AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 03-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveneumann View Post
Hi Philip and welcome.

I can't help you with your specific question about the Krells, although Martim Colloms at Hi Fi Critic used a Krell 402 when he reviewed the Sashas and raved about them. Hi Fi Critic does not take advertising, so I tend to trust their reviews over others.

Based on my research I went with Lamm M1.2 Reference amps for my Sashas. My listening room is quite large at 20 X 36 X 9 and the Lamms never run out of power, although they are masters of finesse at low level listening as well. You can do a search of some of PC1 and my threads to get our listening impressions of the combination.

If you can work an audition locally, I would highly recommend it before you make your final purchase of the Krells. Ultimately you might like the Krells but when spending that kind of money it's good to explore options by listening in your system, so that you know you have made the right decision for you.
daveneumann,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Totally agree with you on the need to audition locally. In fact that is why I've not made the purchase of the Krells yet these many months since selling my Classé Omega Omicron Monoblocks, as I have been trying to get auditions with the Sashas and various other amps.

I do definitely believe in demoing before I purchase any equipment, and I have yet never bought any equipment that I have not had the chance to demo within my system. Which is why on one hand I have listened to the Krell 600e's with the Sashas (as well as various other amps that I mentioned earlier), and I liked the apparent synergy/sound that they produced. However, on the other hand, the Lamm M 1.2 Reference Amps are indeed a compelling proposition largely because of the impressions of Serge (PH1), yourself as well as others that have reviewed/commented on them. The problem is, I have no way to audition them due to the fact that the local dealer here in Hong Kong refuses to either let me home demo the Lamms, or lug the Lamms up a couple of floors (via elevator) to the Wilson Audio dealer who is in the same building (quite a few dealers have permitted me to do this with their amps already). In fact the Lamm dealer use to be the HK Wilson Audio dealer many years back, and I believe the split with Wilson was not on the most friendly terms, thus I can understand their reaction. I've even looked out for 2nd hand Lamms in the HK market these past few months so I could try to demo them, but to no avail, because to be honest, Lamms are not that popular in HK, as there re-sale value is terribly low, and HK audiophiles tend to go with equipment that retain decent re-sale value.

I've even toyed with the idea of buying a 2nd hand Lamm M 1.2 if a pair comes on the market for a very reasonable price, just so I can demo them in my system. However, nothing has turned up in HK, and I even have kept an eye out in Singapore, as I have family there and thus travel there a lot, but no luck there as well.

So I either go with the Krell 600e's which I've heard, or I go with the Lamm M 1.2's which I haven't heard, but they come highly recommended by AA members like yourself as well as others.

Tough choice!

I've actually been stuck in this never-ending loop these past few months, but am teetering towards the Krell 600e's just because I've listened to them. To make matters worse, the "once-in-a-lifetime" offer to get the Krell Evo One's came along recently, and that just made things more interesting. Although I haven't listened to them, I have to believe that they are similar in overall sonic characteristics/dynamics as the 600e's. The Lamm sound coupled with the Sashas is a total unknown for me, and I just wish there's a way to listen to this combo (along with the Ayre KX-R, Ayre QB-9 and Transparent cabling of course)

I did read Martim Colloms' review of the Krell 402e, and yes he certainly did rave about it, which coming from him is a big deal. He certainly doesn't mince words, and certainly doesn't spin to the nth degree like many other a reviewer.

In a nutshell, I'm neither here nor there in my final decision, and that is why I hope that AA folks can provide me with some of their respective thoughts on this topic.

Last edited by psjl; 03-24-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:25 PM

Philip - just FYI, I bought Lamm 1.2R based on all the internet hype and some CES auditioning, and after bringing them home ... I quickly sold them. They just didn't do it for me. At the time I have had BAT 150SE moos and some SET amps, and those amps were much better in all important midrange for me.

Just a thing to consider when buying stuff you cannot try.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellindo View Post
Dear psjl,

I realize you want a KRELL!
And I know HKG a bit (having visited your city a dozen of times). So, you can find any brand out there.

I would encourage you to audition the class-A PASS (like a pair of XA160.5) or the big VIOLA monoblocks. I own myself a pair of CELLO ENCORE 150 (designed by Paul Jayson in his Cello times, and now the boss of VIOLA comapny) with SASHA.

VIOLA / CELLO are very good for low level listening with details and density, like you describe it.
The right cables also play a significant role in these conditions. ;-)
Cellindo,

Thanks for the recommendation, and yes, one can find any brand here. The only problem is that one seldom gets the chance to bring together and demo different brands as far as new equipment dealers are concerned, as they usually carry only 2-3 brands of amplifiers at most. However, 2nd hand dealers (like the one in Grandcastle Commercial Centre in Mongkok) can sometimes have the exact system combo that one is looking for, but that's not always the case, plus there demo room acoustics are terrible.

Interesting that you mentioned Viola Monoblocks, I'll see if I can get a demo going. As for Pass Labs XA's, they're not quite my cup of tea, but appreciate your recommendation nonetheless.

Once again, thanks for your advice.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippyy View Post
Philip,
I really liked the sound of the EC AW 400 monoblocks with the Sashas...they also played very cool...
I went with the MXR's primarily based on size limitations....they fit in my cabinet...
Hope that helps...
The form factor of the Ayre MX-R is really nice, and it is a very musical combo when played in conjunction with the Ayre KX-R pre-amp......I just wish Charles Hansen would come out with a "beefier" version of the MX-R's, and then I'm really sold on the MX-R's! I think my music tastes have a lot to do with this, as electronica/trip-hop/deep beat/downtempo music just wasn't crisp and punchy enough for me on the MX-R's.....it could do with a little more grip/control.

Actually, for the longest time, I was looking for reasons to get the MX-R's, but in the end, the Krell 600e's just did it for me.

I've never tried the EC AW 400 monoblocks, but there already have been several recommendations, so it might be worth a listen. Will see if a demo can be set up.

Many thanks for your advice.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
Philip - just FYI, I bought Lamm 1.2R based on all the internet hype and some CES auditioning, and after bringing them home ... I quickly sold them. They just didn't do it for me. At the time I have had BAT 150SE moos and some SET amps, and those amps were much better in all important midrange for me.

Just a thing to consider when buying stuff you cannot try.

Elberoth,

You've brought up a key thing that thus far has factored in all my buying decisions thus far, that is, I need to to hear it with my own ears.

Although I'm not the best at articulating myself as an audiophile, however, at the end of the day, I do trust my ears to tell me if the equipment is right for me in terms of my listening/music tastes.

So many things influence the way in which an individual perceives/understands their respective music listening experience - from music genre, equipment combos, room acoustics, and even the mood of the individual as well, among others.

I wonder if there are any AA members that have had experiences with/owned the Krell Evo One monoblocks.

Anyway, I really appreciate you sharing your experience with the Lamm M 1.2's.

Last edited by psjl; 04-05-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:33 PM

A pair of the new Modwright KWA150SE would make your Sashas sing.

See: ModWright

Have you read the Sasha review on sixmoons?

6moons audio reviews: Wilson Audio Sasha
Old 03-10-2011, 06:44 PM

I would try posting this question on AudiogoN forum if I were you. You need to find someone who actually had a chance to compare Krell evo 600e and Model One monos, not necesarly on Wilson speakers.

By posting it on Wilson Audio forum only, you limit the number of ppl that may have heard them.

You may also try to call Krell in the US to get some help. I would also try calling Pinewood music in the UK for example - they are one of the most experienced Krell dealers, and since you are not from the UK thay may give an honest advice, not thinking about a prospect sale. That is what I would do anyway.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:26 PM

ARC Ref 210's!

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:19 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Philip,
My personal preference with any Wilson speakers is a high quality tube amp. I've got WP7s now and the Sashas are on the way. But I must admit I've only heard them with Ayre and Boulder monos. As was said in an earlier post, they do seem to take the sound of the amp, that may be your best reference. I guess the search is the fun and you've certainly done that. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:39 PM

2 issues from me.
1. I've heard many time that Krell will not be at there best without CAST cabling. Mixing up with other brand using XLR cable will drop its performance somehow.
2. Your Transparent Ref XL have been calibrated to matched Classe' right ? Do you have to send them back to factory to have it recalibrated to match new amp ?

Good luck

Last edited by TOGA; 03-15-2011 at 01:42 PM.