AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 07-01-2013, 06:29 PM

This statement also means that 8 out of 10 new customer are not seasoned/educated audiophiles with have mostly untrained ears. This could mean that the new customers just buy a reputation or a elevated price tag or just follow dealer's & installer's advices.
To my opinion this is good for Wilson Audio's business growth, however not very flattering for the brand image in some ways...
Who are the main and new clients for Magico or Vivid or TAD? True Audiophiles, or guys who want to 'show off' with expensive gear?
Old 07-01-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I have neighbors who had never heard of McIntosh. The world is just made up of people who spend their time in a few little boxes.
McIntosh?

Isn't that a computer?
Old 07-01-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcc View Post
McIntosh?

Isn't that a computer?
Or an apple or a raincoat.

At times when I am talking about my MS-300 and say McItnosh I have to say the server by the audio company not the computer company.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:33 PM

I had not heard of Wilson when I auditioned speakers in 2001. I spent months and went to many high end dealers in New York and New Jersey. The last one I went to was a Wilson dealer. I heard the Watt Puppy 6 (too cavernous and dry I thought) and the Sophia which had just come out. I loved the presentation. Within a month I bought them, years later the Watt Puppy 7s, now Sashas.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 07-01-2013, 11:47 PM

I also had not heard of Wilson audio when I first auditioned speakers. I listened to a few Wilsons and a Revel. After liking what I heard, I then did my diligence. So, I'm not surprised that audiophiles who don't yet recognize they may be audiophiles may not have heard of Wilson.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellindo View Post
This statement also means that 8 out of 10 new customer are not seasoned/educated audiophiles with have mostly untrained ears. This could mean that the new customers just buy a reputation or a elevated price tag or just follow dealer's & installer's advices.
To my opinion this is good for Wilson Audio's business growth, however not very flattering for the brand image in some ways...
Who are the main and new clients for Magico or Vivid or TAD? True Audiophiles, or guys who want to 'show off' with expensive gear?

I would say people that have owned a lot of speakers and know what they want. They have also researched these speakers extensively.

They are true audiophiles and don't care what people think.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I have neighbors who had never heard of McIntosh. The world is just made up of people who spend their time in a few little boxes.
What's your point?

Have you heard of REDGUM Audio?

McIntosh is just another of the higher end mid-fi brands that a lot of folks have really never heard of or seen.

Some of the 'big-boy' brands that a LOT of audiophiles have never heard of or seen: Ayon, Westlake, Lindell, Onedof, Continuum, Horo, Joule Electra, Lamm, Audio Space, Pivetta, Wavac, etc.

Yes, a LOT of folks may live in a few boxes, but those boxes are in better neighborhoods...
Old 07-02-2013, 11:37 AM

Alberto....I think the majority of the market segment are savvy shoppers that buy for form & function. Sure there are the foolish ignoramus' that are impulsive enough to make a superficial status purchase. The dealers love to milk those gentiles.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagaMusic View Post
What's your point?

Have you heard of REDGUM Audio?

McIntosh is just another of the higher end mid-fi brands that a lot of folks have really never heard of or seen.

Some of the 'big-boy' brands that a LOT of audiophiles have never heard of or seen: Ayon, Westlake, Lindell, Onedof, Continuum, Horo, Joule Electra, Lamm, Audio Space, Pivetta, Wavac, etc.

Yes, a LOT of folks may live in a few boxes, but those boxes are in better neighborhoods...
My point was that because we are immersed in this hobby (a little box) we assume that individuals who enjoy music might know the name of McIntosh which is often portrayed and advertised as entry into the high end of audio. Now those within this little box of audio often turn their nose up at McItnosh just as watch connoisseurs turn their nose up at Rolex and auto aficionados turn their nose up at Mercedes . All three products aren't low volume enough to have the cachet of the brands you mention. The are considered toys for Butchers and Bankers.

The little boxes I was referring to contain the varied interests and hobbies that only those within the boxes can relate to or understand the nuance. Some people participate in a few or several while the rest of us have no clue or cannot relate. Some popular "boxes" that are important to many and the rest of the world disregards. Even the boxes are often divided so that subsets have only the basic knowledge of the other subsets. Bowling, hunting, fishing, auto racing (NASCAR, F1, offroad ,track days) , boating (power boat & sailing) , equestrian, dog shows (confirmation & obedience), ballroom dancing, golf (private clubs and public courses), biking, motorcycles, snow sports (downhill, cross country, boarding) snowmobiles............. These boxes are populated by people from every type of neighborhood.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taters View Post
I would say people that have owned a lot of speakers and know what they want. They have also researched these speakers extensively.

They are true audiophiles and don't care what people think.
True audiophiles very rarely buy off the shelf or whats recommended in the mags .....

Regards