start of sound reproduction. I agree we do have different preferences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
"Good reviewing" does not tell the reader what they should hear - it should tell the reader what the reviewer hears. The manufacturer needs the review to describe the product with technical accuracy so the product is correctly presented to the reader. The manufacturer has no say in sonic descriptions.

Not sure what you mean by "all this without a shred of scientic evidence...". It is easy to assess if a product desciption does indeed describe the product. A reviewer's cogent description of what he hears is empirical evidence.

Since we are humans I suspect we all hear more similarly than differently. Of course there are small anatomical differences across instances of the species. But the human hearing mechanism is pretty much what it has been since the start of sound reproduction. I agree we do have different preferences.

The human hearing is different enough where there is a certain preference or strong aversion to specific genres of music. It is not only a cultural thing, it is a physiological thing as it turns out.
https://knowledgenuts.com/2016/03/31...0hear%20sounds



We can still all agree that a drum is recognizable from a violin. Neither of those two instruments will ever sound the same to two people. But that's biology/physiology...

What I realized over the years is that in this hobby we really often do love the gear as much if not more than music itself.

I'm not a musician and certainly not an expert in music but... I was having a discussion with a guy I met through my friend who had a magnificent for the time Mark Levinson system with cables over $10k which was a lot for those years. We talked music and listened. The guy could not tell an alto sax from a tenor sax, he did not know what a TUBA is, he could not tell me the lowest frequencies of the piano when we discussed bass qualities. The conversation turned back on his plans to upgrade the system instantly. That's fine, it is what it is for every individual.

When I asked what type of music he listens to, he mentioned mostly Jazz and Blues but could not name more than 3-4 performers in each category. Alrighty then, the priorities there were very obvious to me. Whatever turns you on I say.



By the way, I don't mean to dissuade anyone from anything. It's your hobby, your money, enjoy it. If you hear something, you hear it and enjoy it.
__________________
Main System Luxman D-06U Luxman L-590AXII
Prima Luna Dialogue HP Harbeth 30.2 40th anniversary
HeadphonesWoo Audio WA6 Audeze Deckard Prima Luna Dialogue HP ZMF Auteur Blackwood
Sennheiser HD600
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Add Powr
Add Powr
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase