AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 08-20-2018, 05:28 PM

How many hours do you have on the Tung Sol KT150s so far?

When I first got my Hot Rod Inspire KT150s the sound was a tad bright, less musical, but smoothed out some more past few weeks.

Figured out was not my preamp either. I run mid 1950s Sylvania 6SN7 Black Plates in my Cary SLP98 preamp and it’s glorious sounding with my V12R amp which runs all 50s Sylvania front end tubes as well.

So, I gave the Inspire 150 more play time and more break in on the tubes and caps) as many here advised) and I’m pleased with it now. I kinda like the odd alien shape of the tubes too. Hahah. For new generation tubes, could not be happier. No desire to change tubes on the Inspire KT150 setup.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:49 PM

I do need more hours on the KT150s to be fair. Only have about 25 hours on them. In the past I have not noticed any change past that on any tube, but it is possible.

So far, except for their looks, I am liking the KT150s. Right there with the KT88s on top of my list.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:05 AM

Default research on burn-in and shape...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
I do need more hours on the KT150s to be fair. Only have about 25 hours on them. In the past I have not noticed any change past that on any tube, but it is possible. So far, except for their looks, I am liking the KT150s. Right there with the KT88s on top of my list.

re: KT150, found this for reference:

BURN-IN:
  • 72 hours pre-sale burn in time from some of the more reputable US tube dealers. Some won't sell them unless they have at least 72hrs of test & burn on them.

EGG SHAPE:
  • Quote:"The Tung-Sol KT150 glass envelope is a special egg shaped balloon that was developed to improve thermal dissipation and maintain a superior vacuum for the best sound. The fact that the glass envelope has no flat sides means the Tung-Sol KT150 has no problems with microphonics."

Old 08-21-2018, 12:25 PM

Mine were supposedly burned in for 24 hours and then matched. How does one know?
Old 08-21-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
Mine were supposedly burned in for 24 hours and then matched. How does one know?
Compare after time.

As others advised me, my Inspire amp sounds quite a bit different now after a few weeks of listening compared to when I first got it with new tubes. How much is tubes vs. other parts melting in, I'll never know until I try other tubes. Happy with the KT150s now after some good run-in time. That's all I know.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Compare after time.

As others advised me, my Inspire amp sounds quite a bit different now after a few weeks of listening compared to when I first got it with new tubes. How much is tubes vs. other parts melting in, I'll never know until I try other tubes. Happy with the KT150s now after some good run-in time. That's all I know.
I believe caps and trannies need to find their own comfort zone, sort of speak, and with time these elements are more impacting into sound settling than the actual tubes' break-in.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
I believe caps and trannies need to find their own comfort zone, sort of speak, and with time these elements are more impacting into sound settling than the actual tubes' break-in.

I might even take that point a tad further to say both of my tube amps sound appreciably better when comparing the first hour, then leaving (not sitting there all day), and coming back to compare again later listening again at the eighth hour.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
I think this is a significant factor in my not hearing much of a difference as my KT150 tubes get some hours on them. The amp has almost 3 years on it and both my rectifier and 6SN7 driver tube have many hours on them. So the only things that are "changing" are the KT150s, and they have at least 50 hours on them now (including the pre-purchase 24 hour burn-in). My presently in use preamp is 20 years old and the 12AU7 tubes in it have well over 500 hours (maybe over 1000) on them.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
I might even take that point a tad further to say both of my tube amps sound appreciably better when comparing the first hour, then leaving (not sitting there all day), and coming back to compare again later listening again at the eighth hour.
What you refer to is a short-term, operational temperature-reaching status which tends to be reversible when the device cools down. I was referring to the long-term settling occurring as a consequence of reiterated heat expansions and contractions on all heat-vulnerable materials which eventually reach a non-elastic state (i.e., these reach a stage which is different from original conditions and will stay like that indefinitely from then on, or maybe will continue to change but much more gradually and modestly. Although this also happens with tubes, with trannies and caps the effect on sound is more tangible and deterministic.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 08-24-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:30 PM

It's Russian Day here. My Inspire is loaded with Russian KT150s, Russian Genalex GZ34 and Russian Tung-sol 6SN7gtb. I didn't like this 6SN7 last year when I conducted my 6SN7 shoot-out but thought I'd put a few more hours on it and give it a 2nd chance. So far it isn't cutting the mustard. There's a bit of shrillness and the overall sound is a bit constrained. Qualities which weren't present with other 6SN7s I've tried. It is still good but just not as good.

I know this tube is the standard in many modern amps, it is one of the few in current production. So a company can buy hundreds and closely match them. Almost impossible to do in quanity with vintage tubes. And they seem to be satisfied with them.

I'm going to leave it in for a few more hours and see if it loosens up. I doubt that I have 25 total hours on it, as I find it hard to leave it in the amp.