AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 09-05-2011, 01:58 PM

There is just something special about well implemented Field Coils. It's probably not a coincidence that the two best speakers I've ever heard (Shindo Latour and Lotus Granada) both incorporate Field Coils. Listening to my first Field Coil speaker was similar to listening to my first SET amp. There was this sense of immediacy that was spooky. It continues to amaze me that much of what we consider high end audio was originally developed 80+ years ago.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion
Old 09-05-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchperfect View Post
Yes, the Petite Latour and Petite 604 are each available in Alnico and Field Coil - each one is a different size, due to the size of the 15" woofer used in the 604 version. Petite Latour uses 12" woofer.

The Petite Alnico Latours starts at $29.9k pr., at this time. Rough dimensions, offhand, are approximately 17+"w x 40+"h x 17+"d

-M
Thanks. I will keep this in mind
Old 09-05-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, the Petite Latour and Petite 604 are each available in Alnico and Field Coil - each one is a different size, due to the size of the 15" woofer used in the 604 version. Petite Latour uses 12" woofer.

The Petite Alnico Latours starts at $29.9k pr., at this time. Rough dimensions, offhand, are approximately 17+"w x 40+"h x 17+"d

-M
A couple of questions. Everybody on this forum talks about Shindo system sounds better with an all Shindo system. But no one has purchased Shindo speakers. Is it because their to expensive or are Tannoy,Devore, etc better speakers? Or is the magic with the amp and premamp?

What's the sound difference between the Latour and 604? I'm guessing the 604 is their entry level. Thanks.
Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects
Old 09-05-2011, 05:13 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas View Post
A couple of questions. Everybody on this forum talks about Shindo system sounds better with an all Shindo system. But no one has purchased Shindo speakers. Is it because their to expensive or are Tannoy,Devore, etc better speakers? Or is the magic with the amp and premamp?

What's the sound difference between the Latour and 604? I'm guessing the 604 is their entry level. Thanks.
A full Shindo system will allow you to hear what the designer truly intended - like most complete systems. That being said, a Shindo preamp installed within the context of a well designed setup will improve the performance of that system.

I have personally sold/installed dozens of Shindo speakers - A less pricey alternative would be other brands, of course. Not everyone can spend $29.9k, or more , on a pair of speakers, hence the appeal of $7,500 DeVore Nines or Orangutans O/96's, etc.

Shindo doesn't make an 'entry level' speaker, per se, it depends on your associated equipment, listening style, preference, room dimensions, etc.

-Matt

Last edited by pitch perfect; 09-05-2011 at 05:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-05-2011, 06:08 PM

Matt,
May I ask you :
What is the price of the top of the line Shindo system : TT, preamp, amp, speakers and cables ?
how many of those did you sell in the US ?
Cheers,
Old 09-05-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
A full Shindo system will allow you to hear what the designer truly intended - like most complete systems. That being said, a Shindo preamp installed within the context of a well designed setup will improve the performance of that system.

I have personally sold/installed dozens of Shindo speakers - A less pricey alternative would be other brands, of course. Not everyone can spend $29.9k, or more , on a pair of speakers, hence the appeal of $7,500 DeVore Nines or Orangutans O/96's, etc.

Shindo doesn't make an 'entry level' speaker, per se, it depends on your associated equipment, listening style, preference, room dimensions, etc.

-Matt
I understand not everyone can spend $29K on speakers but on this forum there are some heavy hitters that change systems like the seasons. So it must also come down to looks and personal preference of what another speaker brand can do better. I like to hear from current Shindo owners what made them chose a different speaker brand (whether, price,sound, looks, good deal or all of the above)
Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects
Old 09-05-2011, 08:49 PM
From the BAT cave ...

I have a feeling that the latour cabinet appearance is off-putting to some.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas View Post
I understand not everyone can spend $29K on speakers but on this forum there are some heavy hitters that change systems like the seasons. So it must also come down to looks and personal preference of what another speaker brand can do better. I like to hear from current Shindo owners what made them chose a different speaker brand (whether, price,sound, looks, good deal or all of the above)
I spent several hours at Matt's place and heard a variety of equipment. I got to hear both the Devore Nine's as well as the Shindo Latours. I can tell you, if I could afford it, I would purchase the Shindo Latours. That being said, I went with the Devore O/96 speakers and am very happy with the purchase.

Barr
Old 09-05-2011, 09:03 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
I have a feeling that the latour cabinet appearance is off-putting to some.
..for those who have actually physically seen them in person and, more importantly, have listened to them - every other speaker ends up being a stop gap.

-M

Last edited by pitch perfect; 09-05-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-05-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
..for those who have actually physically seen them in person and, more importantly, have listened to them - every other speaker ends up being a stop gap.

-M
As one who has seen and heard them in person, I would have to agree with this assessment, they truly are "bad boys"...

Barr