AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 09-22-2019, 03:30 PM

Default Transport & DAC - Best interface to connect the two

Hi -

I own a McIntosh D1100 and MCT450 transport. The transport is just that - pure transport. It has one of every digital connection on it with the exception of word clock and I2S. It also has a propritery digital DIN cable supporting all sample rates including sending the DSD on an SACD CD to the DAC in pure form. No conversions.

Recently, I dug out a Transparent Premium SPDF cable and hooked it up from the MCT450 to an RCA SPDIF input on the DAC. BNC is also an option. For regular CDs I am finding I prefer this connection over the DIN. However, to listen to SACD the DIN is a requirement.

I have been reading the tread on the Sigma SPDIF cable and was wondering if one wanted to give this a go would you...
  1. Use SPDIF
  2. Use AES
  3. Skip it and just use the DIN

Also does Shunyata ever produce custom one off cables - for instance a replacement for the DIN assuming one could determine the pin outs? Looks like a mini 5-pin DIN.

BTW, is there any more detail on the TAP other than what is on the website?Trying to get a handle on how the tech in the Sigma helps sound quality beyond that of a properly constructed and correctly measuring 75-ohm termination for SPDIF. Legit question as other forums would dismiss cable differences without even a discussion. I for one believe in them - just trying to understand the tech.

Thanks -
Old 09-24-2019, 12:24 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Ghent Cables May be able to help, I heard about him, apprehensive, used him for all my DC cables, excellent!
Old 09-24-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by med_designer View Post
Hi -

I own a McIntosh D1100 and MCT450 transport. The transport is just that - pure transport. It has one of every digital connection on it with the exception of word clock and I2S. It also has a propritery digital DIN cable supporting all sample rates including sending the DSD on an SACD CD to the DAC in pure form. No conversions.

Recently, I dug out a Transparent Premium SPDF cable and hooked it up from the MCT450 to an RCA SPDIF input on the DAC. BNC is also an option. For regular CDs I am finding I prefer this connection over the DIN. However, to listen to SACD the DIN is a requirement.

I have been reading the tread on the Sigma SPDIF cable and was wondering if one wanted to give this a go would you...
  1. Use SPDIF
  2. Use AES
  3. Skip it and just use the DIN

Also does Shunyata ever produce custom one off cables - for instance a replacement for the DIN assuming one could determine the pin outs? Looks like a mini 5-pin DIN.

BTW, is there any more detail on the TAP other than what is on the website?Trying to get a handle on how the tech in the Sigma helps sound quality beyond that of a properly constructed and correctly measuring 75-ohm termination for SPDIF. Legit question as other forums would dismiss cable differences without even a discussion. I for one believe in them - just trying to understand the tech.

Thanks -
Hi,

We don't typically manufacture one-off specialty cables, unfortunately.

Some electronics manufacturers design products to favor one connection or another and recommend that connection to customers so it may be worth asking them. That said, I normally recommend AES because of the connection and contact integrity, but SPDIF is certainly acceptable.

In terms of the TAP tech background, this is published along with other Patent applications of Caelin's at https://patents.justia.com/patent/20180183227

Essentially, the series of equally spaced conductive discs that surround the signal wire break up/diffract EM wave distortions, which leads to better perceived clarity and detail in sound without any cost to frequency balance or tone. The discs do this in a similar fashion to the way polarization in sun glasses break up light distortions. A quick read of the patent app will support the theory of operation.

I have demonstrated this effect at dealers and at shows by bringing TAP modules with me and sliding them over RCA cable ends to perform A/B demonstrations that show clear improvement in resolution - low-level detail becomes more apparent, for example. The degree of difference these make is clearly audible, but the value of say a Sigma pair of IC's and the Alpha model IC's that don't have TAP will depend on the listener and system.

I hope this helps,

Grant
Old 09-24-2019, 10:06 AM
Merry Christmas to all

med designer.......I recently added a Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable between my Aurender N10 music server and an Esoteric K-01X DAC input. I replaced a Wireworld Platinum Starlight digital cable. The improvement in low level detail, sound stage focus, and overall clarity of reproduction across the entire frequency spectrum is impressive.

In a second sound system I added a Shunyata Sigma USB cable between an Aurender N100H music server and a Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC. I replaced a Wireworld Platimun Starlight USB cable. Once again the entire music server performance was elevated. Dynamic range improved, bass grew thicker and more robust, and sound stage focus grew wider and deeper. It was almost like I upgraded a component.

The Shunyata Sigma series cables are serious performers. Although you may want to also include the McIntosh proprietary cable connection between the C1100 preamplifier and the MCD450 transport so that SACD is supported, I am confident you would be very satisfied with a Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable for Redbook CD playback.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 09-25-2019, 11:23 AM

As a general matter, I would go AES > BNC > S/PDIF. BNC is a better choice than S/PDIF as no S/PDIF cable with RCA connectors may be terminated such that it perfectly conforms to the 75-ohm impedance spec like BNC can, though with certain plugs (like Canare RCAP) it can get decently close.

What do you currently prefer about S/PDIF over the DIN connection? DIN is obviously the simplest solution. Have you called McIntosh?

Last edited by zonto; 09-25-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:47 AM

Thanks everyone -

zonto -
SACD is clearly handled by the DIN and works well. However, I tend to feel when using the S/PDIF connection for Red Book the music seems to have the following:
  1. More weight on the bottom
  2. More separation between instruments - very clearly defined boundaries between parts

So right now I use the S/PDIF for CD but could do AES. I do not stream anything. I hate to say it but I am old school and simply like physical media be it CD, SACD or vinyl. I thought I would never return to vinyl but went off the deep end and put together a silly expensive Linn LP12. Depending on mood and music I gravitate to one or the other.

Overall happy with system just tweaking parts of it now. This digital connection and power are the next items to research and invest in over the next year.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:16 PM
Penuriophile

I would give the BNC connection a try for CD listening. I'm with you on the physical media front!