AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 12-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
Dan... I like the look of this combination. Do you think an XLR out from the C1000T as a switchable source at ref to this or a Woo WES will work OK?

I'm considering setting up a can station next to my current listening position. Even though i've never been big on cans, particulary conventional ones, i'm hoping that electrostatics are going to do it for me. The Lady wants a bump & thinks it would be a good idea for down the track.
Steve.......This headphone set up would be the cream of the crop. There would be no issues feeding it with an XLR output from your C1000, although the switchable XLR outputs are variable outputs just like the Main output. I would use the XLR output marked CDR for the feed to the the Blue Hawaii SE as this output is a fixed line level output.

The Blue Hawaii SE and the new Stax electrostatic headphones will give you an ultra premium headphone listening experience. Now go give the Lady that bump. .

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 12-08-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post

Steve.......This headphone set up would be the cream of the crop. There would be no issues feeding it with an XLR output from your C1000, although the switchable XLR outputs are variable outputs just like the Main output. I would use the XLR output marked CDR for the feed to the the Blue Hawaii SE as this output is a fixed line level output.

The Blue Hawaii SE and the new Stax electrostatic headphones will give you an ultra premium headphone listening experience. Now go give the Lady that bump. .
Dan... Awesome, forgot the C1000 had a fixed line output.

Yes, best call it a night & begin focussing more on doing my deeds.

Last edited by MyPal; 12-08-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Mac + Ayre + Vivid + Stax

Just ordered the STAX SR009 + BHSE (silver). In March - April I can let you know how it sounds.

Should look like this:
ACDC - Back in Black. Adele - 19. Bryan Adams - Bare Bones. Diana Krall - Live in Paris; When I Look in Your Eyes. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms. Don Williams - Borrowed Tales. FleetwoodMac - Tango in the Night. Frank Sinatra - At the Sands. Genesis - A Trick of the Tail. Gipsy Kings - Love Songs. Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark. Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert. Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear. Marta Gómez - Entre Cada Palabra. Metallica - Metallica. Michael Jackson - Thriller. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed. Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder; Wish You Were Here. Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Live in Japan. U2 - Rattle and Hum.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Perdro........Wow! Color me jealous. That is the top of the line in my book. I'll be watching for your review. It is beautiful in Silver.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-30-2012, 12:05 AM

Default C1000T/P and Woo Amps Question

Follow-up to the response Dan gave (December 8) regarding using the CDR (5) Outputs to drive a headphone amp. I have the C1000T/P modules and now own the Woo WA5-LE (dynamic) and WES (electrostatic) headphone amps. Both are currently fed from my MCD1100 (Variable Output) as it's my primary source component, but I want to also connect both Woo amps to either of the preamp modules. The WA5-LE has unbalanced inputs only while the WES has Balanced and Unbalanced inputs - I installed the two Phase Splitter tubes in the WES to enable the Unbalanced inputs.

I plan to use the CDR(5) Balanced Outputs to feed the WES. I notice there are two pairs of Unbalanced Outputs (SPKR1 & SPKR2).

Dan: can I use either SPKR1 or SPKR2 to feed either Woo amp using RCA cables. Or, is there some other way to feed the Woo amps using RCA cables, such as the Processor Listen connections or ... ? As a bit of a techno-boob, I admit the C1000 can be intimidating to deal with as the McIntosh C1000 Owner's Manual leaves many things to be desired.

Ken
Old 12-30-2012, 03:13 AM
Music Lover!

That set-up is beautiful.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Mac + Ayre + Vivid + Stax

Just received the Stax SR009!

Now the wait for the Blue Hawaii SE gets harder... the expected delivery date is end of March...
ACDC - Back in Black. Adele - 19. Bryan Adams - Bare Bones. Diana Krall - Live in Paris; When I Look in Your Eyes. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms. Don Williams - Borrowed Tales. FleetwoodMac - Tango in the Night. Frank Sinatra - At the Sands. Genesis - A Trick of the Tail. Gipsy Kings - Love Songs. Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark. Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert. Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear. Marta Gómez - Entre Cada Palabra. Metallica - Metallica. Michael Jackson - Thriller. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed. Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder; Wish You Were Here. Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Live in Japan. U2 - Rattle and Hum.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7215 View Post
Follow-up to the response Dan gave (December 8) regarding using the CDR (5) Outputs to drive a headphone amp. I have the C1000T/P modules and now own the Woo WA5-LE (dynamic) and WES (electrostatic) headphone amps. Both are currently fed from my MCD1100 (Variable Output) as it's my primary source component, but I want to also connect both Woo amps to either of the preamp modules. The WA5-LE has unbalanced inputs only while the WES has Balanced and Unbalanced inputs - I installed the two Phase Splitter tubes in the WES to enable the Unbalanced inputs.

I plan to use the CDR(5) Balanced Outputs to feed the WES. I notice there are two pairs of Unbalanced Outputs (SPKR1 & SPKR2).

Dan: can I use either SPKR1 or SPKR2 to feed either Woo amp using RCA cables. Or, is there some other way to feed the Woo amps using RCA cables, such as the Processor Listen connections or ... ? As a bit of a techno-boob, I admit the C1000 can be intimidating to deal with as the McIntosh C1000 Owner's Manual leaves many things to be desired.
Ken.......I missed your post until today. You can use the C1000 speaker 1 and Speaker 2 outputs but be advised both of these outputs are variable and controlled by the volume control. You can use the Processor Loop output to get a fixed line level output if you prefer.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugal View Post
Just received the Stax SR009!

Now the wait for the Blue Hawaii SE gets harder... the expected delivery date is end of March...
Pedro.......What a tease to have the Stax headphones and no Blue Hawaii SE. Hang in there. I'm certain the wait will be worth it. I am really looking forward to your impressions and photos.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:49 PM

What a nice setup. The Blue Hawaii is certainly good looking amp. Having to wait
until Marchi is not fun. Congrats.
Main: Mc C2200 (Telefunkens) and MC207, Spectral DMA-180, Marantz AV8805A, JL Audio CR-1 and SAv2, Sony ST-SA5ES, TC-KA3ES and MDS-JA50ES, Oppo UDP-205 and BDP-103D, Bryson BDA-3, Magnum Dynalab FM Signal Sleuth, Remedy, PS Audio P12, Pioneer DT-555,
Samsung 65" QLED TV 8K, JBL 4311B, M&K MX125II on Ultra SS Stillpoints, B&W HTM2D2, CCM7.3 S2, CCM683
Office: Sony TA-F700ES (Mod), MDS-JA50ES (Mod) and SEQ-333ES, Accuphase T-107B, Bryston BDA-3, BHA-1 and BUC-1, Audeze LCD-4, Linn Tukan, REL T7 on Ultra SS Stillpoints, PC Server (16 TB)

Mobile:Audison bit One Virtuoso HD, bit Play HD, Amps and speakers.