Salvatore Accardo, Violin and Director
English Chamber Orchestra
-

Heinrich Schiff - Cello
Neil Black - Oboe
Graham Sheen - Bassoon
Bruno Canino - Harpsichord

A Philips LP box set - two LP's

No real frame of reference to compare this with another recording. I can just say that at the low volume I'm listening early this morning, this is very nice and seemingly very well played - by some stellar performers.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 04-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Genuflector

Adding just a touch more variety to the 18th century musical potpourri, I just finished listening to these Benda symphonias (1 thru 6). Light, airy, pleasant music to help mentally address today's rather overflowing work-related inbox.

Good SQ, and very good performances. No complaints... next, I may even cue up volume 2 of this set.

Let me add an interesting fact on these performances: The very fine cellist (Christian Benda, also a composer and conductor) is in fact a direct descendent of the 18th century family of composers of the same name - a dynasty really, as several of his ancestors (including Jiri), in various capacities, were employed by the court of Frederick The Great. Nice to see lineage like this in the world of classical music IMO.

Cheers all!

Last edited by tsv_1; 04-12-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:47 AM

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lPiWph_Xp8]Benjamin Grosvenor - Chopin, Liszt, Ravel - Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

This guy is just phenomenal...

Am stunned by his playing... listening to Benjamin Grovesnor playing Chopin Liszt Ravel... the Ravel Gaspard Ondine is the closest I've heard to making a piano sound like it's being played underwater... great album.

Graham

Last edited by audiot servant; 04-12-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
^ Click on it!
I am sorry I did. I got a page offering the download (but without a better picture) followed by an annoying and irrelevant advertisement.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Genuflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant View Post
Benjamin Grosvenor - Chopin, Liszt, Ravel - Trailer - YouTube

This guy is phenomenal...

Am just stunned by his playing... listening to Benjamin Grovesnor playing Chopin Liszt and Ravel... the Ravel Gaspard Ondine is the closest I've yet heard to making a Steinway sound like it's being played underwater.

Graham
Holy mother of prodigies... this kid is a phenom! That disc just elbowed it's way to the top of my wish list. Great find/post!

Not sure I followed your comment Graham re: "closest I've yet heard to making a Steinway sound like it's being played underwater."... did you mean that it does not sound like it's being played under water? Sorry if I missed the dry humour in your wet reference.

Wait... you were referring to how amazingly liquid this performance is... correct? Do I win a prize?

BTW... your posts nearly always make me laugh. Thank you for that!

Last edited by tsv_1; 04-12-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:08 AM

Thanks Todd... I had a big day and bought nearly a dozen albums of piano music today and am loving every one of them... but this is special. 24/96 Hi-res at Linn if you like.

Graham
Old 04-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Genuflector

Quote:
Thanks Todd... I had a big day and bought nearly a dozen albums of piano music today and am loving every one of them... but this is special. 24/96 Hi-res at Linn if you like.

Graham
Graham, wrt exceptional piano performances... have you heard this? One of my favs. Outstanding in every way.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/class...tml#post287551
Old 04-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Genuflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
I am sorry I did. I got a page offering the download (but without a better picture) followed by an annoying and irrelevant advertisement.
Hmmm... it sent me to AllMusic where I could listen to a few (rather nice) samples. No adverts. Perhaps my virtual security forces are configured differently than yours.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsv_1 View Post
Graham, wrt exceptional piano performances... have you heard this? One of my favs. Outstanding in every way.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/class...tml#post287551
Yes, thanks Todd - I checked it out back when you first posted... am not sure if classical is a fading area of musical interest or not but there is certainly no shortage of brilliant pianists out there... but I am still on the bring back Janos Starker from the other side bandwagon...

listening to Janos Starker playing Kol Nidrei atm

Graham

Last edited by audiot servant; 04-12-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:43 PM
A happy little vegemite..

Quote:

listening to Janos Starker playing Kol Nidrei atm

Graham
Oh my - what a lovely album.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach