AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 07-12-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtudoor View Post
Gentlemen:

I don't know if anyone still reads this forum or not but I hope they do 'cause I really need some help. I had a working 7.1 ch system with an SP2. It was replaced by an SP3. The first time I turned the SP3 on a few days ago I have no sound. I am working with Mr. Stan B. at Bryston but that is a drawn-out affair. I would like to eliminate the cables that go from the processor to the amplifiers and the cables that go from the amplifiers to the speakers and the amplifiers themselves this weekend. For the record I have B&W Diamond speakers plus Bryston 14BSST, 7BSST, and 9BSST. I am using an Oppo BDP-95 player. I think I read somewhere that I could theoretically set up the Oppo to decode the digital signal and pass the analog directly to the amplifiers. Is that correct? So far I have no sound out of any speaker, no error messages on the SP3 and it won't even run the pink noise test. I believe the Oppo is running correctly as it shows HDMI1 and HDMI2 out and I can watch a movie albeit no sound. Any help from the qualified masses will be greatly appreciated.

Jim Copeland - Cincinnati, OH
Hi Jim

It sounds like the SP3 is working but the sound is not getting to the speakers.

If you have a set of stereo headphones see if they work when plugged into the SP3. Also maybe try a straight ANALOG stereo signal through the Bypass.

What dealer did you purchase it from and maybe they could come over and help.

james
Old 07-12-2014, 02:08 PM

Mr. "Buseto": I do not always understand the theory but I do understand logic. It is my understanding that Oppo 85, 95, and 105 players have built-in DAC's that allow you to have the Oppo player decode the digital signal into analog and pass that onto the SP3 through the seven (7) RCA cables that run from the Oppo player to the SP3 inputs. Or allow the Oppo player to pass the digital signal directly to the SP3 processor by way of HDMI1 and allow the SP3 processor to decode the signal into analog and then send it to the amplifiers. I thought a quick way to rule out the amps and cables would be to take the SP3 out of the system. This way if I had the Oppo decode the signal, the analog signal could go directly to the amplfiers. If I then experienced sound I could conclude that the Oppo works, the amplifiers work, and the field wiring is acceptable. That would then tell me there is a problem with the processor. Mind you that "problem" might something as simple as a setting. I didn't think of it but headphones would be an alternative method. If I had some headphones......
Old 07-12-2014, 07:43 PM

Mr. James,

The SP3 was purchased through Mr. Ivan Messer. I believe this time of year he is in Cape Cod. Even though the Reds are playing great baseball right now I don't think he would make the trip. Of course he is always welcome. Right now I'm waiting on Stan B's comments based upon my latest results. He has me doing some testing with the machine set in 2 CH BYPASS. So everything is in limbo until I hear from him. Ciao, JLC
Old 07-13-2014, 03:17 AM

Be sure you have the volume set up correctly on the Oppo before you start! The analog volume can be "fixed" at maximum, or it can be controlled via the remote. I'd also set the default volume at 0 every time you start it up. That way, you don't have to worry about sending a signal into your amps and having it come out at full volume.

How do you currently have the Oppo connected to the SP3?

Do you have any other source you can try (television, console game, etc)?

I'd connect the Oppo via 2-ch analog first, no HDMI, and use a regular music CD. See if you get anything that way. Be sure the "digital" button on the SP3 is off.

If that works, try connecting the Oppo via a coax to the SP3, and disconnect the analog. This time, be sure the "digital" button is in on.

Finally, if that works, try HDMI (without coax or analog). This time, be sure the "HDMI" button on the SP3 is on.

This ought to help you figure out where the problem is. If you can repeat this test using two different components and two different inputs on the SP3, and with two different sets of cables, you should be able to pinpoint where the problem is.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Mr. "Buseto": I do not always understand the theory but I do understand logic.
I do not always understand the theory nor logic.
So I think the settings of the SP3 are easy and complicated at the same time.

Anyway approaching the subject analog as Grit suggests (by two channel analog + regular cd) is another way to start. Main thing is starting as simple as possible and eliminating everything else.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:16 PM

How do you have it wired? What cables are connected?

I use HDMI2 on the Oppo to the HDMI7 input that corresponds to BAL1. I have the balanced cables connected between the Oppo and the SP3 through BAL1. I also have the 7.1 analog connected to the SP3 from the Oppo.

Pressing BAL1 and then HDMI sends digital from the Oppo to the Byston.
Pressing BAL1 and then 2 Channel Bypass sends balanced output from the Oppo to the Bryson.
Pressing 7.1 Bypass sends the analog outputs from the Oppo to the Bryston.

The analog outputs from the SP3 connect to my amps which connect to my speakers.

I have HDMI1 on the Oppo connected directly to my projector.
Home Theater: Sonos->MCD1100,Oppo 105D,Cary 306/200,MVP-871->SP3->C500T->MC501x3+MC402x2+MC252->PL300+F113x2+PL350+4xPL InWall+PL100,PL100 in games room,VPL-VW500ES, Shunyata Sigma HCx3, Shunyata Analogx2, Alpha HCx2, Alpha Digital, Wire World Silver Electra x8
Great Room: BDP-09FD,Sonos->MCD500->MX119->MC501x3+2xMA700s->PL200+PLC150+GRFX+F112,PRO-141FD
Kid's Room: Sonos,Oppo 95->MX119->HCA1200mkii+4xMA700s->GR20s+FB210+GRLCR+2xGRFX,PRO-101FD
Home Gym: Sonos->Oppo 105->MC252->GR10s+FB210,TC-P55ST60
Office at work: Cary 306/200, Michell Gyro SE w/TechnoArm+Meastro Wood->6900->GR10s+SB12-Plus
Cottage: iPod,Oppo 95->Marantz SR7009->PSB Silver+ GRLCR+Silver FXi, MA700+PSB Mini in sunroom
Old 07-14-2014, 09:34 AM

Default Sp3

Mr. Wagner,

Thanks for replying. I was hoping to find someone who owns both an Oppo player and an SP3 processor, plus be well-versed on both. We agree on one thing for sure - My HDMI1 out on the Oppo goes to my Runco projector controller. If I understand correctly, if you have balanced (XLR) cables from your Oppo to the SP3 then this would be stereo (two) analog channels only. You are having the Oppo decode your digital content into analog before you send it the SP3. I believe the Oppo also has stereo analog output in unbalanced form (RCA). I'm with you so far. The eight (8) RCA cables you have going from the Oppo to the SP3 (I have the same arrangement) is what they call "7.1 ch analog". I presume using the two (2) balanced or unbalanced cables in stereo will cause the signal to be downmixed into stereo. Not sure if this is correct or not. I, also, read that the Oppo only controls volume on analog and not digital. Because my set up is for a theater I am running an HDMI cable from Oppo HDMI2 out to SP3 HDMI1 in. With that arrangement, across the SP3 I have lit (LED) "HDMI" across the top and "HDMI1/DVD" and "Main" across the bottom row. This set up yielded no sound. I am trying to get up the courage to run two (2) cables from Oppo stereo analog out to my Bryston 14BSST amp. and on to the front left and front right speakers. That way I can eliminate the field wiring and amps. from the total system as potential problems. I only have two speakers hooked up because I am drywalling and I am trying to check a new Diamond tweeter in one of the speakers. I chose two speakers so there is a load on both amp. channels. What now?
Old 07-14-2014, 09:37 AM

Default SP3 > SST2 amplifier

Mr. Tanner,

If you are reading this forum, please answer this easy question: Are they building SST2 amplifiers with Blue LED "running lights" on the front panel? Thank you, Jim Copeland - Cincinnati, OH
Old 07-14-2014, 01:40 PM

The HDMI inputs correspond to the buttons across the front of the SP3. If you are connected to HDMI1 you need to press DVD (the first button) and then HDMI. A blue LED shows you have it selected. The volume by default starts very low. You need to turn it up each time you power it up. I prefer the HDMI processing in the SP3 to the Oppo 105D, but the Oppo does a good job.

I use the balanced output for two channel from the Oppo, I think the is configurable in the Oppo. You need to select BAL-1 and then Stereo to hear the balanced connection.
Home Theater: Sonos->MCD1100,Oppo 105D,Cary 306/200,MVP-871->SP3->C500T->MC501x3+MC402x2+MC252->PL300+F113x2+PL350+4xPL InWall+PL100,PL100 in games room,VPL-VW500ES, Shunyata Sigma HCx3, Shunyata Analogx2, Alpha HCx2, Alpha Digital, Wire World Silver Electra x8
Great Room: BDP-09FD,Sonos->MCD500->MX119->MC501x3+2xMA700s->PL200+PLC150+GRFX+F112,PRO-141FD
Kid's Room: Sonos,Oppo 95->MX119->HCA1200mkii+4xMA700s->GR20s+FB210+GRLCR+2xGRFX,PRO-101FD
Home Gym: Sonos->Oppo 105->MC252->GR10s+FB210,TC-P55ST60
Office at work: Cary 306/200, Michell Gyro SE w/TechnoArm+Meastro Wood->6900->GR10s+SB12-Plus
Cottage: iPod,Oppo 95->Marantz SR7009->PSB Silver+ GRLCR+Silver FXi, MA700+PSB Mini in sunroom

Last edited by Chad.Wagner; 07-14-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Mr. Tanner,

If you are reading this forum, please answer this easy question: Are they building SST2 amplifiers with Blue LED "running lights" on the front panel? Thank you, Jim Copeland - Cincinnati, OH
Hi Jim

Yes as an option.

james