AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 02-28-2013, 06:55 PM

I'm in the same boat so to speak. I've got a Panamax 5100 but, I'm worried it's not sufficient for my current setup. I've been looking at APC as well, why would you pick Furman over APC? just curious.

Last edited by Thebenz; 02-28-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:04 PM
Greetings from NC

I am thinking I will go with the Furman Elite 20 PFi since I have McIntosh MC601 mono amplifiers being delivered next week and will plug these to the power unit. The amperage reserve is what I am looking for. The unit comes with both a 15 amp and 20 amp cord. I have called the electrician to bring 20 amp to the room but until then will use the existing 15 amp outlet. I would also like to hear from fellow AA's to see what they suggest for a power unit for a system with McIntosh MC601s and C2300, Esoteric K-03, Rega TT, Sonos, etc.
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack
Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 PM

The Bryston BIT power units and Torus units are supposed to be really good as is Furman's Reference line.

FurmanSound.com - Home Theater Product - IT-Reference 20i

Bryston Limited: BIT20 Power Conditioner

Torus Power
Old 03-01-2013, 05:11 PM

Not to rob your thread here but, with the Panamax, you are getting a conditioner and surge protection right? The panamax is confusing to me because I don't think it is actually converting to cleaned 120v is it? (based on the discussion here).
Old 03-07-2013, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebenz View Post
Not to rob your thread here but, with the Panamax, you are getting a conditioner and surge protection right? The panamax is confusing to me because I don't think it is actually converting to cleaned 120v is it? (based on the discussion here).
There is a little confusion in this thread.

A few of the Panamax's can regen power. The lower models DO NOT, they just provide noise isolation (like the furman reference line, more of that below). The current models that can do this are the Panamax m5400pm and m7500pro.

Both have dedicated jacks for that conversion of power (i.e. not every jack is converting power.) Obviously the high current Jacks are where you would connect your amp / receiver / sub. All jack's have their own profile for noise isolation.

So the panamax tries to combine multiple features into a single unit (voltage regulation + instant high current capacity on those two models listed). The Furman's break up their benefits into TWO units.

The Furman SPR-20i is a voltage regulator, it puts out a rock solid 120V +- a small error band, but it's current capacity isn't the highest.

The Furman IT-Reference 20i on the other plate does not regulate voltage in a conversion sense.

Ideally if you talk to Furman (in the same business is Panamax btw, same parent company) they would suggest running the Furman SPR-20i first plugged into the wall, then connected to the SRP-20i run their IT-Reference 20i. You would plug in all your high current items off the IT-Reference.

This will provide a very steady 120V power supply into the IT-Reference 20i, and that unit will provide further noise isolation, but more importantly employ their power factor design (allows instant hits of current over 60 amps for transients).

That's the nut of it. Plenty of other great companies out there.

I was running the M5300 + 5400 for a while, decided to step into an M7500pro the other day since they are discontinuing that line now, so major discounted everywhere.

The m5400 "guts" were shown earlier, here is the M7500, it's more in line with a HIGH end unit we all would expect to run (tipping the scales at ~40lbs)

I hope this helps a few! I'm looking forward to learning some things from you folks, i've been a lurker here for years, decided to finally join.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:03 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

kamiraa... Welcome!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 03-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

I have a Furman, Ref 20i & 15i, Elite 15. I do not run my power amps thru any of the Furmans, sounds best straight into the wall. The SPR20i is not a regenerator. It has a multi tap inductor which is controlled by an electronic circuit board. The controller selects the correct tap to keep its voltage at 120vac.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
kamiraa... Welcome!
Thank you Ivan, i've always been a fan of your setup(s)!

I'll post pictures of my really modest setup later this week.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelahanty View Post
I have a Furman, Ref 20i & 15i, Elite 15. I do not run my power amps thru any of the Furmans, sounds best straight into the wall. The SPR20i is not a regenerator. It has a multi tap inductor which is controlled by an electronic circuit board. The controller selects the correct tap to keep its voltage at 120vac.
Your correct it's what is called an auto-transformer with a microcontroller behind it.

Since I don't have their schematics I can only speculate how I would typically implement this design.

Within the transformers are inductors (which resist the change of current instantly). When not enough current is available (current limiting) voltage will decay. What the auto-transformer does is fire off "stages" of constant current supplies, until it is about to overshoot, then it will shut down that stage (probably shunt it). It will keep playing this game very quickly to perform the COARSE voltage regulation, which will attempt to regulate the bus even under max current draw situations.

You can go further with this design, and have a secondary form of regulation. Remember they are also using this transformer as a method to isolate noise. When you are clean, you can implement other strategy.

But more importantly I wanted to touch on your second point. I don't know why this is. A local retail store running McIntosh monoblocks to B&W 802d, powered by a furman reference it20 mentioned the same thing to me. They said it sounded not as lively then when powered by the wall outlet.

I'd love to do some data logging and see whats really going on in that situation, but I don't have big monoblocks (yet), only a big Denon AVR-4520ci powering everything.

A lot of people in the audio world represent "feelings and perceptions". But as an electrical engineer anything with a signal should allow me to characterize to envelop this response. Then it would just involve going back to the drawing board to produce this response.

In something simple as a power conditioner vs. amp I would guess that something in the filtration is blocking current flow for these instantaneous changes. Who knows, but I'm intrigued!

Last edited by kamiraa; 03-07-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:09 AM

Wow, excellent information. What I'm trying to figure out is if I should buy surge protection. I have a Panamax 5100. Should I run that to the outlet and buy a surge protection type unit off of the panamax? (Like your Furman example?)

Chris