AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 04-22-2020, 10:02 PM

Don’t think of your decision as a “destination”, but instead as a “journey”. Use your current phono pre for now, upgrading as funds allow. You’ll enjoy the Shindo preamp and can always upgrade if you feel the need. You may never feel the need. If you upgrade, you’ll learn from the experience.

I agree that the Shindo MM phono stages are excellent. I use my Shindo Monbrison line/phono preamp with a MC cart and SUT into the MM input. With rare exception, I’ve much preferred using a SUT into the MM input of any phonostage (not just the Shindo) compared to a MC input that doesn’t have a SUT. More dynamic, propulsive and musically engaging with a SUT.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:02 PM
Green Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Yes but take care. Shindo preamps with a MC stage are made specially for the Shindo SPU.
Not so good with other carts or non Shindo SPU.

Of course the Shindo MC is just the same as the MM input + internal SUT which is optimized for the SPU.

If you want to use a variety of carts with a tube phono the best is to get a range of SUTs for optimized use with each cartridge.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by restock View Post
Of course the Shindo MC is just the same as the MM input + internal SUT which is optimized for the SPU.

If you want to use a variety of carts with a tube phono the best is to get a range of SUTs for optimized use with each cartridge.

+1 !
Old 04-25-2020, 08:47 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by restock View Post

I am not looking to use a bunch of cartridges, but I would like to have some flexibility that the this phono stage provides. In this hobby there is a good chance we will upgrade or change carts.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:50 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dth31 View Post
Don’t think of your decision as a “destination”, but instead as a “journey”. Use your current phono pre for now, upgrading as funds allow. You’ll enjoy the Shindo preamp and can always upgrade if you feel the need. You may never feel the need. If you upgrade, you’ll learn from the experience.

I agree that the Shindo MM phono stages are excellent. I use my Shindo Monbrison line/phono preamp with a MC cart and SUT into the MM input. With rare exception, I’ve much preferred using a SUT into the MM input of any phonostage (not just the Shindo) compared to a MC input that doesn’t have a SUT. More dynamic, propulsive and musically engaging with a SUT.
Thanks, all good info. This is the Shindo path that I envision that would provide a smoother transition.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:49 PM
Retired

K&K Audio offers some excellent SUTs (using Lundahl transformers). One can plug in various load resistors to match the best load for their cartridge. Mine has load resistors that allow for either 20 or 150 ohm load, though it is simple to plug in other value resistors to change the load the cartridge sees. They also have a selectable gain. Mine, with the Lundahl LL1931 transformers, can be selected for either 8x or 16x gain.
Here is a decent article from K&K's website that explains a fair bit about SUTs and cartridge load matching.
http://www.kandkaudio.com/applications-guide/
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-28-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
K&K Audio offers some excellent SUTs (using Lundahl transformers). One can plug in various load resistors to match the best load for their cartridge. Mine has load resistors that allow for either 20 or 150 ohm load, though it is simple to plug in other value resistors to change the load the cartridge sees. They also have a selectable gain. Mine, with the Lundahl LL1931 transformers, can be selected for either 8x or 16x gain.
Here is a decent article from K&K's website that explains a fair bit about SUTs and cartridge load matching.
http://www.kandkaudio.com/applications-guide/

Very interesting ! Thank you !
Old 05-07-2020, 11:05 PM
Retired

De rien, Jerome.

You (and all Shindo users) may find this column by your fellow Shindo user, Art Dudley (may he RIP). https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-148 In it, he references a set of the K&K SUT transformers (likely the 9226 or their predecessor - based on the age of same) that were installed in his Shindo preamp. In the column he has a link to an earlier column where he discusses his particular Shindo preamp. I have not read, but it could have additional info on the K&K SUTs that are installed in same.
Enjoy!!
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 05-07-2020 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
De rien, Jerome.

You (and all Shindo users) may find this column by your fellow Shindo user, Art Dudley (may he RIP). https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-148 In it, he references a set of the K&K SUT transformers (likely the 9226 or their predecessor - based on the age of same) that were installed in his Shindo preamp. In the column he has a link to an earlier column where he discusses his particular Shindo preamp. I have not read, but it could have additional info on the K&K SUTs that are installed in same.
Enjoy!!

Thanks a lot !!
Old 03-27-2021, 12:27 PM

Hello,
Can someone tell the sonic differences between the Cotton Charlemagne 80 and the Q?
I would like to try one of the two as an alternative amp for my Cortese F2a 8-9W single ended and with a Giscours.
Can you give some advice about these “stronger” Shindo amps?
Thanks a lot