AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 08-08-2018, 01:42 PM
Industry Affiliation - Ayre CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Ryan - amazing attention to detail! Impressive.

This might be old news for you, but have you looked into printing the XLR bodies?
I work in a small tech company and we have amazing parts printed regularly for not much money. Materials choices keep growing as well.
Of course you would need the full 3D solid models.
We haven't thought about it, but that's a great idea. I design all the chassis work in SolidWorks as it is, so I have a model of every component we use in our units. I'll have to look into it!
Old 08-08-2018, 08:38 PM

Going balanced was a big improvement for me.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:06 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

GrubTheHedgehog... Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 08-08-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
GrubTheHedgehog... Welcome to AA!
Thank you kind sir. I have been lurking too long. I am looking forward to getting to know you all better.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Berry View Post
We haven't thought about it, but that's a great idea. I design all the chassis work in SolidWorks as it is, so I have a model of every component we use in our units. I'll have to look into it!
My son (Autistic) is a jr at Penn College of Tech. He's in a manufacturing major, but will specialize in 3D printing. He is always on the one I got him making models. The materials they can spool now is just amazing. Even some PLC and ABS with carbon imbedded. There are other forms of 3D printing now that use metals and don't use spools at all, but that's not something you will do in house yet, lol.

The biggest thing is that in order to do it properly you need a very high Rez printer and they still aren't 'inexpensive". JMHO
Old 08-18-2018, 01:50 AM

Default Single Ended to Balanced Cables

I recently tried a balanced cable myself after using AX-5 and QX-5 with single ended for a few years. The reason iI stayed single ended is that going balanced would mean significant investment in upgrading my already very good single ended cable.

Immediately there was a about a 4.5 db or three AX-5 volume increment difference between the two cables, with the balanced being louder. However it was not just louder. I could not achieve the same result as the balanced bringing the single ended cable up to match. The balanced just sounded fuller. The bass was more palpable but the tonal balance did not change or darken. Instruments in the midrange, like guitars that were previously more buried in the mix became more easily discernible. There was more slam. There was more of everything. I got more stage depth, not so much widening. On live recordings, I felt like I was hearing the same performance but I got better seats! Music was just more in my room.

Female vocals became more focused and intense. Without loosing any detail (actually enhancing slightly) while loosing a little fatiguing edge

The single ended cable sounded a bit anemic in comparison, but still good. Balanced was a solid step in the right direction to be sure. It wasn’t earth shattering, but it was undeniably better in all respects.

It was one of those upgrades that makes you want to run through your whole catalog of music again to pick out the new details.

Last edited by GrubTheHedgehog; 08-19-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:28 PM
Industry Affiliation - Ayre CEO

That the best part of listening for me. It's really rare to find something that makes something sound "twice as good", but those incremental bumps add up to something rather spectacular. Getting to discover your music all over again makes listening fun.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:23 AM

Use the same brand and model of interconnect (balanced and unbalanced) for a fair comparison. Generally balanced operation tends to be a bit quieter and have greater gain (inherent in the electronics design) which often translates to slightly better bass control and dynamics. I've also experienced a bit of improvement in midrange "body" using balanced connections vs. unbalanced with the same gear. This tends to make the highs a bit less strident too. These effects are subtle (usually) but can eek the last little bit of smoothness out of a system (sometimes).
Old 08-21-2018, 08:55 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

I'm not sure these comparisons are entirely without bias. So you know, I own highly respected conrad-johnson equipment, all unbalanced. Not sure how you do these comparisons in an unbiased way. Comparing the outputs of well designed balanced equipment with it's own unbalanced outputs should show a better result from the primary balanced outputs. Seems to me that well designed single ended equipment works best with RCA cables, balanced equipment with balanced cables.
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 08-22-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
I'm not sure these comparisons are entirely without bias. So you know, I own highly respected conrad-johnson equipment, all unbalanced. Not sure how you do these comparisons in an unbiased way. Comparing the outputs of well designed balanced equipment with it's own unbalanced outputs should show a better result from the primary balanced outputs. Seems to me that well designed single ended equipment works best with RCA cables, balanced equipment with balanced cables.

Not bias, per se. The question was what works best with Ayre Gear. You can’t draw any conclusions about other gear.