AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 06-11-2020, 06:33 PM

I'll be in the market for 800 D3 and HTM1 D3 soon to replace my 802N and HTM1N. But I'm wondering two things:
1) Company Future
2) D4's on the very close horizon

Thoughts?
Old 06-11-2020, 09:13 PM

I think they always wait at leas 5 years for the 800's series, so that would be at least early 2021 for a new version.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:49 AM

So far it has been exactly 5 years in between 800 generations, so if they stick to tradition 2020 is the year for a new launch. D3 was launched 2015.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krustycat View Post
I think they always wait at leas 5 years for the 800's series, so that would be at least early 2021 for a new version.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4music View Post
So far it has been exactly 5 years in between 800 generations, so if they stick to tradition 2020 is the year for a new launch. D3 was launched 2015.
That is simply statistics. (I only believe the statistics I falsified myself. LOL).

Seriously though: B&W launches successor products only when they finished developing a truly (audibly) improved version.

BTW it was 6 years, not 5 (2004 / 2010 / 2016).

Martin
Old 06-12-2020, 10:46 AM

Check out the date on the following link https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...zrzDIDycK0YMCU
And also I have D3 since 2015 So I am pretty sure about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltemi View Post
That is simply statistics. (I only believe the statistics I falsified myself. LOL).

Seriously though: B&W launches successor products only when they finished developing a truly (audibly) improved version.

BTW it was 6 years, not 5 (2004 / 2010 / 2016).

Martin
Old 06-12-2020, 06:19 PM

Latest news. Bowers just took back control!
Old 06-12-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
Nope. The most latest news is that Sound United is buying B&W!!
Old 06-13-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Nope. The most latest news is that Sound United is buying B&W!!
This is inaccurate and irresponsible. If an offer or indication of intent exists, neither can or should be represented as a closed deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
The creditors maintain control, even if Bowers will be managing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdvidguy View Post
I'll be in the market for 800 D3 and HTM1 D3 soon to replace my 802N and HTM1N. But I'm wondering two things:
1) Company Future
2) D4's on the very close horizon

Thoughts?

I'm confident in the product as long as folks like Geoff Edwards and Patrick Butler are around. I don't recall that the D to D2 was a monumental advancement in sonics. D2 to D3 was. I'm dubious that a D4 will bring 2-3 level sonic improvements.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:16 AM

To be clear:

BOWERS & WILKINS IN TALKS WITH SOUND UNITED
World-leading premium audio business Bowers & Wilkins begins negotiations with Sound United to explore a possible combined future
Worthing, June 13th, 2020

Bowers & Wilkins, one of the most widely respected names in premium performance audio,
has begun early stage talks with Sound United LLC, parent company to Denon, Polk Audio, Marantz, Definitive Technology, HEOS, Classé and Boston Acoustics to explore opportunities for the two businesses to combine.
“Discussions between Bowers & Wilkins and Sound United are at an early stage with a view to consolidating our premium brands into a new group offering even better consumer opportunities.
If our discussions are successful, combining Bowers & Wilkins’ engineering and manufacturing expertise in the premium category with the breadth of resources and capability of Sound United could certainly
be a transformative step for both brands. It would allow the Bowers & Wilkins team even greater opportunities to focus on what we do best – building the industry’s finest loudspeakers,” said
Geoff Edwards, CEO of Bowers & Wilkins.
Should the two brands decide to move forward, Sound United would acquire all worldwide third-party distribution and licensing agreements under which Bowers & Wilkins premium audio products are currently sold. This does not affect any of the existing Bowers & Wilkins product portfolio or any of the products Bowers & Wilkins currently distributes or current global operations.

For more information, please contact:

Andy Kerr Lucette Nicoll / John Nicoll
Director of Product Marketing & Communication Nicoll Public Relations
+44 (0) 7590 735140 781/789-6000 / 617-470-9906
andy.kerr@bowerswilkins.com lucette@nicollpr.com john@nicollpr.com

About Bowers & Wilkins
Bowers & Wilkins, founded in the UK in 1966, has been at the forefront of high-performance audio for more than 50 years.
Bowers & Wilkins designs and manufactures precision home speakers, headphones, custom installation and performance car audio products that set new standards for innovation and sound quality, earning countless awards and accolades from the world’s leading recording studios and musicians. Bowers & Wilkins’ reputation is based on the unwavering pursuit of the best possible sound and an unsurpassable music listening experience. Learn more at www.bowerswilkins.com

About Sound United
Sound United owns an award-winning portfolio of audio brands that deliver industry-leading home theater and personal audio listening experiences for a wide-range of consumers. Each brand provides an expansive array of audio products that includes
high-end and custom installation audio, to mid-tier markets that cover loudspeakers, sound bars, AV receivers, wireless multi-room music systems, Bluetooth® speakers, amplifiers, turntables and headphones.

Dedicated to artfully reproducing audio for listeners and enthusiasts around the world, Sound United is comprised of Denon®, Marantz®, Polk Audio, Classé, Definitive Technology, and Boston Acoustics®. Each brand offers a unique approach to bringing home theater and music to life. Whether it’s through the legendary heritage of Denon, the classic sound of Polk Audio, the premium performance of Definitive Technology, the highly-sought-after amplification of Marantz, or the accessible performance
of Boston Acoustics, Sound United is your sound — so listen. For more information on Sound United, please visit www.soundunited.com.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4music View Post
Check out the date on the following link https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...zrzDIDycK0YMCU
And also I have D3 since 2015 So I am pretty sure about it.
800 D3 Series was launched in 2015, but not the flagship model 800 D3, which started selling in 2016 (50th anniversary), .

The video shows the manufacturing of the 802 D3 (800 D3 Series).

I only considered the flagship models 800 D (2004), 800 D2 (2010) and 800 D3 (2016).

Martin