AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 02-25-2017, 07:55 PM

Over 6 years now without a 2 channel room upgrade except for a new listening chair. Just spent the last few hours listening to vinyl and could not be happier.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:40 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Over 6 years now without a 2 channel room upgrade except for a new listening chair. Just spent the last few hours listening to vinyl and could not be happier.
David.......This is good to hear. You have a fine sound system. Sounds like you got your turntable adjustments back in order.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 02-25-2017, 10:17 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

My audio path took me down the Magnapan route which lead me down the Bi-amp path, which lead me down the powered sub woofer path. I abandoned the powered sub woofer path which lead to DIY Hardwood frames for my MGIIIa's, which lead me down the active crossover Tri-Amp path with a separate stereo sub system which is where I am at this point. My last upgrades were to install tube mono blocks to power the midrange panels and ribbon tweeters. My upgrades are now limited to phono cartridges and other source improvements which are not a priority. I have been buying mostly media at this point and enjoying the fruits of my labors.
Yes I am Satisfied,
Jim
Old 02-25-2017, 11:51 PM

I have a pair of MGIIIa's also I'm not using in my storage area. Very big sounding wide sound stage and truly wonderful with a JL sub or 2 dialed in. I have thought about upgrading my turntable but I'm not unhappy with the one I have. I Have thought about upgrading to Strads but I'm not unhappy with my Elipsa's . I know there is no end to better so I concentrate on enjoying what I have and discovering new music both digital and vinyl.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:01 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
David. Congratulations. As long as you keep listening and enjoying it I'd say you are closer to audio nirvana than lack of passion.

I am in the same boat. I haven't bought any new gear in years. My main system is now a motley crew of vintage + relatively (5-10 years) new.

Sources:

Thorens TD125ii turntable, SME 3009 tonearm, Clearaudio Maestro Cartridge
Sonos connected to MDA1000

Preamp: McIntosh C34V (with loop for The Delicious One of course)
Amp: McIntosh MC250

Speakers: Tannoy Sandringhams

It has the vintage sound, looks, and vibe I was after. It looks and sound delicious and, like a comfort food meal, leaves me completely and utterly satisfied with every listening session.

Do I miss the chase for new components? A bit. I still enjoy reading the audio magazines, and talking about audio but I'd be hard pressed to change anything in my system. Actually, quite the opposite. After so many years of trying new things and tweaking this and that, I've found that perfect balance and I don't want to mess with it.

It sounds like you, David, are in the same situation.

It's not a dying of passion, it's having found the perfect mate.

Alberto
Old 02-26-2017, 01:57 PM
Listener in Training

David,
So, it's been a few years; I recall your evolution from the Cremona, and the build-out of a wonderful room, all around the same time as Alberto's 252 Youtube video at the time of the founding of AA. You're in a very good place, but have you had the itch at all to listen to Strads in your room? Alberto's last sentence above does ring true in a lot of ways despite my question.

My experience is that I just got a lot closer myself a couple months ago with the addition of the C2500 and the Amati Futuras, not having really changed anything for a slightly longer interim. I was happy with the setup but knew there was still room to improve. I think there is still, but don't mind enjoying the setup we've got now for a while, a good while.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 02-26-2017, 02:11 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
David,
So, it's been a few years; I recall your evolution from the Cremona, and the build-out of a wonderful room, all around the same time as Alberto's 252 Youtube video at the time of the founding of AA. You're in a very good place, but have you had the itch at all to listen to Strads in your room? Alberto's last sentence above does ring true in a lot of ways despite my question.

My experience is that I just got a lot closer myself a couple months ago with the addition of the C2500 and the Amati Futuras, not having really changed anything for a slightly longer interim. I was happy with the setup but knew there was still room to improve. I think there is still, but don't mind enjoying the setup we've got now for a while, a good while.
One thing to keep in mind is perspective. We are a bit skewed in this esteemed forum–and in an audiophile world with $200K turntables, $15,000 cartridges, $10,000 cables, etc.

David's system is top notch and big $ all the way–including the room. In wine terms, this is not like being satisfied/settling with a $20 of Mondavi, let alone a "Two-buck Chuck", but saying: "I'm quite happy with this $200 bottle of Opus One as my daily go-to wine." :-)

Alberto
Old 02-26-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
David. Congratulations. As long as you keep listening and enjoying it I'd say you are closer to audio nirvana than lack of passion.

I am in the same boat. I haven't bought any new gear in years. My main system is now a motley crew of vintage + relatively (5-10 years) new.

Sources:

Thorens TD125ii turntable, SME 3009 tonearm, Clearaudio Maestro Cartridge
Sonos connected to MDA1000

Preamp: McIntosh C34V (with loop for The Delicious One of course)
Amp: McIntosh MC250

Speakers: Tannoy Sandringhams

It has the vintage sound, looks, and vibe I was after. It looks and sound delicious and, like a comfort food meal, leaves me completely and utterly satisfied with every listening session.

Do I miss the chase for new components? A bit. I still enjoy reading the audio magazines, and talking about audio but I'd be hard pressed to change anything in my system. Actually, quite the opposite. After so many years of trying new things and tweaking this and that, I've found that perfect balance and I don't want to mess with it.

It sounds like you, David, are in the same situation.

It's not a dying of passion, it's having found the perfect mate.

Alberto
Great hearing from you Alberto Glad that you are still listening as well When I listen to music especially vinyl I say to myself this really sounds wonderful . I will probably keep my MC501's many more years. You were instrumental with your video's of getting me to try Mcintosh in the first place; first with the MC252 and then upgrading to the MC501's. I have put my MCD500 up for sale as well as my Elipsa's here on AA and then ended up keeping them.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
David,

You have an excellent memory. The C2500 and Amati's is a great combination

Last edited by 1KW; 02-26-2017 at 06:03 PM.