AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 08-25-2018, 05:55 PM

Audioquest changed the color because they're coming out with a new power cord. It's my understanding that the jacket will be red and the price will fall in between the Hurricane and Dragon.

Last edited by Ricjor1; 08-25-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimurastanley View Post
Any update for the comparison?
I received them on Thursday, but due to work I just connected them today. My initial thoughts are the Hurricane has more body, bass, and sound much fuller. The CT-2s have more Air, but sound thin and a little bright right now. I'll post more comments on Monday.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
Audioquest changed the color because they're coming out with a new power cord. It's my understanding that the jacket will be red and the price will fall in between the Hurricane and Dragon.
Yeah, that's what I guessed they might be doing. Maybe $2.4 k per meter, high current design, with a touch of silver like the Redwood cables (maybe 25/75 proportionally)? I'd be really interested in picking up 1 or 2 for prime slots, but damn that will make things confusing here with the red and blue Hurricanes in the mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
I received them on Thursday, but due to work I just connected them today. My initial thoughts are the Hurricane has more body, bass, and sound much fuller. The CT-2s have more Air, but sound thin and a little bright right now. I'll post more comments on Monday.
I think that's becoming the consensus on their sonic signature. Rich and powerful sounding, but still with phenomenal clarity, and great detail and extension.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:22 PM

The other thing that really stands out is with vocals. I don't know how, but with the Hurricanes lead singers are pushed forward in the soundstage, with the CT-2s lead singers don't have the illusion of separation from the band. Cables are system dependent and the Hurricanes are simply great in my system.

I'll definitely purchase the new Audioquest power cord for my DAC when it's released.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:28 PM

Just added a Thunder power cord to my MA252, all I can say is wow.

Audio research LS28SE preamplifier, Aurender N10 Streamer, Topping D90 DAC, McIntosh MC462 amplifier. Focal Sopra 3 speakers. Salamander Archetype rack, Symposium Acoustics Segue shelves, Silver Eclipse 7 XLRs, Shunyata Everest power conditioner, Alpha V2, Delta V2 and Venom V2 10/12 power cords, and Audioquest Oak speaker cables. GIK Acoustic's bass soffits and 244 bass trap Art panels room treatments. Sony XBR75X900e 4K TV and Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray player
Old 11-05-2018, 01:22 AM

I changed the PC to me PreAmp. It was a WireWorld Silver Elektra 7 and now a Tornado (lent from my dealer). The Hurricane is ordered.
I never expected such a big difference.
That was the last drop that was needed to make the system sound the way it always should. Everything has become even lighter and more dynamic. And it's now really easy to hear the details.

B&W 802D3, Audioquest Niagara 5000 with AQ Tornado, Cambridge Audio Edge NQ (Pre) with AQ Hurricane soon. AQ WEL XLR to Amp. Amp is a german Nubert NuPower A with AQ Hurricane. AQ Oak to speakers (some day there'll be Red Woods). AQ Diamond USB from Computer. B&W DB2D Sub with AQ Thunder and Silent Wire. Wadia 830 with Fadel Art Reference One XLR and just AQ NRG-4 as i almost never use CD.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:01 AM

That's great, GBP. It seems Audioquest has done a great job with the new power cords. I'd like to try one at some point.

I had a full set of WireWorld cables in my system for a few years. I believe they make excellent interconnects, digital and speaker cables but their power cords are not to the level of their other cables. My system performed much better after replacing a WireWorld pc.

I'm not surprised that you heard significant improvement going to the Audioquest power cords. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Scott
Old 11-22-2018, 12:48 AM

I went to my dealer today and was told that Audioquest finally came out with a Hurricane Source power cord. I ordered one, but don't know when it will ship.

Last edited by Ricjor1; 11-23-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:32 AM

I have not done much upgrading in the last year, but recently bought some Hurricane cords. I am really surprised how good they sound right out of the box. I have several shunyata sigma HC and Alpha HC and NR. I am really liking what I am hearing from the Hurricane cords. I might have to try the Dragon.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:43 AM

The swap out of my KK Palladian PK-10 power cord, KK balanced 7m IC, and KK copper select speaker cable with a 3m HC Hurricane, 3m Redwood, and 7m balanced Wolf by AQ yielded a remarkable improvement in my sub-woofer bass. I was a profound skeptic regarding cables for many years steadfastly believing any high quality copper cable competitive and probably indistinguishable from the ridiculously priced high end cables. Especially cables for sub-woofers. Why would a well made copper cable, copper IC, and high quality pc of a well respected brand like Kimber sound inferior to the AQ cables. While true the Hurricane HC contains no silver its PSC+ and design render it clearly superior to my older KK PK-10.

I was simply naive and incorrect. Unfortunately cables make a huge difference and very easy to hear. I use the word cable here to include pc's, speaker, and IC's.

I add that I really like the Redwood speaker cable which is a "cheap" Wel Sig containing 6 silver/10 PSC+ strands. It is just beautiful to behold and a great value. The difference it has made for my Thor is more than worth its price.

Last edited by Charles; 12-25-2018 at 09:56 PM.