AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:30 PM

Default Comparing digital files/sources to each other and to vinyl...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno2009 View Post
...first impressions - it‘s pretty good... kinda like finding out the world is actually not flat… got to let it sink in 4 a while ✌️[emoji23]

Remember that there probably many folks lurking on this thread who have been tempted to go streaming, but have yet to take the steps you chose to take. Your findings will likely entice others to explore the dark side! [emoji3]
Old 06-30-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
Compression also helps if streaming a file via Wi-Fi in that the smaller file uses less bandwidth and does not tax your Wi-Fi as much.
With Roon it won’t matter, it unpacks the PCM from the Flac container at the server and sends the full PCM to RAAT endpoints. Having the file store accessed via wifi could cause issues playing music and scanning at the same time.

Last edited by Dr Tone; 06-30-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:53 AM

... well - I did some excessive comparing this morning - and if I`m completely honest (also to myself) I have to admit - I find NO difference. Any potential differences I thought I cold make out were eliminated by my wife... who had to sit through some sessions as I have a tendency to "hear what I like to hear" :-))

So - neither does the ripped file sound dramatically better, as suggested by some due to the advantage of the process of reading out a file with no realtime error correction, nor was the orignial CD via my CD-Transport (and YES - I really wanted to find it better) any better.

I also found it interesting that in logical consequence the Moon CDT and the Auralic sounded very close (not to say equal) - thus also making the difference between the hardware minimal.

I have decided to now fully go down that road - ANALOG/Vinyl for physical media and the love of collecting and spinning music, ripping existing CDs to lossless FLACC + Tidal subscription and Roon/Liftetime for digital.

Thanx for all the input from this forum guys - it helped find the way :-)
Old 07-01-2018, 07:18 AM

Does anyone have a recommendation for a service to rip CDs? I had some of mine done via a service and the quality was not good. That said, I’ d rather have someone else do it than me if it’s a reasonable price and good quality.

This is all without a statement as to which is better, etc. I’d just like a back up, other than tidal etc, for my CDs. For some reason, the same doesn’t apply for vinyl for me - happy with those being the only copy.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation for a service to rip CDs? I had some of mine done via a service and the quality was not good. That said, I’ d rather have someone else do it than me if it’s a reasonable price and good quality.

This is all without a statement as to which is better, etc. I’d just like a back up, other than tidal etc, for my CDs. For some reason, the same doesn’t apply for vinyl for me - happy with those being the only copy.

Check out murfie.com
Old 07-01-2018, 12:28 PM

Depending on the pressing or version. Vinyl is the best sounding in my system There is just more depth. Then CD is next and also quite good. Digital files (I have all my CDs ripped to my NAS) are third. But there are things that need to be taken into consideration. The DAC in my CD7 is better than the DAC8. Then there is the computer which is a laptop. I believe the sound would be much closer with a dedicated music streamer.

I mostly listen to either vinyl or CD, about an equal mix. I don't listen to music files much anymore. I have found that having the laptop around when I am listening is just a huge distraction. I end up doing stuff and not listening to music.

AS for Tidal, I don't use it. MY ARC dealer has it and whenever I want to hear something, half the time the album I want to hear is not available on tidal. I have found that I have a far better collection of music I want to listen to. But then I have been collecting music sine the early 1980's.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:18 AM

Finally convinced - there is really no difference between the ripped and the original.

I have ripped the first 100 CDs and there`s 1.400 more to go - there`s work to be done ;-)

Only issue I`m having - from the ripped CDs there`s always the first second missing (seems to be a problem of the Aries and/or Lightning DS App though, because when played via VLC on the Mac it`s all there... strange).

Anyways - really impressed by the SQ of the ripped music and the convenience is something I truly underestimated - for example I have so many B-sides on some singles which I did`nt even know were there - I now just put together my own little Album with "unreleased and b-side material"... I just never threw in the CD to play that "one unreleased track" anymore - now I play them via iPad and rediscover lots of the music I own but forgot about...

Great fun !!!
Old 07-03-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Only issue I`m having - from the ripped CDs there`s always the first second missing (seems to be a problem of the Aries and/or Lightning DS App though, because when played via VLC on the Mac it`s all there... strange).
Are you using Aries -> USB to the C52? Try AES or Coax instead and see if the first second missing goes away.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tone View Post
Are you using Aries -> USB to the C52? Try AES or Coax instead and see if the first second missing goes away.

Yes - I‘m using the USB port. From what I understand the Aries LE only has the Femto Clock working for the USB output... one reason why I am considering the change to the Aries Femto - which has two Femto Clocks for USB and Coax/digital... will give it a try though... thanx for the advice...
Old 07-03-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Yes - I‘m using the USB port. From what I understand the Aries LE only has the Femto Clock working for the USB output... one reason why I am considering the change to the Aries Femto - which has two Femto Clocks for USB and Coax/digital... will give it a try though... thanx for the advice...
It's a USB/DAC issue with the McIntosh. McIntosh doesn't know how to fix the popping noise on sample rate change in their USB implementation so they just silence or fade in the first second of playback.

You won't have the issue with the Lumin you are going to try or the Yggdrasil if you decide to go that route.