AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 12-14-2017, 10:10 AM

I would keep the 452 and add a Mac 2 channel preamp as mentioned above. I do recommend listening to a C2600 in combo with the 452 if possible before buying the C52. The combination of a tube pre with solid state amplification has proven to be revolutionary for some, myself included. I also own a MX122 and use a C1100 pass thru feeding 1.2KW's for 2 channel. You can always decide to its not for you and buy the C52. The MC601's are great amps, but right now you will get much more improvement in sound from a dedicated 2 channel preamp.

Terry

Last edited by Azbiker; 12-14-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:20 PM

I have a C52 and MC452 and I just love it. I liked the C52 over the C2600. Seem more dynamic but you can’t go wrong with either one.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azbiker View Post
I would keep the 452 and add a Mac 2 channel preamp as mentioned above. I do recommend listening to a C2600 in combo with the 452 if possible before buying the C52. The combination of a tube pre with solid state amplification has proven to be revolutionary for some, myself included. I also own a MX122 and use a C1100 pass thru feeding 1.2KW's for 2 channel. You can always decide to its not for you and buy the C52. The MC601's are great amps, but right now you will get much more improvement in sound from a dedicated 2 channel preamp.
Thank you all *very* much for all your help and guidance. So I am going with a solution for 2-channels (not amplification at this stage). If I heard you all right, I can either:

1. Get an SS pre-amp+DAC: C52
2. Tube pre-amp+DAC: C2600
3. Get a standalone pre-amp (C2300) and add/keep upgrading DAC's as long as I want

But what about this fourth option: I only get a DAC and connect it to the MX122 and use it for stereo listening.
I have no idea if this is feasible (whether the MX122 has analog circuits out).
If it is possible, then I get to:

1. Improve my 2-channel sound
2. Spend less money (only DAC and not pre-amp and DAC)
3. Retain the ability to upgrade the DAC in the future if I wish to keep improving the sound.

I apologize for my so many questions, but I have spent and am going to spend quite a lot of money, so want to make sure I know what I am doing.

Thank you very much!
Old 12-14-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbear View Post
Can you expand on what you mean when you say the volume control on the D1100 is not of the same quality as any of the dedicated stereo pre amps?

This was discussed on another thread regarding the need for a preamp in an all digital system. The elimination of the preamp will hypothetically allow for a more direct signal with fewer intervening circuits. Many have espoused this technique but many have mentioned a sterile sound with less body then through a preamp.
My contention has been that the added circuits are beneficial to the sound by taking the impedance load off the DAC’s output, using a more robust amplifier to supply the amplifier and use a superior amplification technique (tubes).
How could any volume control/amplifier crammed into a DAC or disc player equal a two box C1100?
Often these are for convenience and are opamps not discreet stages.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:57 AM

My thoughts are that the MC452 needs a lot more time on it to open up. Also, try the 4 ohm tap after you have 100+ hours on the amplifier and give it a listen.

What DAC are you using again?
Old 12-15-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
My thoughts are that the MC452 needs a lot more time on it to open up. Also, try the 4 ohm tap after you have 100+ hours on the amplifier and give it a listen.

What DAC are you using again?
I am currently only using the DAC on the MX122, so definitely not optimized for 2-channel listening.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killergurt View Post
Thank you all *very* much for all your help and guidance. So I am going with a solution for 2-channels (not amplification at this stage). If I heard you all right, I can either:

1. Get an SS pre-amp+DAC: C52
2. Tube pre-amp+DAC: C2600
3. Get a standalone pre-amp (C2300) and add/keep upgrading DAC's as long as I want

But what about this fourth option: I only get a DAC and connect it to the MX122 and use it for stereo listening.
I have no idea if this is feasible (whether the MX122 has analog circuits out).
If it is possible, then I get to:

1. Improve my 2-channel sound
2. Spend less money (only DAC and not pre-amp and DAC)
3. Retain the ability to upgrade the DAC in the future if I wish to keep improving the sound.

I apologize for my so many questions, but I have spent and am going to spend quite a lot of money, so want to make sure I know what I am doing.

Thank you very much!
I confirmed with Mcintosh that it was not possible to connect a DAC directly to the MX122. The only route would be a pre-amp/DAC.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:07 AM

I agree that the best move would be to buy a preamp. A more economical solution than the C2600 or C52 would be the C47. It has the same DAC as the other two and if it has enough inputs/outputs to satisfy you and you don't have a desire for the redundant output meters, it would be a great first preamp for your system. Do a comparison between those three preamps on the McIntosh site and you'll see that the performance specs are virtually the same.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvis View Post
I agree that the best move would be to buy a preamp. A more economical solution than the C2600 or C52 would be the C47. It has the same DAC as the other two and if it has enough inputs/outputs to satisfy you and you don't have a desire for the redundant output meters, it would be a great first preamp for your system. Do a comparison between those three preamps on the McIntosh site and you'll see that the performance specs are virtually the same.
Thank you Jayvis, I haven’t even considered the C47, I will do a comparison.
Quick question: if I buy a pre-amp+DAC like the C47, 48, 52, is it possible in the future to add a better standalone DAC and bypass the DAC in those devices?

Or maybe I should get a C1100 and buy a separate DAC which is not a McIntosh?
I wish there was a way to take all those components home and just try them :-)

Thank you again!
Old 12-16-2017, 12:17 PM

Great looking system you have comming together there Mr Gurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killergurt View Post
I wish there was a way to take all those components home and just try them :-)
This is exactually what I was just going to recommend. Do you not have dealers close by to work with? For reference I just finished up a search for a new preamp. I was able to cycle in at least 8 different preamps for extended in home demos. At the prices you are going to pay this should be considered a requirement.

Also, I'm pretty familiar with your older B&W speakers. They can be magical but require a lot of in home demo work to select the correct matching electronics.