AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 02-21-2018, 11:22 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
Dude. Don’t worry! Your 13 x 10 ft room will be fine. I think the Dynaudio C1 Platinum would be an excellent choice for your room. In fact, I owned original C1 speakers and used them in a 12 x 11 ft room with a pair(!) of REL B2 subs and I had no bass overload issues. I powered the Dyns with McIntosh too, first a pair of MC2102 tube amps and then MC501 solid state amps. Small rooms like yours and my old room will compress and become “painful” when the SPLs are pushed hard but I enjoyed that room for years and anything other than head banging volumes sounded wonderful. I also squeezed Wilson Sophia 3 speakers in there and they sounded outstanding. It’s all relative. This is the room you are already accustomed to with your 805S and you know the limitations you will have and what is already acceptable for you. The Contour 20 would also be an excellent choice staying in the Dynaudio family. Good luck in your search
You were right
Turntable: VPI Prime Signature Cart: Benz Micro LP-S DAC: Lampizator Golden Atlantic Preamp: Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps: Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv., Mac MC205 Speakers: Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S, Totems Headphone amp: Glenn 300B Headphones: LCD-4
Old 02-21-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
In small rooms speaker placement becomes much more important than it already is in large rooms. With the speakers only 1 foot from the front wall, you will want to consider how the speaker is tuned. For example the Wilson Duette is meant to be operated close to a room boundary. The Totem One is as well, but you've been there and done that. Because of this, I would audition speakers in your space as each one will behave very differently close to a boundary than out in the room. My only concern wrt the dynaudio would be its 85 dB efficiency, which is fairly low.

Tom
Positioning was very important. Even an inch here and there made a difference, but I think I've got it about as good as I can now in this room.

The Wilson Duette's were also very high on my list after speaking with a dealer I know. Also Joseph Audio Pulsar, Salk Exotica 3, B&W 805D3 (almost purchased these) and a late runner was Vivid 1.5 that appeared in a local ad this week.
Turntable: VPI Prime Signature Cart: Benz Micro LP-S DAC: Lampizator Golden Atlantic Preamp: Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps: Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv., Mac MC205 Speakers: Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S, Totems Headphone amp: Glenn 300B Headphones: LCD-4

Last edited by leftside; 02-21-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Dynaudio C1 Platinum

Congrats on acquiring a great speaker. I listened to these at my favorite dealer in Minneapolis this summer. They were very clean and very dynamic. I'm sure they'll sing with those MC 75's.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 02-24-2018, 04:29 PM

I have paid for and have a couple of MC75s I will take possession of----once the factory decides to make them. Meanwhile I have my C2500 fed into a Luxman 505Ux integrated...and drives a pair of Epos Elan 15s augmented by two SVS subwoofers. It sounds very good and I am hoping it sounds just as good or better with the monoblocks.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:13 PM
Retired

Audio Classics shows MC75s in stock. Give them a call.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 02-28-2018, 03:42 PM

A.C Not a local dealer. I did have a great experience buying my used C2500 from their ebay shop. I have HEARD there are several large McIntosh authorized dealers that will indeed sell and ship outside their territory, new McIntosh higher end models. I also hear the deal with this is the seller offers a less lengthy in house warranty and that there is NO factory warranty. I am unsure if it is like a few certain camera brands that also deny factory service at any price. At any rate I already signed a contract and paid. So I will wait. Yes some (many?) dealers are so into non stocking but selling they now make one sign a document and pay before they even place the order.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:39 PM

What's the consciences on MC75's through Monitor Audio Silver 500's? I think they have a 90db sensitivity rating or very near.

MC75's are next on my list, but will have to wait that much longer if it means I would be better served w/another set of speakers too... Just curious.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:07 PM
Retired

Tell us more about the Silver 500's.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 11-16-2018, 12:51 PM

I'm very new to this, so I will do my best. I purchased my first 2 channel "system" in April of this year. System is in "" because it only consists of:

Mac book streaming Tidal - USB cable - MAC6700 - Full range speaker cables + terminated speaker jumper cables - Monitor Audio Silver 500 - power cable - Hubbell wall receptacle

At first, the output of the "system" was very bass & midrange present, while the top end was slightly on the shrill side. Upgrading the wall receptacle, upgrading the USB cable & dumping the brass jumpers for terminated jumper cables gave a very very noticeable amount of brilliance to the high end & flattened the response!

Still the defining characteristic of the "system" is bass & midrange presence. I'm not sure if this is a function of the McIntosh, or the speakers, or both. My first system & I have no basis of comparison to draw from.

We live in a townhouse in the Lakeview neighborhood of Chicago (4 minute drive from my McIntosh dealer ), with thin walls. I normally keep the volume level between 28 - 37 & the watt meters read max of ~2.0 watts... So I don't listen ultra loud. At that level, the amp & speakers have 0 issue filling the entire house.

I should mention that I'm not in a position to purchase MC75's at current anyways... Just trying to learn what I can about a very very interesting amplifier. A friend of mine has a MC275, but he plays it through Klipschhorn's, in a much bigger room then mine, so impossible to compare in anyway to my speakers.

Thanks in advance for educating me!