AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 02-17-2016, 08:10 PM

Default Accuphase DG-38. Any recomendation's?

Hello!

Finally I've bought DG-38 for relatively good price.

I know that some people will say it was mistake, but what done is done.

Now it is connected through HS-Link to DP-550 with regular LAN cables.
I've ordered Acoustic Revive LAN cables, but still did not received them.

First impression of the DG-38 is complicated. It is do the work in RC but at the price of sound stage.

I know there is many options to use RC - measuring two speakers, one by one speaker, playing with reference curve and so on.
Any recommendation's how to get the best? (Beside of to sell DG-38 and buy DG-58 )

Any thoughts about connection? How about to connect it between preamp and power?
Or HS-Link incomparable?

Thanks in advance to all! I'm very appreciate help of this forum users!
Old 02-18-2016, 04:24 AM

The DG-58 is less complicated and more user friendly than previous "DG", but I think that could be a bit of a double-edged-sword: users are somewhat satisfied without to much effort, and they are not pushed to experiment, try and bring out the most of what the machine can really do.
Anyway, that just to say that the difficulty in using the DG-38 can be a benefit to learn (I am an half-full glass type of person ).

Regarding connection, I always connected the DG-58 before preamp, thus avoiding another analog-->digital conversion also for sources that are already digital (all my sources). I personally would probably do the same with DG-38.

What does not convince you in the sound after your voicing?

Personally I would draw a target curve not too dissimilar from the "natural" response of your room/speakers, and gradually work out problems step by step modifiyng that curve.
A big, flat correction is likely to immediately sound lifeless, boring and strange, I think both because what we are used to, and also because sometimes the "room/speakers" combo just does not permit to have a perfectly flat response, and if you push for it, you could raise other problems.

P.S. Do the DG-38 and DG-48 also have the "Equalizer" section, or just the "Voicing"?

Last edited by Mattia; 02-18-2016 at 04:40 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:03 AM

Hi,Mattia!
Thank you for input! Basically DG-38-48-58 have the same functionality.The way how its work different. For example, equalizer on DG-38 dont have any hard buttons, so you only have ability to play with touch screen, what is uncomfortable, considering that DG-38 don't have zoom function. So "sliders" of equalizer is very small. But it is the same equalizer.
What does not convince me in the sound after voicing..
Sound is more digital, less details in the sound stage, less life...
But may be as you said it is result of flat correction

I'm agree with you that more complicated device is a more challenge.
And experimenting is way to move forward.
Yesterday I tried to put a mic into earphones. Great result!
I've got a way better balance!
Will continue to play with device
Old 02-18-2016, 05:19 AM

Ok, ergonomic problem aside, I would do a "not flat" voicing (is there that option in the DG-38? Basically you tell the DG to limit the degree of intervention, like in DG-58 "smooth"), so you have a only partially corrected sound but similar to the non corrected, natural sound of your room.
Then with manual EQ you manually workout the problematic frequency ranges, but at the same time keeping a "natural" and pleasing sound, and that is the difficult part and the one that really teaches you how music works (at least for me it was very interesting!)

With the 58, after many, many, many trial and error sessions, I found that this approach gives (in my room and with my speakers) the best sound with the 58: natural but corrected where it needs to be corrected.

P.S. With the 38 can you work the EQ curve on the fly by remote (so work in the listening position with music playing)? Because that is for me mandatory to really be able to properly set the EQ. If not, I would keep the 38 near the listening position. With the G-18 in my vintage system I did exactly that, with the aid of 7.5 meters XLR cables

Last edited by Mattia; 02-18-2016 at 05:27 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:42 AM

There is no smooth option. but there is 3 voicing levels-complete, middle, light.
And there is 4 types of standard reference curves. ( I think DG-58 the same)
There is the same option to measure room, speakers,room+speakers and so on.
I have to do "many, many, many trial and error sessions" )))))

How DG-58 connected in your system?
If you choose no voicing no equalization in DG-58 in configuration- do you feel presence of the device in the chain?
Old 02-18-2016, 05:58 AM

Ok, so the three levels are the same, try the light (or mid) and then manual EQ to further work were necessary, maybe also in your case that would do the trick
(You have set auto level for the output right?)

My 58 receives digital signals from Oppo 105 (coax) and DP-75 (optical), then goes to the 2420.

Regarding DG-58 presence in the system, I tried the following:

DP-80L connected to DC-81L and to DG-58, using 2 optical outs.
The 58 was then also connected in digital to the DC-81L, voicing and EQ turned off.
I've matched levels within +/- 0.1dB, since the 58 is hotter.

Switching between inputs on the DC-81L I was not able to tell any difference in sound, noise, etc.

So for me, at least regarding digital in - digital out, the 58 is absolutely transparent on the chain.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:37 PM

End of 2015 I was close to buy a DG-58 and had it at home for a trial for one week.

Mattia wrote:

Quote:
I always connected the DG-58 before preamp
I followed the Accuphase recommendation in the manual and put it between pre-amp and power amp.

Lesnik wrote:
Quote:
Now it is connected through HS-Link to DP-550 with regular LAN cables.
Somebody told me that regular LAN cables are not suitable as replacement for the HS-link cables. It is hear-say, I didn't try, but might be a reason.

Mattia wrote:
Quote:
With the 58, after many, many, many trial and error sessions,
This was my impression too. The DG-58 is great, I'm still keen to get it sooner or later. However, to use the full range of it's capabilities, I think you have to rebuild your set-up from the scratch, measuring and searching for the ideal speaker position in relation to the listening position.

When the basic set-up is optimized, you can start the trials to find different EQ curves...

All this needs time and patiences and blocks me from music listening. Instead of an DG-58 I've got an C-3850 and I don't regret this decision.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jororupp View Post

All this needs time and patiences and blocks me from music listening.
This is a main thing. Not listen to the sound instead of listen to the music.

You told that instead of DG-58 you bought C-3850. I don't think it is instead in terms of functionality, but if it was my choice I would have done the same.

Today I tried different compensation. I measured every speaker and took it as reference curve. And instead of full I take half compensation.

The result was the way better than previous. Now I understand better that it is a long long way on one hand and on other don't wanna live without DG
Old 02-18-2016, 03:18 PM

Lesnik, congratulation for the DG-38 unit and also for the DP-550 player!

Regarding DG-38, you should not have 2nd thoughts about it. It is a good unit, plus IMO the DG-38 offers the best value among the DG units.

A few points:

1) Connect the DP-550 to the DG-38 via the H-link. It makes no sense to connect it between the pre and power amp especially since you have an Accuphase player with HS-link. Further, my experience was that even ordinary ethernet cables (that costed €2) were significantly better than XLR cables costing €200-€300.

2) I have found the “Voicing B” procedure to be the most efficient of the three available options. Regrading the voicing level, I have always used (with very good results) the “complete” option. It is important to stress, however, that before running the room correction procedure it is very important to optimise as much as possible your room and the position of your speakers in the room.

When set-up properly the DG-38 should bring a significant improvement to the sound. I have found the manual of the DG-38 very unclear, and as such it took me a rather long time to do things right. Let me know if you have any problems, I still have a copy of the DG-38 manual and some notes so I should be able to help.

Last edited by nvp; 02-18-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:18 PM

Jororupp/Lesnik, for what is worth, in my room I have found that the C-2810 in combination with the DG-48 sounded better than the C-3800 without the DG-48. (Of course, the C-3800 with DG-48 sounded better than C-2810 with DG-48.)