AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 03-20-2011, 11:54 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Arrow Anyone use Stax Headphones?

I have, and don't use, two pairs of Stax electrostatic headphones. Haven't used them in quite a while but both sound (to me) excellent.

Just wondering, how do these headphones compare to what you guys are talking about in this forum?

One is model SR404

The other is just marked "Professional"

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 04-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Scottsmrnyc

Yes, I have numberous Stax Headphones and Stax Headphone Amps. Check out my signature list. I love all of them. They are great. I like your pool house. It is bigger than my entire NY, NY Apartment by far.
McIntosh-MC1.2KWs(4), MC501(1), MX135(2),MT10(2), MVP881BR(1),MEN220(2), Stax SRM007t(1), Stax SRM007ta(1),Stax SRA12S (2), Stax SRDXPro(3), Stax 4070(3), Stax Sigma Pros(2), Stax Sigma Non Pros (4), Headroom Balanced Max Loaded (1), Wadia Ipod Docking Station (3), Cerwin Vega D9s(4), Cerwin Vega CMX 212s (4), Adona Corporation Signature Component Stands (2), Adona Reference Amplifier Stands (4). Sony 70 Inch BR 1080p, AntiCable Speaker Cables (8), PS Audio PPP (2), PS Audio Power Cords(11), Teac 3340s(2), PS Audio Power Plant Premiers(2),Audio Research PH1(1), Sennheiser HD650(1), Sennheiser HD600 (1) Sennheiser HD580(1) Koss Pro4AA(1), Koss Quadraphones(4), Koss Phase2 (1) Koss 5Q(2), Headroom Micro Headphone Portable Amp(2)HP Pavilion Dv7, Ipad2, Tascam ATR 60, Tascam ATR 80.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:38 PM

Julian, Jean Marc ( Jean-Marc jmajma ) bought one (with its own Stax tube headphone amp) a few months ago and he's delighted with it. I have to go to his home to listen to it. He will probably chime in....
Old 05-11-2011, 03:17 AM

I just put the Stax SR-507 and SMR-600 combo.Should be here in a week..
Old 06-17-2011, 12:18 AM

I have enough high-end orthos and planars to feel that I have probably experienced close to the best that these technologies have to offer. So I have on order an SR-009 and will gladly report back what I think of it after I have a chance to spend some quality time with it. I have been informed that Stax stopped distribution of the model due to a problem with the stators and won't be resumed until the problem is designed out of the model. Stax had similar quality issues with the SR-007, corrected the problems and reissued it as the SR-007MK2. So, it's going to be another couple of months, I think. Regrettable, but at least I should receive the redesigned model without the stator problem.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:30 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

I missed the responses to my original message - sorry - they came over a month after my post.. . .Glad to learn of other Stax users. I pulled mine out several weeks ago and I think I remember why I bought them .. They are GOOD!

. . . . . . . .

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 06-20-2011, 04:55 AM
Scottsmrnyc

Stax just came out with a new top of the line SRA 009 which seems to be having a lot of problems. Many purchases have had to return them as a result of volume fluxuation in one of the sides. This is not good for Stax as it has the potential to ruin the companies reputation. I have the SRA 007s which I find to have great sound; but there is a rubbing of the inner parts on my left ear when they are place on top of my head. Please don't say that I am not placing them properly. In terms of pure comfort I like the Sigma pros and non Sigmas as well as the 4070s. Here is a photo of my collection of Stax.
McIntosh-MC1.2KWs(4), MC501(1), MX135(2),MT10(2), MVP881BR(1),MEN220(2), Stax SRM007t(1), Stax SRM007ta(1),Stax SRA12S (2), Stax SRDXPro(3), Stax 4070(3), Stax Sigma Pros(2), Stax Sigma Non Pros (4), Headroom Balanced Max Loaded (1), Wadia Ipod Docking Station (3), Cerwin Vega D9s(4), Cerwin Vega CMX 212s (4), Adona Corporation Signature Component Stands (2), Adona Reference Amplifier Stands (4). Sony 70 Inch BR 1080p, AntiCable Speaker Cables (8), PS Audio PPP (2), PS Audio Power Cords(11), Teac 3340s(2), PS Audio Power Plant Premiers(2),Audio Research PH1(1), Sennheiser HD650(1), Sennheiser HD600 (1) Sennheiser HD580(1) Koss Pro4AA(1), Koss Quadraphones(4), Koss Phase2 (1) Koss 5Q(2), Headroom Micro Headphone Portable Amp(2)HP Pavilion Dv7, Ipad2, Tascam ATR 60, Tascam ATR 80.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:12 PM

I still have the original Omegas, and I think they are the best. Too bad to hear the new ones are problematic. I also have Sennheiser HE 60's and HE 90's that sound wonderful.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:38 PM

See my post above. Stax had similar problems with the original SR-007. They pulled it, redesigned it and reissued the redesigned model as the SR-007MK2. The SR-009 problems, I have been informed, affect about 12% of the units distributed as of the end of May. At that time, Stax informed it's distributors that it was withdrawing the SR-009 for a redesign and expected the redesigned SR-009 (or whatever it will be called) to resume shipping within about 60 days. I agree that this could hurt their reputation but we'll see how they continue to handle it.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Scottsmrnyc

Sorry photo not working right now.