AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > D'Agostino Audio

D'Agostino Audio Master Audio Systems

Old 11-29-2012, 09:44 PM

I got to spend some time and talk to the man, Dan D'Agostino today and listen to his latest creation. I've been anxiously awaiting to hear it since it was announced.

We discussed the discreet class A, purist approach topology as well as the rather unusual approach of having tone controls in a preamp of this caliber and price (by-passable of course!) and I especially liked the innovative way the preamp has what appears to be an integrated stand underneath that virtually matches the Momentum optional stands. Until of course you look at the back side and realize the whole stand is actually a power supply with separate analog and digital circuitry feeds. There is a small umbilical cord connecting the stand/power supply and the preamp back plate for the internal power needs.

I also admired the looks of the preamp although of course this is still just a prototype and the real deal will be of course made out of solid block of aluminum with copper trim and a solid top. The swiss timepiece (Breguet) inspired analog volume display/meter certainly is just as attractive as the ones on the Momentum monos. It would make a great mate aesthetically speaking to either the monos or the stereo amp.

On to the important aspect, the performance and sound. I am familiar with the system the preamp was a part of. Alexandria speakers, Momentum monos, Audio Research DAC8, computer sourced high res and normal files for music. This system is always impressive but has always been a bit unstable to my ears in the sense that it would reveal many flaws on the recordings and at times would just momentarily sound either sterile and even overly aggressive to just edgy... That was with the Audio Research Reference 5... Now, that preamp is certainly not like that in the context of other systems but for whatever reason made this system as I describe from time to time.

Enter the new Momentum preamplifier. After spending some time listening to various recordings, I came to the conclusion the system sounded quite different now. I would have never thought it was the same system with just a preamp swap. The Momentum preamp had a transformational effect on the system, it became more relaxed, more organic, less edgy and very musical overall. I tried to pick apart the other differences and was instead constantly pulled back into the music. A very good sign in my book. A very good sounding preamp indeed. The price may be hard to swallow but te synergy it created with the Momentum monoblocks was undeniable and very enjoyable in my opinion. I liked it a lot. I think any serious system and especially one consisting of other D'Agostino Audio products would be well served by this preamp. I'll have to give it some serious thought as to adding it to my system and how to incorporate it best within the context of my complex multichannel system.

As always a very pleasant evening and I enjoyed talking to Dan about his current and future projects as well as our other mutual interests, CARS!!!

A few pics I took to share.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Preamp5.jpg (84.2 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg Preamp1.jpg (88.4 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Preamp2.jpg (87.6 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Preamp3.jpg (95.8 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by PHC1; 11-29-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:28 PM

Serge - Glad you are pleased with the new Agostino Pre. Sounds like a good time with Dan.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
Serge - Glad you are pleased with the new Agostino Pre. Sounds like a good time with Dan.
I was impressed for sure.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:53 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Serge.......Appreciate the insight and hearing about your conversation with Dan.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 11-30-2012, 08:58 AM

Default Greetings

Hello Dan,

i talked to you and your wife at the high end in Munich and i have to say that you are really a nice guy.
My friend has a total Krell Evo systen and it sounds very good. He wants to buy your new amps because he finds them even more naturall sounding with his Alexandria.
Are you planning to make a cheaper line to?

Have a nice day ....
Old 11-30-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I got to spend some time and talk to the man, Dan D'Agostino today and listen to his latest creation. I've been anxiously awaiting to hear it since it was announced.

We discussed the discreet class A, purist approach topology as well as the rather unusual approach of having tone controls in a preamp of this caliber and price (by-passable of course!) and I especially liked the innovative way the preamp has what appears to be an integrated stand underneath that virtually matches the Momentum optional stands. Until of course you look at the back side and realize the whole stand is actually a power supply with separate analog and digital circuitry feeds. There is a small umbilical cord connecting the stand/power supply and the preamp back plate for the internal power needs.

I also admired the looks of the preamp although of course this is still just a prototype and the real deal will be of course made out of solid block of aluminum with copper trim and a solid top. The swiss timepiece (Breguet) inspired analog volume display/meter certainly is just as attractive as the ones on the Momentum monos. It would make a great mate aesthetically speaking to either the monos or the stereo amp.

On to the important aspect, the performance and sound. I am familiar with the system the preamp was a part of. Alexandria speakers, Momentum monos, Audio Research DAC8, computer sourced high res and normal files for music. This system is always impressive but has always been a bit unstable to my ears in the sense that it would reveal many flaws on the recordings and at times would just momentarily sound either sterile and even overly aggressive to just edgy... That was with the Audio Research Reference 5... Now, that preamp is certainly not like that in the context of other systems but for whatever reason made this system as I describe from time to time.

Enter the new Momentum preamplifier. After spending some time listening to various recordings, I came to the conclusion the system sounded quite different now. I would have never thought it was the same system with just a preamp swap. The Momentum preamp had a transformational effect on the system, it became more relaxed, more organic, less edgy and very musical overall. I tried to pick apart the other differences and was instead constantly pulled back into the music. A very good sign in my book. A very good sounding preamp indeed. The price may be hard to swallow but te synergy it created with the Momentum monoblocks was undeniable and very enjoyable in my opinion. I liked it a lot. I think any serious system and especially one consisting of other D'Agostino Audio products would be well served by this preamp. I'll have to give it some serious thought as to adding it to my system and how to incorporate it best within the context of my complex multichannel system.

As always a very pleasant evening and I enjoyed talking to Dan about his current and future projects as well as our other mutual interests, CARS!!!

A few pics I took to share.
Thanks Serge
I have to agree with you that the Momentum amps and pre-amp work really well together. The silence of the two together is amazing. I will never say never but I am struggling with this or any pre-amp in the +$30k price range.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:46 AM

I bet the combo is wonderful. I am not liking the propeller tone control things, though.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
I bet the combo is wonderful. I am not liking the propeller tone control things, though.
Joe
They actually do not look as out of place when you see it in person. I could take or leave them but they aren't the deal breaker for me.

When discussing the Industrial Design with Dan he did indicate some of the design choices were predicated on wiring and other component layout considerations and not just aesthetics.

Last edited by Still-One; 11-30-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:19 PM

Jim,

I am afraid that if I hear the D'ag combo, I will like it. So, I need to not even think about it.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:36 PM

Serge, thanks for sharing your pictures and thoughts around the Momentum Preamplifier at the HiFi House event. This preamp getting more and more interesting to me, thinking about the described synergy it would make with my stereo Momentum. Unfortunately the Momentum series are quite expensive in Norway (Stereo Momentum retails at $44k). I had the ARC ref 5SE in mind for my next preamp. Well, maybe I will delay my planned upgrade, and start some serious saving...

Sven

Last edited by SOA; 11-30-2012 at 07:05 PM.