Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Elisabeth-Claude Jacquet de la Guerre - Le Sommeil d'Ulisse
Les Voix Humaines, Christine Payeux
Isabelle Desrochers, soprano
via Qobuz

This is gorgeous music!
There are not so many female baroque composers that were well-known and popular.
She was one of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Élisab...t_de_La_Guerre

Ideal to accompany some preparation work.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-18-2021, 05:56 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Magdalena Kožená - Il giardino dei sospiri
Collegium 1704, Václav Luks
Qobuz 24/96

I am a big Mrs Simon Rattle fan, Kožená simply has a gripping, powerful voice.
Since we saw the ensemble Collegium 1704 live, we're also fans.

Composers like Gasparini, Sarro and Leo were unknown to me, but wrote nice compositions.
Marcello, Vinci, and Händel complete the album.

Great album!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-18-2021, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Ideal to accompany some preparation work.

I love the name Jacquet de la Guerre - Elisabeth War Game.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 01-19-2021, 12:55 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Domenico Gabrielli - La Nascita del Violoncello
Les Basses Réunies, Bruno Cocset

Spinning one of our favourites.
Very well recorded, and fantastically played.

A friend of ours gave us a copy of this marvelous recording . . . and I am playing it now. Wonderful music, and yes, fantastically played.

And to the friend who gave us this fabulous recording . . . THANK YOU BART!!!!

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 01-19-2021, 05:32 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
A friend of ours gave us a copy of this marvelous recording . . . and I am playing it now. Wonderful music, and yes, fantastically played.

And to the friend who gave us this fabulous recording . . . THANK YOU BART!!!!

Dear Julian, I'm glad you didn't sell it on Amazon, when they cost around 3000$!

Good to see you here my friend!
My love to Lane.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:36 PM
Life is beautiful

Jakob Lindberg - Seven Suites of Swedish folk tunes
via Qobuz

Earlier today I played Lindberg again in the practice.
I guess I'm almost through his catalogue now.
Wonderful music for a calm atmosphere.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:48 PM
Life is beautiful

Marin Marais - Premier Livre des Pièces de Viole
François Joubert-Caillet
L'Acheron

Qobuz 24/88.2

He's good! As is his ensemble.

These Pièces de viole by Marin Marais first appeared in five volumes, dated 1686-9, 1701, 1711, 1717 and 1725 respectively. The small world of viol players was in full ferment when he published his first Livre: alongside this tradition of the solo viol there developed a highly original practice of two or three viols playing together. Furthermore, one of the great novelties of this volume is the addition of the continuo. However, the continuo part was not ready when the edition itself was published in 1686. We may therefore imagine that these pieces were also played without continuo, as is also the case with other pieces that still only exist in manuscript and that have no continuo line. We should, however, admit that the continuo adds considerable harmonic and expressive support to these pieces. The continuo part was not printed finally until 1689: ”When I gave the Public my Book of Pièces for one and two Viols, I intended to include the parts for bass continuo, for they are an essential part of it. Given, however, that music engraving is a very time-consuming enterprise, I was obliged to delay their appearance until today. I have figured them completely, so that they may be played on the Harpsichord or the Theorbo, two instruments that go very well with the solo Viol”.This Premier Livre contains 93 pieces grouped by key according to the lute and harpsichord traditions. The pieces were published following the order of the classic French Suite, i.e. Prelude and/or Fantasia, Allemande, Courante, Sarabande and Gigue, followed by the “petites danses”, Minuet, Gavotte, one or two Rondeaux and finally a Passacaglia or Chaconne. François Joubert-Caillet and his colleagues of the ensemble L'Achéron have chosen the instruments for the continuo group according to the moods and emotions of the various suites: the more intimate works use only a theorbo or a guitar, the more flowery works employ a theorbo and a guitar or archlute, while the radiant, virile and many-hued works have been allotted the harpsichord. Given the extreme length of the Suites in D minor, we have divided each of these into two suites so that they can be more easily appreciated. For the same reason, the order of the Suites on this recording does not follow the order of the 93 pieces in the Premier Livre; given that the volume was not compiled with the intention that it be either played or heard in order from start to finish, we have attempted to make the listener’sexperience as comfortable as possible with the use of contrasting colours and instrumentation.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:00 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Direct From Cleveland
Lorin Maazel
The Cleveland Orchestra
A D2D Masterpiece from Telarc via the Discwasher Group back in the day (1977)
Telarc 5020 DD1
Regards,
Jim

Old 01-20-2021, 06:26 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Since this thread is more about new Classical releases than older offerings, I will bow out graciously from further participation in this thread. Enjoy your quest my friends, as I enjoy my collection but do not desire to delve into the subtlety of newer offerings as you do.
Enjoy,
Jim