AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 12-08-2017, 01:52 AM

Interesting to see that just about the only amp Dennis has sold on eBay over the past 2-3 months has been a SET Triode running JJ 6550 tubes which produces 7 wpc. The description says it sounds like a 50 watt amp, something I would seriously doubt. My 17 wpc Inspire doesn't sound like a 50 watt amp.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:06 PM

Default Virtual NAS Server

Well, since it has been very quiet around here for a long while, I thought I would update on my source improvement progress.

After about 5 years using digital player Foobar2K, I'm now streaming from my laptop using a virtual NAS server (within the same PC), composed of: Linn Kazoo > JPlay Streamer > MinimServer. Still too early for a verdict, as I have yet to really compare its performance with the FBK, but many people are really convinced this is the best approach (even beating the dual-PC configuration, at least using Windows 10 Pro). So, I'll keep you guys posted in case there is interest.

About to order Schiit EITR, a USB to SPDI/F converter which improves on the existing USB input module in my Schiit Yggdrasil DAC. That's another potentially very tangible improvement. I believe the best bang for the buck in these audio systems is in the source area, where improvements really permeate the entire presentation. We'll see.

On another topic, I've been neglecting the KT-77's and KT-88's in lieu of VA 350 B's, which to me sound really good, sort of mid-way between a 6L6 and a 6550. Not quite as detailed and transparent as the KT-77 nor as bodily and bass-rich as the KT-88, but a nice compromise between those two. Nevertheless, I'll be going back to the KT-77 and KT-88 (maybe even 6550), for my formal critical listening of the virtual NAS server streaming, to give it my best shot.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 12-12-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:50 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Musica Amantem.......Since you mentioned your Schiit Yggdrasil DAC and your intent to purchase the Schiit EITR USB to SPDI/F converter, I am curious if your Yggdrasil has the new 5.0 USB input or the older 3.0 USB input. I am on the verge of ordering a Schiit Yggdrasil DAC to use with my Aurender N100H music server which has USB output only, so I am interested in anything you might shed light on about incorporating the Schiit EITR converter with your DAC.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-13-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Musica Amantem.......Since you mentioned your Schiit Yggdrasil DAC and your intent to purchase the Schiit EITR USB to SPDI/F converter, I am curious if your Yggdrasil has the new 5.0 USB input or the older 3.0 USB input. I am on the verge of ordering a Schiit Yggdrasil DAC to use with my Aurender N100H music server which has USB output only, so I am interested in anything you might shed light on about incorporating the Schiit EITR converter with your DAC.
The only reason I'm going with EITR is because shipping logistics makes it literally unfeasible to go for the in-house upgrade of my Yggdrasil's Gen 3 USB input module to the new Gen 5 module. The next best thing (and according to Schiit with no SQ difference) is to get the EITR.

If you buy a Yggdrasil now, it will incorporate the new Gen 5 USB input module standard. Mine was bought when it was first released, in 2016. The Yggdrasil DAC is just excellent, and this new Gen 5 USB input module will still improve it thanks to better galvanized isolation from the laptop's USB signal output.

The advantage of the stand-alone EITR is you can use it with any DAC with a coaxial input aside from the traditional USB input. The disadvantage, of course, is the extra stage involved.

If you have any other questions or doubts, don't hesitate to ask. I'm a big fan of the Yggy.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 12-13-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:59 PM

Went to the Toy Shop to show off my updated 2A3 amp, sporting a parallel driver circuit. Dennis really liked it and says it sounds as good as a 100 Wat amp! OK perhaps he was embellishing a little, but running a dual triode driver tube in parallel for each channel really gives some authority to the bass. I was surprised at how easily the 3.5W amp controlled the 15" drivers of the shop speakers.

Untitled by Analog Addict, on Flickr

Dennis also sent me some pix of a new system he is burning in at home, a purpose built KT-150 amp and LP-3a pre amp...

hot rod triode 1 by Analog Addict, on Flickr

LP-3a by Analog Addict, on Flickr
Old 12-14-2017, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
Dennis also sent me some pix of a new system he is burning in at home, a purpose built KT-150 amp and LP-3a pre amp...

Does anyone here on this forum happen to KNOW if the KT150 hotrod version of the Inspire Firebottle will effectively drive a pair of larger 90db speakers with dual 8" woofers and ribbon style tweeter?

Doing various online searches on various forums regarding 2+ year old units, several have been resold with comments about "needing more power", etc. I have no clue about the current version and thought about trying one with my existing Cary SLP98L preamp. I've never heard one, so I'm asking... Thanks.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Does anyone here on this forum happen to KNOW if the KT150 hotrod version of the Inspire Firebottle will effectively drive a pair of larger 90db speakers with dual 8" woofers and ribbon style tweeter?

Doing various online searches on various forums regarding 2+ year old units, several have been resold with comments about "needing more power", etc. I have no clue about the current version and thought about trying one with my existing Cary SLP98L preamp. I've never heard one, so I'm asking... Thanks.

Decooney,

Lately DH has been building triode strapped pentode amps such as the one just posted by Analog. These amps do produce significantly less power than the SEPs he was building not long ago. If you look at his latest ebay offering you will see the the SET yielded 7+ watts for the KT150. A similar SEP model would produce about 12 watts. I do not think the HOT ROD versions in the past were more powerful than their standard brethren. They had better components and a sweeter sound as I did hear one a/b against my PSE amp when I went to pick it up.

As to your real question, will it drive your speakers? It will depend a lot on your listening levels, size of room, and type of music. I can say the the more efficient of the two speakers in DH's listening room, the shorter ones in AA's picture are about 90db and they do really fill the room well. The larger 4 ways i believe are in the high 80dbs and they do the same. His room is not really large though. I estimate 14x12 with a bit more depth on one side where he has his drawing board, 8 foot ceilings. I personally am a fan of his SEP offerings. I have two. I did hear one of his 45s (a true triode) a while back and though I did hear the mid range magic I prefer the punch of the SEP. dH described it as an old mans amp and I get the reference. There are those here who contend the triode strapped pentodes are the best compromise. I could not say in that I have not heard one. Maybe next time i am in Cary.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:21 PM

BearCityUSA, appreciate the reply.

14'x19' room, but I sit closer to the speakers, 12' vaulted ceilings. Listening now to my larger current V12-R Cary amp...It's an amp I'd like to save and keep for a long time and rotate in another once in a while. This setup is happy at 10:30 on the clock volume dial of my SLP98 preamp for low listening at night. Both pieces are former DH creations. For my regular low listening level the V12R seems to be way overkill, all 16 tubes a glowin' but sounds amazing in 50wpc triode mode. Makes a great room heater for winter time right now A recent upgrade included the newer Silver-Gold mundorf caps, hexfreds, and all NOS Sylvania input tubes so I'm really partial to the sound now - but not enough to want to use it all the time, wanna save it. If the DH HotRod KT150 strapped Triode amp could drive my larger speakers at low volumes and still sound relatively FULL like this V12R does, I'd be happy. The V12R is an amazingly full sounding tube amp like no other amp I've owned (except SS). My former SLI-80 won't hold a candle to it, not when I pair it to an SLP98 preamp. It triode it's pure bliss. Attached a pic. Ignore the subs below, those are separate and I can run them as optional. My main custom-built AMT/Electrostatic speakers are pictured on top. If I bought and tried the HotRod and it did not work well, I'd be putting it right back on the market. I won't be selling my speakers, way too much time invested. Also, wanna keep the V12-R as a future collector piece. Nothing like it out there...would be cool to have a mini version of itself in compact form factor like the DH KT120 HotRod.

Any last thoughts or concerns? Can the DH KT150 Inspire Hot Rod go here on rotation every once in a while?

Last edited by decooney; 12-15-2017 at 02:34 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:00 AM

Room dimensions aside, listening near-field with a setup which maximizes the speakers/sweet-spot triangular area for optimal SPL would essentially accommodate for most amp/speaker combinations. The tradeoff is the triangular area yo get to enjoy. If you want to keep those speakers and also drive them with flea-powered tube amps, you need to sacrifice those triangle dimensions.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
BearCityUSA, appreciate the reply.

Any last thoughts or concerns? Can the DH KT150 Inspire Hot Rod go here on rotation every once in a while?
Knowing that you are running a V12 I have no doubts you will be ecstatic with a purchase of an Inspire. I had a pair of entry level Cary Monoblocks before I bought my Inspire KT SEP amp. Dennis said I would sell them though I planned on not. He was right. They did not stand up to his current offerings. Not even close. You may find the same with your V12.

I suggest you contact Dennis via ebay and discuss which amp to buy from him. He will be able to steer you in the right direction. I do get the feeling he is reluctant to do special order products for just anyone. You being a Cary owner he may treat you like family. Otherwise I suggest offering to pay up front.

Good luck,
Scott