AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 02-19-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob725 View Post
Correct, so I'm tri-amping. XLRs from c53 to 1.25s then XLR out from 1.25s to 901s. The 1.25s are driving the the 4 6.5" bass drivers, which handle up to 150hz. The 901 SS section drives the 2 6.5" midbass drivers - 150hz to 400hz - and then the 901 tube section drives the tweeters and midrange panel, which handles above 400hz.

I think a pretty similar result could be had a bit more economically by combining the 1.25s with the MC2301 300w tube monos and an external crossover, as the 1.25s could drive all six 6.5" bass drivers.
I see that you are new to AA or just beginning to post. I think you have chosen very very wisely. Your 901's and 1.25's are keepers forever. I'm super impressed, honestly. You have possibly a little room to advance with your pre and sources but they are also superb.

I recently installed a Wilson XVX Chronosonic. You can see my system under Charles System in the Member System Forum and in this Forum under Show Us Your Mac System. It's right at the very end so easy to find. Also, in the Wilson Forum under XVX Installation. All recent since the XVX went in on Dec 31 2019.

I probably would have gone all Mac including speakers if the Mac speakers would have been compatible with my A-Frame. The 2.1's are simply to tall and too wide so no possibility.

You are probably a good bit younger than me. I would have had to have the 2.1's to be happy. But even then 1.1's would not have fit as well as my Chronosonics, which amazingly are only about 15.5 inches wide but very deep and about the same height as the 1.1's. They weigh in at about 700 pounds each.

So you have begun with an absolutely terrific system, with potential for future improvement should you so choose. If my travel situation ever changes, I'll let you know. Also I'll pm you so that if you are ever in my area I'll have you over for a listen and take you out to dinner.

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 02-19-2020 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:19 PM

Well, I didn't start out all Mc at all. When I built my house and HT about 7 years ago, I had nice LR speakers based on Accuton drivers driven by a used Boulder 1100 series stereo amp. The other 5 HT speakers were driven by a MC 5 channel amp. I was impressed enough by it, that when I added Atmos, I added the 3 x 300wt Mc amp to drive the center and surrounds and a seven channel Mc amp for the rears and 4 ceiling atmos speakers.

I did a little two channel listening, but mostly watched movies and also did SACD multichannel using an oppo.

I actually came to this setup initially looking for a good roon soultion (which I recently added) for my HT room. I found the brand new c53 because of its updated DAC cabable of native DSD512, roon compatability and HT passthrough. As I started reading more on the some of the new Mc stuff, I got the itch to try the 611 amps, which had reviewed really well and based upon my positive impressions with the Mc amps I had. Then started reading up on the new 1.1 speakers, which sounded like a great speaker for home theater and maybe more. I considered its larger sibling but felt they would completely overpower the room and that the 1.1 would be more than enough (which they surely are from a power handling standpoint) for my room. I don't have access to much through local dealers (in this part of the country local is about an hour away by car), but I do have a good Mc dealer who offered me good trade-ins on what I had. So, I took the plunge and ordered the 1.1s. Of course, the 611s, while good, don't match up quite as well as the 1.25s with the 1.1s, so I ordered them instead.

After listening for a while to the c53, 1.25, 1.1 combo, I was just so impressed that the sacd/cd transport seemed like a no brainer as I was already pretty happy with the DAC in the C53, which I had been subjecting to 24/7 break-in with roon. And I think it sounds good, but I listen to much more roon than spinning disks.

So, there are likely better sources, as the clocks to drive the DACs found in higher end standalone and disc-playing gear cost as much as the C53, but I'd love to do some AB, as the swiss army knife C53 sounds really nice. It also has a pretty good phono-pre built in which I am currently using with a newly acquired lyra Etna SL. Since everyone is convinced that I am missing out without a dedicated phono-pre, I have on the way from Ivan an Esoteric E-02, which I am excited to add to the system. It will be interesting though as the C53 is doing an admirable job with the very low output cartridge.

That was a very long way of saying that, while I may look like a hopeless McIntosh fanboy, I only came to this because their products have outperformed my expectations every step of the way.

And, one of the reasons I felt confident to take a gamble on these products without hearing them or even having many reviews, was this site, which is one of the few places one can find so many actual McIntosh users, most of whom are quite happy with their products and service, and who can obviously afford to buy whatever they like.

So, thank you all!!
Amplification Mc MC901 & MC1.25KW monoblocs; Shunyata Sigma ICs;1 AudioQuest Niagra 5K per side powering amps using Shunyata Sigma PCs
Preamp/Digital Mc C1100 Preamp Sh. Sigma V2 PC; Mc D1100 DAC Sh Sigma PC; Mc MCT500 transport Sh. Venom 14 PC; : Intel NUC w/Mc Drvr as Roon Endpoint, Sh. Sigma USB, Sh. Venom 14D PC; Sh. Denali 6000/s v2.
Analog Basis 2200Sig TT; Basis SuperArm 9 TA; Lyra Etna SL Cart;
HT:
Speakers: C-B&W CT8.2LCR; LRSur-B&W CT8.4 LCRS; R-B&W 804D2; CeilAtmos-4X B&W CCM8.5D; SUB-2X JL Gotham
Amps: C+Surr MC303; R+Atm- 2 x MC255
PrePro/Video: Marantz AV8805; KScape; Sony 4kBluRay; Sony VPL-VW995ES 4K Laser Proj.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:55 AM

I need to see pics of this system... it sounds amazing!
Old 03-05-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver View Post
Will do. I'll get some up in the next couple of days.
Amplification Mc MC901 & MC1.25KW monoblocs; Shunyata Sigma ICs;1 AudioQuest Niagra 5K per side powering amps using Shunyata Sigma PCs
Preamp/Digital Mc C1100 Preamp Sh. Sigma V2 PC; Mc D1100 DAC Sh Sigma PC; Mc MCT500 transport Sh. Venom 14 PC; : Intel NUC w/Mc Drvr as Roon Endpoint, Sh. Sigma USB, Sh. Venom 14D PC; Sh. Denali 6000/s v2.
HT:
Speakers: C-B&W CT8.2LCR; LRSur-B&W CT8.4 LCRS; R-B&W 804D2; CeilAtmos-4X B&W CCM8.5D; SUB-2X JL Gotham
PrePro/Video: Marantz AV8805; KScape; Sony 4kBluRay; Sony VPL-VW995ES 4K Laser Proj.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver View Post
Count me in on that as well.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 03-06-2020, 09:06 PM

Count me in also. As you know I think you have a super system. I'm a great believer in sound signatures. I love the Mac sound. Would enjoy the 1.1's through the 901's and 1.25 so much. A very unique system to say the least.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Well, I didn't start out all Mc at all. When I built my house and HT about 7 years ago, I had nice LR speakers based on Accuton drivers driven by a used Boulder 1100 series stereo amp. The other 5 HT speakers were driven by a MC 5 channel amp. I was impressed enough by it, that when I added Atmos, I added the 3 x 300wt Mc amp to drive the center and surrounds and a seven channel Mc amp for the rears and 4 ceiling atmos speakers.

I did a little two channel listening, but mostly watched movies and also did SACD multichannel using an oppo.

I actually came to this setup initially looking for a good roon soultion (which I recently added) for my HT room. I found the brand new c53 because of its updated DAC cabable of native DSD512, roon compatability and HT passthrough. As I started reading more on the some of the new Mc stuff, I got the itch to try the 611 amps, which had reviewed really well and based upon my positive impressions with the Mc amps I had. Then started reading up on the new 1.1 speakers, which sounded like a great speaker for home theater and maybe more. I considered its larger sibling but felt they would completely overpower the room and that the 1.1 would be more than enough (which they surely are from a power handling standpoint) for my room. I don't have access to much through local dealers (in this part of the country local is about an hour away by car), but I do have a good Mc dealer who offered me good trade-ins on what I had. So, I took the plunge and ordered the 1.1s. Of course, the 611s, while good, don't match up quite as well as the 1.25s with the 1.1s, so I ordered them instead.

After listening for a while to the c53, 1.25, 1.1 combo, I was just so impressed that the sacd/cd transport seemed like a no brainer as I was already pretty happy with the DAC in the C53, which I had been subjecting to 24/7 break-in with roon. And I think it sounds good, but I listen to much more roon than spinning disks.

So, there are likely better sources, as the clocks to drive the DACs found in higher end standalone and disc-playing gear cost as much as the C53, but I'd love to do some AB, as the swiss army knife C53 sounds really nice. It also has a pretty good phono-pre built in which I am currently using with a newly acquired lyra Etna SL. Since everyone is convinced that I am missing out without a dedicated phono-pre, I have on the way from Ivan an Esoteric E-02, which I am excited to add to the system. It will be interesting though as the C53 is doing an admirable job with the very low output cartridge.

That was a very long way of saying that, while I may look like a hopeless McIntosh fanboy, I only came to this because their products have outperformed my expectations every step of the way.

And, one of the reasons I felt confident to take a gamble on these products without hearing them or even having many reviews, was this site, which is one of the few places one can find so many actual McIntosh users, most of whom are quite happy with their products and service, and who can obviously afford to buy whatever they like.

So, thank you all!!
Rob, I currently have 1.25s running SF Amati Trads and I’m considering upgrading to a similar set up as yours w/ 901s and the 1.25s trip-amped to drive SF Liliums. Are you able to send pics?
Old 03-28-2020, 11:44 PM

Yes. Just recently got theater mostly put back together. I should have some soon. Hoped to already have them up, but its been a bit of a weird couple of weeks.
HT:
Old 03-29-2020, 12:45 AM

Please excuse poor photo and unfinished room:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Theater-1.jpg (782.2 KB, 293 views)
HT:
Old 03-29-2020, 03:40 AM

Default New McIntosh MC901 Dual Mono Amplifier

Quote:
Please excuse poor photo and unfinished room:

Beautiful room and system...enjoy in good health.

How would you describe the interaction of the XRT1.1k with the room.

Is the placement of these line arrays more critical or less critical than with other designs.

Guess I’m trying to find out if they would work well in smaller rooms, placed closer to the walls. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Last edited by JemHadar; 03-29-2020 at 04:17 AM.