AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Revel Speakers

Revel Speakers The Science of Sound

Old 09-22-2017, 10:29 PM

I love my Salon2s. The best speaker purchase for me. Silky smooth midrange and tweeter. Deep bass. Good luck!
Old 09-24-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWB75 View Post
Regarding the Ultima2 Studio2s in my room, yes.

On decision day we auditioned Wilson Yvette and something else... Sabrina maybe? Also B&W 800D (the big ones), and McIntosh's own speakers. Since we've known for a long time that this day would come, we have also paid attention to a long list of speakers over the last few years, especially Sonus Faber and B&W.

Based on this experience, I could easily and confidently repeat everything in that sentence about the speakers I have heard and the Revel Ultima2s now in my living room.

The difference was stark, and the choice was a no-brainer. My wife was with me for the listening sessions, and she was equally firm on the choice.

It was kind of fun, really. We had listened to two sets of Wilsons and the B&Ws. She went for some sandwiches while I auditioned the McIntosh speakers, then the Revels. When she got back we ate our sandwiches and then went back into the listening room. I watched her face do exactly the same thing mine had done, and almost as quickly.

It's like this, for me: They are more like ancient mystical totems than transducers. With little to no movement visible from the listening position (I see well, thank you), the room is taken over by live music. Instead of moving air, these totemic pillars magically conjure the spirits of the performers, who then perform live just for me.
High praise indeed, as the Yvette is a very, very fine loudspeaker. I'm interested to know specifically how you contrast them against the Revels. I own Salon2's.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6737 View Post
I love my Salon2s. The best speaker purchase for me. Silky smooth midrange and tweeter. Deep bass. Good luck!
Interesting pairing the GS 150 with Salon2s. Did you have other amps on the Salons before the current ARC?
Old 09-24-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWB75 View Post
Regarding the Ultima2 Studio2s in my room, yes.

On decision day we auditioned Wilson Yvette and something else... Sabrina maybe? Also B&W 800D (the big ones), and McIntosh's own speakers. Since we've known for a long time that this day would come, we have also paid attention to a long list of speakers over the last few years, especially Sonus Faber and B&W.

Based on this experience, I could easily and confidently repeat everything in that sentence about the speakers I have heard and the Revel Ultima2s now in my living room.

The difference was stark, and the choice was a no-brainer. My wife was with me for the listening sessions, and she was equally firm on the choice.

It was kind of fun, really. We had listened to two sets of Wilsons and the B&Ws. She went for some sandwiches while I auditioned the McIntosh speakers, then the Revels. When she got back we ate our sandwiches and then went back into the listening room. I watched her face do exactly the same thing mine had done, and almost as quickly.

It's like this, for me: They are more like ancient mystical totems than transducers. With little to no movement visible from the listening position (I see well, thank you), the room is taken over by live music. Instead of moving air, these totemic pillars magically conjure the spirits of the performers, who then perform live just for me.
I wouldn't add another word.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:32 PM

Guess I just joined the club as well. I picked up a pair of Salon2s yesterday, and I'm hoping to get them up to the house next weekend. I'm not sure if the MC 2301s will have enough juice for them, but we'll see. I don't expect them to best my Strads, but it should be a fun experiment. I'll be sure to post more when I get them up and running!
Parasound JC-1s (3), A-21
Kharma dB11-s Mains, Cremona M (center) Grand Pianos (rears)
JL Audio Gotham G213 V1(1) F-112V1(1) F-112V2(1)
Clearaudio Innovation Wood, Benz Micro Gullwing SLR Dynavector XX2 MK2 Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Audio Research Ref 2se phono
Lumin X1
Lumin S1
Oppo-205
AudioQuest Hurricane HC, Tornado HC(2), and Thunder HC, Diamond RJ/E
PS Audio P-10(2) AC-3, AC-5, AC-10 PCs.
(6) dedicated 20 amp circuits, (6)Furutech outlets.
(1) GDX-DR-NCF, (2) GDX-D Gold, (3) GDX-D Rhodium
AZ Absolute Copper, and Clear Day Audio solid silver Bal ICs.
WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables.
Rob
Old 08-18-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robc33 View Post
Guess I just joined the club as well. I picked up a pair of Salon2s yesterday, and I'm hoping to get them up to the house next weekend. I'm not sure if the MC 2301s will have enough juice for them, but we'll see. I don't expect them to best my Strads, but it should be a fun experiment. I'll be sure to post more when I get them up and running!
Please let us know what you think!
Old 08-19-2018, 01:48 PM

It took me months to get the salon2's placement in my room to the point where I think i'm getting the best I can from them. My previous reference was the salon1 tho' so I have to guess what the ceiling of these speakers is. You as others on this forum have had access to more sota products can probably tell when they're dialed in much more quickly since you have more hi end experience to compare.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robc33 View Post
. I'm not sure if the MC 2301s will have enough juice for them, but we'll see.
You might be surprised about that. Congrats on your acquisition. These are superb speakers.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
You might be surprised about that. Congrats on your acquisition. These are superb speakers.
I hope that I am! I have a pair of JC-1s that I could try with them as well, but if the 2301s can't make them sing, it will most likely be a deal breaker for me. I loved the JC-1s until I heard the 2301s. There is no going back for me now!
Parasound JC-1s (3), A-21
Kharma dB11-s Mains, Cremona M (center) Grand Pianos (rears)
JL Audio Gotham G213 V1(1) F-112V1(1) F-112V2(1)
Clearaudio Innovation Wood, Benz Micro Gullwing SLR Dynavector XX2 MK2 Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Audio Research Ref 2se phono
Lumin X1
Lumin S1
Oppo-205
AudioQuest Hurricane HC, Tornado HC(2), and Thunder HC, Diamond RJ/E
PS Audio P-10(2) AC-3, AC-5, AC-10 PCs.
(6) dedicated 20 amp circuits, (6)Furutech outlets.
(1) GDX-DR-NCF, (2) GDX-D Gold, (3) GDX-D Rhodium
AZ Absolute Copper, and Clear Day Audio solid silver Bal ICs.
WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables.
Rob
Old 09-03-2018, 04:17 PM

I was using my laptop usb out to stream tidal with unreliable results so I bought the roon nucleus and I have to say dollar for dollar it was the most affordable improvement i've gotten, using a cheapo AQ forest cable! Crazy result is each album I stream really changes the way the speakers create the soundstage besides the obvious improvement in sound.