AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 08-05-2011, 11:57 AM

I think Stax headphones are some of the most accurate, least fatiguing models on the market. The need for a step up energizer reduces flexibility but is worth it in my opinion. I own a pair of Sigma Pros from 1992 and they still work great...only have had to replace ear pads and headstrap once. I also have both the Omega mk1 and mk2. I use the mk1s in my study with the 3 input tube energizer(007II) and the mk2s at my cabin with the 007 ss energizer.

I like both versions of the Omega although if pressed...I would probably choose the mk1...I find the mk2s a shade darker and missing just a little air compared to the original...but likely more the tubed energizer than the headphones. Waiting to try the new 009s...but they would need to be a big step in SQ to warrant the $$$...compared to spending it on more LPs.

As an aside...my 11year old wants the Beats by Dre studios for his birthday...went with him to demo the whole line...my ears needed a week to recover...awful

Listening to McCoy Tyner , Nights of Ballads and Blues (LP) through the Mk1 as I type.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricmiclaw
See my post above. Stax had similar problems with the original SR-007. They pulled it, redesigned it and reissued the redesigned model as the SR-007MK2. The SR-009 problems, I have been informed, affect about 12% of the units distributed as of the end of May. At that time, Stax informed it's distributors that it was withdrawing the SR-009 for a redesign and expected the redesigned SR-009 (or whatever it will be called) to resume shipping within about 60 days. I agree that this could hurt their reputation but we'll see how they continue to handle it.
Not sure if your statement about the Omega mk1 is accurate...the mk1 was produced for several years and was eventually updated to Mk2. It was not released and than pulled in a few short months like the 009. What info are you using?
Old 08-20-2011, 12:40 AM

I recall reading the information you question on Head-Fi and here: http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=SR-Ω, maybe elsewhere, too. It's been a while so I don't recall the rest but there were several sources.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:24 AM

Cool link.

Now I think I understand the confusion. There was an Omega model produced in limited quanities for one year. This model is different than the 007 model I was speaking of. The 007 model does have a mkI and mkII version and I own both. But the mkI version was produced for almost a decade. Mystery solved.

I will try to demo the 009 to see if the change is worth it
Old 08-21-2011, 01:33 AM

I understand the 009 is much more efficient and, therefor, easier to drive versus either version of the 007. I expect to receive mine in the next couple of weeks and can comment back here if I remember.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:50 AM

Look forward to the info
Old 12-29-2011, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enatai252 View Post
I think Stax headphones are some of the most accurate, least fatiguing models on the market. The need for a step up energizer reduces flexibility but is worth it in my opinion. I own a pair of Sigma Pros from 1992 and they still work great...only have had to replace ear pads and headstrap once. I also have both the Omega mk1 and mk2. I use the mk1s in my study with the 3 input tube energizer(007II) and the mk2s at my cabin with the 007 ss energizer.

I like both versions of the Omega although if pressed...I would probably choose the mk1...I find the mk2s a shade darker and missing just a little air compared to the original...but likely more the tubed energizer than the headphones. Waiting to try the new 009s...but they would need to be a big step in SQ to warrant the $$$...compared to spending it on more LPs.

As an aside...my 11year old wants the Beats by Dre studios for his birthday...went with him to demo the whole line...my ears needed a week to recover...awful

Listening to McCoy Tyner , Nights of Ballads and Blues (LP) through the Mk1 as I type.
The Beats are made by Stax. So is the Bieber line... Just got my 1st Stax setup.

STAX SR-007 OMEGA II MK2 & SRM-007T II AMP COMBO 120v US

Great choice of music. McCoy Tyner is one of the best ever on the piano.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:10 AM

I think they are made by Monster...and likely using contract manufacturing in China

Congrats on Stax pair...nice
Old 01-03-2012, 08:17 PM

It arrived today. Just did a quick try and I think I will be very happy with this setup. Sounds like no other phones I've heard. Very delicate and the music pours out very sweet. Critical listening later this evening with some albums I mastered.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:52 PM

Arrow Anyone use Stax Headphones?

Yes I do ! I have two sets.

- First set : Stax SRX Mk III used in combination with a SRM-313 Solid State Driver Unit. The SRX Mk III is pretty old, I bought it in 1976 or 1977 in combination with a SRD-6 adapter. It is in a perfect condition (I just had to change the earpads a few years ago) and is used almost daily.

- Second set : Stax SR-404 Signature Earspeakers hooked to a SRM-006t Vacuum Tube Output Driver Unit.

I like both and am not prepared to say which one I prefer ! They prove invaluable for listening at night time !

Guy