AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 08-20-2009, 06:24 PM

Location: Constitution State. Formerly known as the Nutmeg State

Sitting on the edge of my seat!!
Old 08-21-2009, 09:15 AM

OK Guys I am back.

Jim is right, I do need a job (read the news Seagate moving out of Singapore by 2010?) and of course playing with the combo.

First the oddballs:

1. Both the PWT & PWD comes with remotes. Exactly the same. This effectively mean one can have the luxury of losing or damaging one remote and not feel the pain, unlike the McIntosh MCD & MDA combo where only one remote is given. One up against Mac.

2. Tried switching the stock 1GB SanDisk Memory card to an 8GB one and know what? The transport stopped working altogether! It just hang! Putting back the stock 1GB makes that work again. Seems to me there must be some factory preloaded softward in the given 1GB card. Well, looks like my S$36 investment to improve on storage for the PWT may go down the drain! I have written to Paul McGowan and hopefully, he will reply why this is so.

3. For some CD's, the cover art does not appear at all. So, the only way is to do it in PS Audio's website to update "MY playlist". No time to do this, so will just make do without the album art and CD songs' playlist, especially those of Asian Origin.

4. Tried powering down using the PPP. This causes a loud "cracking" sound from the speakers! Has the scare of my life. The Acapellas ION Plasma high frequency transducer costs US$17k per pair! Nearly died! Thank God they worked again!!

So, to power down, one had to power off BOTH the combo using the remote "OFF" button. Then power down the rest using the PPP remote. Nary a sound. Switching on? No problem, a press of the PPP button powers all of them up, no sound at all!

5. The touch screen on the PWT seem to respond to the slightest change in light intensity. By this I mean it flickers brighter and then darker every now and then. The PWD seem more stable. Confirm this by having the rooms lights out and transport's screen is now a stable bright lit. Not a problem but merely an observation at how sensitive the screen's display are.

6. The Remote Control is not very sensitive and by that I mean one got to be DIRECT straight line with the transport in order that the signal can be responded to. A slight off side, no reaction whatsoever for any button that is being pressed. Scouring the PS Audio site confirmed this as the manufacturer do recognise this issue.

Now to the performance. All settings at Native, 44.1KHz, Auto Filter and "In Phase" settings. These are the standard "Recommended Settings" for the PWD.

1. My first CD - Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Mobile Fidelity Version) sounded really NICE! None of the oldies recordings syndrome. By that I mean, thin sounding at certain parts of the music, some shrill at certain high frequencies and bass notes sounding like thuds. This is even more apparent when playing Teresa Teng's older music when she was alive back then (30 years ago) for the Polydor label. For those of you who knew this singer, and had her discs, you will know what I mean.

Now, the CD's sounded more analogue sounding. Very soothing and natural sounding. No more shrills, harshness and thuds. Bass is bass, though it does not plummet into labyrinth depths (if its not there, its not there right?). Linda Ronstadt's "Prisoner In Disguise" and Dan Fogelberg's "The Very Best" confirmed the performance.

The final litmus test was David Gates "First". the way it sounded not only brought me musical hallucination but also seem like transporting me back to 1974 where I was then a student gawking at my first true sweetheart while playing the vinyl copy. Oh, how I miss those sweet time. Memories!

2. Switching to the newer Allan Taylor's "Looking For You" under Stockfisch label gives me the goose pimples. The guitar, the bass notes and his "Roger Waters" sound alike vocal style is simply breath taking. I would strongly recommend this CD to anyone who wanted to find out how well his system would sound like. Play it and you will know what I mean.

Changing to Sergio Mendes "Encanto" - the first song "the look of love" will show you how your speakers can produce BASS! The first note, at about 20 seconds into the song will show you. Hit it loud and you will FEEL the earth move .... I may not like the way this song is now being interpreted, but certainly, the presentation is quite refreshing in a way. Seems like his next CD "Timeless" also exhibit this "Basso Nova" style as can be heard in the first track "Mas Que Nada" where the Black Eyed Peas perform for him.

Volume is at "45" to "50" setting. Well, thats like half of the volume bar. My Acapellas never sounded so smooth before. Not even with the McIntosh MC501's in play. The Jeff Rowland displayed NONE of the so called Digital Problems as highlighted in many reviews I have read about Class D amps for the past 2 years. A case of "de-javu" where the problems been licked in this latest release?

For sure, the amps does sounded powerful with seemingly limitless power delivery! Its kinda like the MC1201's in play except they sounded a little different. Where the MC1201's sounded powerful and brutish, these little amps sounded just smooth!

After nearly 2 hours every day for the past 3 days, I am still listening to this new setup and the louder I cranked up the volume, the delivery never fails to impress.

I wont say this setup is definitely better sounding that an all McIntosh setup as I dont think its fair of me to make an opinion based purely on memory. Certainly, this is one system that can be termed as enjoyable. And never made an impression on me that I need to reflect back on what I had owned before!

For sure, the amps are definitely more powerful and smoother in delivery than the MA6600, without a doubt. While the MA6600 drove the Acapellas musically, the Jeff drove the same music to a much more palatable level. Everything seem to be "just nice", "just right" - while the McIntosh MA6600 seem more 2D in comparison. By itself, it is a wonderful amp, dont get me wrong. But viz-aviz, the difference is pretty noticeable.

The quip I have is these new equipments seem to attract dust as the plastic wrappings, which I left on the PWT & PWD is now so dusty. I will clean up the whole rack before snapping pictures to share. I cant let you guys see how dirty (and lazy) I have become.

If my past systems had brought my enjoyment to another level, this current combos had been able to maintain the same, if not bringing the enjoyment a slight notch up! And this being the analogue sounding quality of the combo which makes listening so pleasurable, effortless and relax!

I will definitely want to do a shoot out between the MCD500 vs this combo. But that will have to wait a while as I do want to have more sessions to find out more about this combo's characteristics as well as the Jeff Rowland amps capabilities. For sure, Class D amps are NOT cool. The amps chassis (beautifully milled and finished) does feel warm to the touch!

And the single blue LED is so beautiful in the dark. A different kind of beauty from the lovely McIntosh blue meters! Do I miss the McIntosh gears, well, NO! If I do, I would only just walk back to my bedroom and switch the McIntosh "left over" gears on. The snag is I have NO speakers plus the strength to move them into the bedroom.

By the way, this is for Dan.

I have heard the MOST powerful FULL Bryston and PMC setup this afternoon. Quoted S$ price (list or net I would not know)

Bryston setup:

BCD1 CD - S$4k
BP26 Pre (dont know which version though) - S$6k
4 sets of 28B SST2 amps (Quad power 4k watts per channel)!!! - $25k per pair (so its S$100k here)
2 Bryston Electronic Crossover - S$4.5k each (S$9k here)
MB2XBDi Speakers (with crossover removed) - S$55k

15 minutes session. Sound? Clear and effortless. Bass? Out of this world, for sure beat the crap out of my Acapellas !!! And its not just the specs of 20 Hz vs 24Hz. Its the way the bass wraps around around you! Not over powering yet full! Seriously better sounding than the XRT30, MC1201's combo I had before.

Throw in the cables and PPP's, this will definitely crosses over the S$200k level. In this field, there are going to be lots of combos to choose from. This only makes me realized there is simply no end to this hobby. At this point, it becomes more a matter of taste and preference than straight performance betterment!

BUT I will give this system a miss - simply for the reason on the MESS of cables one have to deal with. Quad amps - speaker cables will kill!!! I do not like the idea of area cleaning. My past experience with the XRT30's (tri-amp) is enough! Its tiring!

So much for now. Will post pics next, after I clean up the racks and equipments.
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar

Last edited by JSCC; 08-21-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:29 AM

Great review Jerry. Sounds like you have landed in another wonderful system, and get to report to us from the frontier of new and exciting products. Congratulations!
Old 08-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Jerry.......A most interesting review. It seems the PWT and PWD have their little eccentric characteristics, too, like the narrow IR sensitivity for the remotes, and backlight sensitivity for the screens, but minor issues for sure. The overall sound seems to be pleasing for you, so it will only improve as the transport and DAC break in, and even more so once you are using the HDMI cable, and are able to take advantage of PS Audio's I2S data stream between the PMT and the PWD.

I am pleased to hear the Jeff Rowland Class D amps are musical sounding. Digital switching amps have come a long ways in the past three or four years. Jeff's amps always seem to take advanyage of the latest and greatest leading edge designs. I am excited to see your photos, particularly of the Jeff Rowland amps. I know this gear looks great on your beautiful rack system.

Thanks for the note on the Bryston/PMC system. It is obviously an over the top set up. I would love to audition that system.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-21-2009, 12:07 PM

Ok, here's the pics. Sorry for the poor resolution as am using the iPhone 3G (S) to take them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0010.jpg (93.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0011.jpg (89.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0012.jpg (92.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0013.jpg (92.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0014.jpg (90.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0015.jpg (90.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0016.jpg (91.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0018.jpg (89.6 KB, 50 views)
Old 08-21-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Jerry.......A most interesting review. It seems the PWT and PWD have their little eccentric characteristics, too, like the narrow IR sensitivity for the remotes, and backlight sensitivity for the screens, but minor issues for sure. The overall sound seems to be pleasing for you, so it will only improve as the transport and DAC break in, and even more so once you are using the HDMI cable, and are able to take advantage of PS Audio's I2S data stream between the PMT and the PWD.

I am pleased to hear the Jeff Rowland Class D amps are musical sounding. Digital switching amps have come a long ways in the past three or four years. Jeff's amps always seem to take advanyage of the latest and greatest leading edge designs. I am excited to see your photos, particularly of the Jeff Rowland amps. I know this gear looks great on your beautiful rack system.

Thanks for the note on the Bryston/PMC system. It is obviously an over the top set up. I would love to audition that system.
Hi Dan,

I am using the I2S HDMI connection between the PWT & PWD (using Wireworld's HDMI for now). Am waiting the PS Audio's Perfectwave HDMI I2S version.

Just posted the pics. Hope you can see them.

Cheers!
Old 08-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jerry.......Very nice. I like the PS Audio gear stacked together like that. The Jeff Rowland amps are fantastic looking. Your sound system sure has gone through a metamorphose this past year or so.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-21-2009, 01:08 PM

Jerry, excellent! Enjoy!
Old 08-21-2009, 02:33 PM

Jerry

Nice write up and thanks for the pics. It looks like you have settling in with another beautiful system. As Dan said it will be interesting as the units break in and the sound should continue to get better for a little while now.

Gee, I was only joking with the guys here as to why you were slow on posting. You are usually are up at crazy hours filling us in as to what is going so when we hadn't heard from you I was trying to explain that you do have a job and family. They must come before our request for a little write-up. I did not know about Seagate moving out of Singapore. Good Luck
Jim
Old 08-21-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
Jerry

Nice write up and thanks for the pics. It looks like you have settling in with another beautiful system. As Dan said it will be interesting as the units break in and the sound should continue to get better for a little while now.

Gee, I was only joking with the guys here as to why you were slow on posting. You are usually are up at crazy hours filling us in as to what is going so when we hadn't heard from you I was trying to explain that you do have a job and family. They must come before our request for a little write-up. I did not know about Seagate moving out of Singapore. Good Luck
Jim
I know you are joking my friend. It had been announced at the beginning of this month Seagate will moved ALL drives manufacturing out of Singapore. As I am working under their "IHQ (International HeadQuarters) status, think I wont be affected for like 3 years from now. For sure, this is NOT the first laid off (retrenchment) exercise I have gone thru. Anyway, its part and parcel of employment life, so just move on.

I am still up now, close to 2.45 am Saturday morning, listening to my new combo. Ron is trying to coax me to listen to his Rockport Aquila ... a cool $45k (he had yet to tempt me on the S$ discount). Seriously, I am still very much smitten by the Acapellas, so it would have to take a lot of dollars to entice me!!!

I was "ROCKED" off my socks on another audition - the FULL Bryston/PMC ACTIVE setup! If it was a year back, no brainer, would have that moved into my home. Today, I have to learn to accept that having wonderful sound is one thing, having a wonderful meaningful life is another and for that I mean NOT having to keep cleaning my racks, gears and cablings. The last chore is a killer! Just looking at the lot of cables behind the racks is enough to remind me that I would be nag to death .... by my better half if she sees any sign of "balls of cotton wool" - a.k.a. dust forming up. Today, the lesser cables to manage, the better!

Its easy for domestic helper to clean up the mess, but this also open up the risk of having my racks scratched and worse, gears knocked and dinged! Speakers especially. So, the tender loving cleaning care would have to be done by myself. Once a while, in good mood, its a nice job. BUT when certain unhappy days mood seeps in, its such a bore! So, I rather have a "simpler" system with lesser cables to clean! I rather sit on the couch, drink some soft drinks and listen to music and doze off. Come to think of it, I must really be getting old ......

I love writing about my experience and knowing there are good friends out there who will read them with interest just builds up the mood. Dont worry, when I am not working, I will pen down my feelings on what I have seen, touch and heard! Like right now!

I am looking forward to you coming over again. Meanwhile, I am also planning to have a trip over to Florida with my family sometime end of this year for a vacation. The girls and wife can have their fun at Disneyworld and the other places of interests, while I can plan for some catch up with you guys whoever are near there. Of course, I would be glad to pay McMecca a visit! This would call for a lot of proper planning as time and resources must be in sync. Moreover, its not cheap. A trip like that for 10 days would have cost me at least S$30k, tickets, hotels and shopping (this is the killer piece. Women in my life just dont know when to stop. All they know is telling me off that I had spent more on my hifi! Oh well ....) Hopefully, everything can fall in place like 2006 when I last made my trip to the US with the entire family.

Cheers!

Last edited by JSCC; 08-21-2009 at 02:55 PM.