AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 11-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Christian View Post
Does anyone have this combo or heard it. Aside from the two Mc's My preamp is the C2500. Would this be a good pairing.
I currently have some older Dali's but I was almost going to pull the the trigger on a pair of B&W 800 which I have heard with my amp setup.

Looking for any good insight/experience from the Magico group.

Best
HC
Hans, admittedly I haven't heard McIntosh gear before, but looking at the retail prices and having a bias toward tube-like solid state, if it were me I would look to simplify my system, and focus on quality over quantity (watts) as I said. To be honest, the Vitus SIA-025 & ASR-Emitter II mentioned earlier (if you don't mind the large box count) are in another league to the McIntosh components you mentioned. The Vitus has "only" 50 watts Class A into 4 ohms, but it is the most powerful 50 watts i've ever heard & easily controls the S5's in my medium size room. Because i've reduced my box count down to one box, i'm able to focus on using higher quality cables & isolation (Stillpoints Ultra 5's) to further optimize the sound. Also the sound is warm, rich, mellifluous & quite analogue sounding, so whilst there may not be as much midrange bloom as tubes (which I don't think is correct actually), you would not be disappointed coming from tubes. Industrial design and build quality are first class. I admit the McIntosh gear has blingy lights and looks pretty, but I find the simple appealing design of the Vitus does not wear on me & stands the test of time. My 2 cents.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Hans, admittedly I haven't heard McIntosh gear before, but looking at the retail prices and having a bias toward tube-like solid state, if it were me I would look to simplify my system, and focus on quality over quantity (watts) as I said. To be honest, the Vitus SIA-025 & ASR-Emitter II mentioned earlier (if you don't mind the large box count) are in another league to the McIntosh components you mentioned. The Vitus has "only" 50 watts Class A into 4 ohms, but it is the most powerful 50 watts i've ever heard & easily controls the S5's in my medium size room. Because i've reduced my box count down to one box, i'm able to focus on using higher quality cables & isolation (Stillpoints Ultra 5's) to further optimize the sound. Also the sound is warm, rich, mellifluous & quite analogue sounding, so whilst there may not be as much midrange bloom as tubes (which I don't think is correct actually), you would not be disappointed coming from tubes. Industrial design and build quality are first class. I admit the McIntosh gear has blingy lights and looks pretty, but I find the simple appealing design of the Vitus does not wear on me & stands the test of time. My 2 cents.
Thats good advice.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:26 AM

I also fully agree with what David said. Vitus is really in a different league compared to any McIntosh (and I could say the same between on a B&W 800 compared to any Magico speaker...)

Last edited by jazzman; 11-02-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:30 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
I also fully agree with what David said. Vitus is really in a different league compared to any McIntosh (and I could say the same between on a B&W 800 compared to any Magico speaker...)
Cheers guys. As always YMMV, but having heard a wide array of solid state & tube amps including Ayon, Aesthetix, Cary & Carver to name a few, the Vitus amps simply make you want to listen to music. And having taken delivery of a Vitus & seen the immaculate build quality and attention to detail (right down to the shipping materials), I can confirm it is all first class. The heavy aluminum remote is the best quality remove i've ever seen (including Boulder). Even the included Andromeda power cord is excellent & is currently in use with my Oppo as an upgraded pc. Btw i've found Hans Vitus to be a very friendly and knowledgeable guy to deal with both pre & post purchase. Most recently he provided a very helpful tip on where to place the Stillpoints Ultra 5's under my amp to achieve the best sound. To me that very much reflects the whole Vitus experience.

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 11-02-2013 at 07:46 AM. Reason: grammar