AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 11-02-2013, 12:52 AM

Default CT5 versus ET5?

As anyone heard/owned these preamps? I'd be interested in learning what the substantive differences are. The CT5 is a mighty fine preamplifier. Is the ET5 an evolutionary or revolutionary step forward? I have read Jeff Dorgay's review but I was hoping for additional opinions from those who have had the chance to hear for themselves.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:02 AM
Cool, calm scientist

I haven't heard an ET-5, but my guess is that it's an evolutionary rather than revolutionary preamp.

I agree the CT-5 is a mighty fine preamp...I am listening to mine as I write this, actually. Plus it's a lot prettier than the ET-5, too. it sure looks nice paired with the LP70S, which shares the same curved vestibule front panel design. It would look even nicer paired with a set of LP275M monoblocks, though!

It is better to look good that to feel good...

Speaking of Premier 350s, how is the monster amp working out?
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 11-02-2013 at 02:05 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:56 AM

Ah, the big questions in life.

Yes, some are convinced that the ET5 is better. I am convinced that ET5 and CT5 sound different. When I tried the ET5 in my system I was running the CT5 with a CA200. I think I had the Vivids then but the Naim DAC was without an external power supply and I was yet to work out some important optimisations.

I thought the ET5 sounded more hifi but I thought the CT5 did better in the all important midrange. I felt ET5 lacked weight, recordings sounded more like just recordings to me, less real. Maybe it was more detailed, but it didn't feel like an upgrade, just different.

Since that time I have swapped to the LP 70s, the Naim DAC has become a formidable source with XPS2 power supply, optimised grounding settings and I learnt to leave it on 24/7 for better sound. Then there is the CT5 transformation that I reported in another thread ( I understand faulty diodes were replaced with better quality ones because the repair guy had them available. it wasn't supposed to change the sound, I'm told my dealer believes it shouldn't sound better, but it's made my CT5 more transparent, better in the bass/ dynamics, more depth separation, more expressive vocals and instruments, particularly acoustic ones, it's just a better sounding pre amp. even weeks later I am finding old recordings that sound easily better than before)

Lessons I have taken from this experience.
- my pre amp comparison might have been compromised by limitations due my DAC, which was good but is now extremely good, but that is the case with any comparison - any component is only as good as the other gear allows it to be. Know your systems bottleneck.
- the CT5 is a great preamp, but mine at least could be improved significantly That is mot to say that the diodes were out of spec before one failed.

I agree with Puma, the CT5 pairs beautifully with the LP70s, mine is also sounding excellent. I am completely happy with the system.

Last edited by Briz Vegaas; 11-03-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briz Vegaas View Post

( I understand faulty diodes were replaced with better quality ones because the repair guy had them available. it wasn't supposed to change the sound, I'm told my dealer believes it shouldn't sound better, but it's made my CT5 more transparent, better in the bass/ dynamics, more depth separation, more expressive vocals and instruments, particularly acoustic ones, it's just a better sounding pre amp. even weeks later I am finding old recordings that sound easily better than before)
Diodes in the power-supply regulator have a huge impact on sound. You can certainly do better than the stock diodes CJ uses (faster and less noisy) although they come at a hefty price.
I can clearly see how a change in the power-supply diodes made a difference.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:04 AM

Thanks guys! I definitely do not want a more "hi fi" sound. I outgrew that when I shed my D-200 ARC (a truly rare and dreadful misstep on ARC's part) and quit running my DAC directly into my amps. Musicality is everything to me at this stage of my journey. I also agree about the ET5's appearance...but I'd buy a wooden board with parts on it if it sounded awesome. ;-). I've always liked the 6922 tube and I've heard some single-tube preamps that had some magic. I guess the only real way to judge this is to hear both amps fully broken in the same system. Can't afford to do that myself right now. Stephen, the 350 continues to rule! Thanks again for making that possible.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:57 AM

Having owned a CJ Premier 17LS a CT-5 and an ET-5 I would choose the ET-5 hands down! I think it has an warm liquid midrange that is not bloated or heavy but in my opinion almost perfect. I think that the 17 is slow and bloated compared to the newer CJ preamps it sounds very warm and inviting but tends to be short on detail and Rhythm.
The CT-5 sounds the most sterile of the lot in my opinion and I think a lot of that sonic signature comes from the use of the 6N30P tube as opposed to the 6922 tube in the ET-5. I have not been a fan of Preamps using the 6N30P tube and I think CJ learned that lesson with the ACT series and CT-5. They went back to the 6922 tubes for the ET-5 and the GAT.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:02 AM

I agree. Even I do not like the pre with the 6N30. But if the Premier 17LS good valves are mounted (for example, the Philips E88CC SQ) is an excellent pre.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repman View Post
Having owned a CJ Premier 17LS a CT-5 and an ET-5 I would choose the ET-5 hands down! I think it has an warm liquid midrange that is not bloated or heavy but in my opinion almost perfect. I think that the 17 is slow and bloated compared to the newer CJ preamps it sounds very warm and inviting but tends to be short on detail and Rhythm.
The CT-5 sounds the most sterile of the lot in my opinion and I think a lot of that sonic signature comes from the use of the 6N30P tube as opposed to the 6922 tube in the ET-5. I have not been a fan of Preamps using the 6N30P tube and I think CJ learned that lesson with the ACT series and CT-5. They went back to the 6922 tubes for the ET-5 and the GAT.
+1
Old 11-04-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldinohiend View Post
I agree. Even I do not like the pre with the 6N30. But if the Premier 17LS good valves are mounted (for example, the Philips E88CC SQ) is an excellent pre.
I agree that the 17LS is a great sounding Pre I was just saying it has more of the older CJ sound ( leaning to the romantic sound warm and full) compared to the newer CJ lineup
Old 11-04-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briz Vegaas View Post
Ah, the big questions in life. Yes, some are convinced that the ET5 is better. I am convinced that ET5 and CT5 sound different. When I tried the ET5 in my system I was running the CT5 with a CA200. I think I had the Vivids then but the Naim DAC was without an external power supply and I was yet to work out some important optimisations. I thought the ET5 sounded more hifi but I thought the CT5 did better in the all important midrange. I felt ET5 lacked weight, recordings sounded more like just recordings to me, less real. Maybe it was more detailed, but it didn't feel like an upgrade, just different. Since that time I have swapped to the LP 70s, the Naim DAC has become a formidable source with XPS2 power supply, optimised grounding settings and I learnt to leave it on 24/7 for better sound. Then there is the CT5 transformation that I reported in another thread ( I understand faulty diodes were replaced with better quality ones because the repair guy had them available. it wasn't supposed to change the sound, I'm told my dealer believes it shouldn't sound better, but it's made my CT5 more transparent, better in the bass/ dynamics, more depth separation, more expressive vocals and instruments, particularly acoustic ones, it's just a better sounding pre amp. even weeks later I am finding old recordings that sound easily better than before) Lessons I have taken from this experience. - my pre amp comparison might have been compromised by limitations due my DAC, which was good but is now extremely good, but that is the case with any comparison - any component is only as good as the other gear allows it to be. Know your systems bottleneck. - the CT5 is a great preamp, but mine at least could be improved significantly That is mot to say that the diodes were out of spec before one failed. I agree with Puma, the CT5 pairs beautifully with the LP70s, mine is also sounding excellent. I am completely happy with the system.
Briz, I appreciate you sharing your experience. It helps. Do you know how many hours were on the ET5 you auditioned? How long did you get to keep it?