AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Events & Demos

Events & Demos Manufacturer & Dealer Sponsored Events

Old 07-31-2011, 08:09 PM

Thanks guys. I was surprised that most rooms sounded pretty decent. Took me the whole day from 10am to 6pm to trawl through the show. I skipped most of the rooms doing video too. Had to rush to the airport about an hours drive away to catch the flight back home.

I was impressed by the German Physicks demo. Especially the bigger ones. Very dynamic & coherent. Imaging was surprisingly good. I'd never heard an omni prior to this & this changed my perception.

Also Jo Ki's room with the LS3/5A + AB1 combo was impressive as always. As mentioned in the Bryston thread, he is a guest exhibitor & his setup is not for sale.

I bought a pair of the small Harbeths after listening to them at this show. Unfortunately, I could not get a decent photo of them in action.

Also kind of pleased & dreading the fact that the ref150 sounded pretty good even with Kenny G playing. Didn't want the boss to demo my materials for the fear that I might commit...

Wasn't so impressed by the Ktema demo though. Thought they should sound much better given the price tag.

The Clearaudio setup was in a big rig from one of the big local audio chain.

Also liked the STAX 007 enough to put some down payment for the earphone + amp combo.

Regards,
Joe Ling

Source 2 - Avid Acutus SP reference + Thales Reference tone arm + Benz Micro LPS (DS Audio Master 1 broken tip repaired but cost me USD2k. Still having issues - channel imbalance - back to dealer. However, channel issues not withstanding, sounded very very nice. Need to get it back soonest)

Source 3 - DCS Vivaldi + Antelope reference clock or Cybershaft Op18 (not floating my boat so far)

Source 5 - ROON ROCK with Aurender W20 as NAS & 2 units of SOTM switch with 10M input (the new frontier but still cannot beat CD for now) - ROON endpoint - Vivaldi upsampler

Amplification - Naim Statement

Speakers - ProAc Carbon 8 + JL FM113 x2 (replacement purchased - Stella Utopia EVO but due to lockdown, could be a year's wait)

Purepower 2000 x 2 (&$@#% but
sounds nice)

Shunyata Denali X 2
Old 07-31-2011, 09:50 PM

Great Photos Joe!

The Hong Kong Show is this coming Friday/sat/sun. Gonna have very tired feet this weekend.

I was going to ask you about the ktema demo as that to me should have sounded wonderful being pushed by the Orpheus stuff. Sorry to hear the sound was not up to par. I have heard the Ktemas sing and I would rank it up there with the best.

howie