AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc

MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc Ultra High End Equipment

Old 08-14-2011, 12:54 PM

Another review of the Q3 is in the current issue of Hi Fi News. Highly, highly regarded.

I wasn't overly impressed with the Q5 set-up compared to some other speakers at last years RMAF but it was till very good. Every aluminum speaker I have listened to YG, Krell, Magico has been top notch.

im
Old 08-14-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1eng View Post
After about 2 years of auditioning many high end speakers I bought the Goldmund Epilog 1 speakers and added a pair of Epilog 2s as soon as they were available. They were comfortably the best I heard. I have still not heard any better (I haven't heard Magico's).

The speakers are still in great voice after over a decade. I am surprised it took so long for another maker to make such rigid cabinets, there have been a few metal enclosures but none, until the Magico, so solid.

Any sound radiated by the huge area of the speaker cabinet must be making it inaccurate, though I guess can be tuned to be pleasant. I have always been astonished when people market speakers which deliberately radiate a lot of sound from the cabinet. We hear about it being like a musical instrument! I want to -reproduce- the instrument not play through it! It may be a harmonious addition to a piano or cello recording rather than be high fidelity, but it would be all wrong with a trumpet. Not many trumpets have wooden sound-boards...
Just IMHO.
f1eng...welcome to AA
Old 08-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Member #1000

I heard the Q5s at my local dealer, I have to say they are the best sounding speakers I have heard. They have amazing detail and a smooth musical sound with no harshness. The bass is amazing in it's detail without being overpowering, some may want more bass but it's just right for me.

My dealer is getting in the Q3s soon. I'm looking forward to seeing how close the Q3s sound is to the Q5s.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1eng View Post
After about 2 years of auditioning many high end speakers I bought the Goldmund Epilog 1 speakers and added a pair of Epilog 2s as soon as they were available. They were comfortably the best I heard. I have still not heard any better (I haven't heard Magico's).

The speakers are still in great voice after over a decade. I am surprised it took so long for another maker to make such rigid cabinets, there have been a few metal enclosures but none, until the Magico, so solid.
Goldmund is often on the leading edge without making serious noise about it. They were casting stone loaded acrylics for speaker cabinets in the early 80's.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:01 AM

Just curious, how can Magico's metal cabinet be so much more solid than YG's metal cabinet?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepub
Just curious, how can Magico's metal cabinet be so much more solid than YG's metal cabinet?
YG's website is a bit vague on the detail of the construction, being more marketing-speak than engineering. Their enclosures may match the Goldmund or Magico solutions but I have not seen data showing it.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:57 PM

From what I understand, the magico cabinet is a TENSIONED aluminum cabinet. It is screwed together under tension and the drivers are sandwiched between 2 aluminum sheets. If you blow a driver, it needs to go back to the factory.

There are other companies out there making great cabinets, and cabinets are only one part of the equation. Look at some of the reviews on the Rockport cabinet construction and you'll see there's more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:10 AM

I attended a Demo of the Q3 here in Michigan Saturday. I attended with a good friend that worked in the industry years ago. We both left puzzled with the Q3. The bass wasn't good and the top end sounded veiled. Some instruments like a bass guitar didn't sound like the instrument. We talked to several others that attended and they felt the same way. some felt the system sounded very flat. I'm not sure if there was a problem with the setup, the room or the synergy of the system but they sure didn't live up to the hype.

2CH: D’Agostino Momentum's, Audio Research REF40, Wilson Alexia's, SME 30/2, ARC REF2 SE, Meridian 808V5, Transparent REF XL

HT: B&W 800Ds, HTM1D, B&W 802N, (2) Mc 601's MC 303, (2) JL F113s, Meridian 861V8, Sony VPL-VW500ES 4K projector, 120" Stewart SST 130, Oppo 93, 65 inch Panasonic.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT-10 Viper View Post
I attended a Demo of the Q3 here in Michigan Saturday. I attended with a good friend that worked in the industry years ago. We both left puzzled with the Q3. The bass wasn't good and the top end sounded veiled. Some instruments like a bass guitar didn't sound like the instrument. We talked to several others that attended and they felt the same way. some felt the system sounded very flat. I'm not sure if there was a problem with the setup, the room or the synergy of the system but they sure didn't live up to the hype.

What kind of associated gear?
Old 09-26-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
What kind of associated gear?
They were using MSB audio Platinum Mono 202 Amplifiers (VP from Magico said they were excellent), and Diamond Platinum DAC IV with their CD player. Not sure of the cable brand, however the dealer carries Nordost (though I know it wasn't Nordost).

2CH: D’Agostino Momentum's, Audio Research REF40, Wilson Alexia's, SME 30/2, ARC REF2 SE, Meridian 808V5, Transparent REF XL

HT: B&W 800Ds, HTM1D, B&W 802N, (2) Mc 601's MC 303, (2) JL F113s, Meridian 861V8, Sony VPL-VW500ES 4K projector, 120" Stewart SST 130, Oppo 93, 65 inch Panasonic.