AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 11-01-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Not really, if you feel comfortable with a purchase this large from a dealer, it would be nice for other forum members to know in case others are interested in making a purchase such as this knowing that the dealer can be trusted to take care of you now and in the future. I think it would be very helpful.

- Buck
Well, let me get the thing installed first. Then I can reply by private email if anybody sends me one. I will want to post pics and do some listening and commenting. Then I will be happy to steer business their way but not before. They are truly a superb dealer. I can understand your interest and that I am sounding maybe a little secretive.

p.s. Since I have been on this website I can't remember specific dealerships ever being mentioned. I don't even know if it is a rules violation to do so. So Ivan would have to comment. I'm not sure it's wise to advertise and this could be construed as such.

Last edited by Charles; 11-01-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piolaxo View Post
Big congratulations. That is going to be an epic update. It must be a hugely satisfying
moment to get this rolling. It's going to be some exciting weeks. Do you get to see
how your speakers will be built?
I don't think so. I think the satisfaction will come later, hopefully. Right now I'm relieved that the xvx will fit.

I hope I don't have to eat humble pie. My financial adviser could tell me, "Charles you can do what you want with your money, but this is reckless, and I don't advise it." My dealer is aware. In that case, deal is off. I don't think this will be the case but just as I didn't know before the final measurements, I won't know before I get the ok. I have never been a reckless or irresponsible person. I can stop this process anytime before the check is passed. I think you can see just how complex this venture is. It has many moving parts and Apexorca is absolutely correct, unforeseeable things can arise to place the whole venture in jeopardy.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:38 PM
Go Dawgs

I’m a bit confused.....you wrote a check to your dealer for a pair but would cancel the check on them if your financial advisor says no to the purchase?? Did I read this right?

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 11-01-2019, 02:55 PM

My financial advisor has a standing statement that every penny spent on audio is mis-guided and ill-advised. For whatever reason, I do it anyway (note that he says the same thing about bikes, skiing, fishing, etc and I continue to do those things also).
Old 11-01-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
My financial advisor has a standing statement that every penny spent on audio is mis-guided and ill-advised. For whatever reason, I do it anyway (note that he says the same thing about bikes, skiing, fishing, etc and I continue to do those things also).

Maybe time to get a new financial advisor. My wife’s family are undertakers and as far as they know they don’t make caskets with pockets in them. But anything is available on special order.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 11-01-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
I’m a bit confused.....you wrote a check to your dealer for a pair but would cancel the check on them if your financial advisor says no to the purchase?? Did I read this right?

- Buck
I should have said firm deal price wise struck. No check has been passed. As I said I was checking out at Walmart self checkout when it all went down. In mind I "purchased" my xvx at that moment. I will always remember that moment when a firm irrevocable price was agreed to. I couldn't believe it, I was so happy. It was a major achievement to get out of Walmart with my groceries and my credit card. I couldn't feel my feet for awhile. So what I said was a bit premature but the confidence in the purchase has increased to 99%. So I'm not going to have to eat humble pie, but if I had to, I have done it before. Doesn't taste too bad.

I am so happy that my adviser has given me the unconditional go ahead. I really thought he would. But you never know. That's why I said I purchased an xvx, because I thought I could easily afford it and I thought my measurements were conservative. Both turned out to be correct. The owner has to hear back from Wilson about his measurements of my room and the true height of the xvx built to my ears. That's the 1%, Apexorca take note.

Last edited by Charles; 11-01-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
I recently had my holdings evaluated by an independent firm, not by my adviser. I was told I had more money than I could ever spend. I immediately had the thought, that he never heard of high end audio. No pun intended. I never have thought of myself as wealthy or very smart. I'm the anxious sort low in self confidence although I suppose I have looking back on it accomplished quite a lot. I look back on all the things I've done and wonder, "Did I really do all this?" It's really crazy but I have these types of thoughts all the time. If I actually achieve an xvx I'll have the thought, "How did I do this?" Nobody can afford this speaker. The price is quite absurd and yet quite reasonable in a way, but I truly am now believing I will attain to one. Incredible!

I remember as a little boy looking in rapture at my dad's first hi-fi setting on our dinning room table: Warfdale bookshelf sand filled speakers, Allied tube Knight 20 watt per/ch integrated, Callero record player and Pickering cartridge. First record was South Pacific. The sound was amazing. I was hooked. Now my career in high end is over. It effectively ended at the grocery scanner in Walmart. I began with Warfdale bookshelf speakers and ended with a Wilson xvx in my mancave. What a story and what an ending!

Last edited by Charles; 11-01-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:22 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I was told I had more money than I could ever spend.
Charles - With all due respect, you’re telling us that you were not aware of this before someone had to tell you?

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 11-01-2019, 11:43 PM

Congratulations on an incredible speaker purchase Charles, I’m sure you’ll be very happy.

By the way, since you now know you have more money than you can ever spend, could I please have a pair of Sonus Faber Aidas for Christmas?
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 11-01-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Congratulations on an incredible speaker purchase Charles, I’m sure you’ll be very happy.

By the way, since you now know you have more money than you can ever spend, could I please have a pair of Sonus Faber Aidas for Christmas?
I emphasize the "I" but I'm not making this up. Of course, I didn't and don't believe this. But it is a comfort and this was in regards to my son's inheritance and my estate. I did a lot of crazy things like take out a lot of long term care insurance long ago and also buy a large annuity from a large insurance company years ago at a great interest rate that I will never need. It just keeps piling up interest. Only about 30 of them were ever sold before they were discontinued.

Do you want the Aida 1 or 2. I know Ivan likes the 1's (first edition) better. Your choice. I'll try to get it to you before Christmas