AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Vivid Audio

Vivid Audio Auditory Acuity

Old 10-29-2015, 03:28 AM

That's just sad, but I think the majority of blame here falls squarely on the dealer, as they should have handled things much better.

I'm shocked that the dealer also didn't let the owner just keep the originals while the replacements were being made.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:20 AM

Hello BillK

The owner still has the original speakers, however the mid range driver gave up the ghost, it took an intervention by the designer to make sure the owner received a replacement driver which he fitted himself!
Old 10-30-2015, 01:44 AM

That's the hallmark of a bad dealer; they're not supposed to just take your money but rather to deliver the product properly and provide ongoing service as needed.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:59 PM

FWIW, replacing the drivers isn't very hard, I've had to do it on my B1s (my dealer quit carrying Vivids, long story, but not because they are bad speakers).

I agree that the gaskets that they use suck; I ended up replacing some of them as well.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:38 AM

Why did you replace the gaskets? Not because they became discoloured i hope. As stated elsewhere, baby oil works a treat.

More of a potential issue is if you have an problem with a mid- bass driver. There is a bolt that holds the two drivers together and its not corrosion proof ( and i live in a humid city). Hopefully my little issue was a one off as the importer was contemplating everything bar explosives to get my mid bass driver out. It was like a bad episode of the country vet tv series/books "All creatures great and small", stuck for hours straining while up to almost the shoulder in the back end of a ............B1. They got it in the end but it was touch and go for a bit.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
FWIW, replacing the drivers isn't very hard, I've had to do it on my B1s (my dealer quit carrying Vivids, long story, but not because they are bad speakers).
Not hard but very dangerous as even (seriously) breathing on the domes hard is enough to dent them.

Why do I know? My dealer managed to do it when replacing a driver.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:28 AM

The B-1 seems to suffer from cone issues, the owner that had the problem with the G3 previously had B-1's previously, they had numerous cone and driver replacements as well.

I feel the main crux is servicing the customer correctly when an issue arises making it as painless as possible.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:51 PM

By the way, an earlier post mentioned overspray even onto the speaker terminals, and I don't know how that would happen given the cabinets are I believe sprayed before the wiring is in place.

As far as the difficulty of removing drivers, I will repost a few photos from when my dealer had to replace a midrange on my G2 that was damaged during install:

Old 01-23-2016, 11:17 PM

What a saga.

Am I the only one who finds a common theme around the web about people needing to replace drivers on these speakers quite often? Not sure, maybe the owners of these things tend to play louder than owners of other brands but I see driver replacement occurring way more often with the Vivids than any other speaker. I mean hell, there's even directions freely available on how to perform the replacement which I find very rare and curious.

What's the story here, are the drivers that fragile or do they play so clean at loud volumes that there is no sign of breakup before it's too late? They seem to have a rather high RMS power recommendation by the manufacturer so I also wonder if part of this is due to folks under powering them. After all, 800 quality watts isn't cheap!

Last edited by audiomania; 01-23-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:51 AM

Physically fragile- yes. Very low mass drivers are fragile. B&W have similar issues with their tweeters. Difference is that Vivid intentionally use the same principle on all their drivers, not just the tweeters.

As far as thermal/electrical problems with the driver, Dicky says he has not had a failure yet. They are very robust, not that i have pushed them to nightclub levels myself. You can play them loud, just don't touch them. Its a consideration for future owners but everything in life is a trade off. I still love my speakers 2 years in. It does create one issue. My drivers are dusty and i'm too scared to clean them. Cabinets, yes, drivers.......whats a bit of dust.