AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 07-01-2013, 03:23 PM

Default A statement by Peter McGrath from Wilson audio

"8 out 10 of are new customers have never heard of Wilson speakers until they saw them in a store" I find that statement hard to believe.

He made that statement at the last RMAF show in Denver. It was a panel discussion with Michael fremer, Alan Sircom, Kathy Gornick, Roy Hall and the editor of HI-Fi plus out of England. I can't find the link but I'm sure you can find it if you take the time to look.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:04 PM

It's true for me. But I wasn't involved with the audio hobby that deeply either. I hadn't really subscribed to any magazines or forums at the time.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:11 PM

I have neighbors who had never heard of McIntosh. The world is just made up of people who spend their time in a few little boxes.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:17 PM

taters...it's Peter McGrath of Wilson Audio (just fyi).
Old 07-01-2013, 04:20 PM

It's kinda like any other niche - there are products for the masses and people know about them because they are available in way more markets and for everyone's budget. Like Yamaha and Bose and Onkyo etc. Most everyone knows these brands because they are everywhere.

But not everyone can afford Wilson, so it's not exactly something you would learn about unless immersed in this hobby.

My favorite gun is my Kimber 1911. I had never heard of Kimber until I got more immersed in the gun hobby. I had heard of S&W and Colt and Glock even before I got into the hobby. My first gun was a Glock and as I learned more I became more immersed and wanted to know more, just like with audio.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by taters View Post
"8 out 10 of are new customers have never heard of Wilson speakers until they saw them in a store" I find that statement hard to believe.

He made that statement at the last RMAF show in Denver. It was a panel discussion with Michael fremer, Alan Sircom, Kathy Gornick, Roy Hall and the editor of HI-Fi plus out of England. I can't find the link but I'm sure you can find it if you take the time to look.
That sounds high (8 out of 10 that is) but I have no trouble believing that at least 1/2 the buyers are very wealthy people who walk in an high-end audio salon and ask "Show me your best." Then they let the salesperson put the system together, install it, wire it, etc.

Living in Silicon Valley there are a lot of people that match that profile, and I've seen/heard more than a few such exchanges while loitering around audio store:

Customer walks in: "I hear that records sound better than CDs. That true?"

Salesperson: "I think so."

C: "What's your best record player?"

S: "This one," pointing to an SME 30/2 with V tonearm.

S: "You'll also need an amplifier with a phono stage."

C: "Show me your best."

C: "I'll take them. Can you also help me select 20 or 30 records to go with it? And you will come to my home and set this gizmo up right?"

Sounds strange to us, a crowd where even the mighty Ivan spends hours behind the rack taking care of the cabling, but we are indeed a very small group compared to the target market.

Alberto
Old 07-01-2013, 04:30 PM

My first exposure to hi-fi was in New Orleans back in 1997. I went to a high end audio dealer to purchase kimber cable 4TC for my car audio system to mate with my car audio Butler TUBE amp (yes I had tubes in my car..,,.hybrid tube amp) and dynaudio speakers. So, I was into 'sound' albeit in the car environment.

The dealer auditioned his main system for me and my brother. We spent 60 mins listening to Wilson Watt Puppies, Mark Levinson, and Trasparent system. I was floored. And hooked. I knew then and there when I finished my education and purchased a house, I would buy a system. I had never heard of Wilson Audio before that day, so I would qualify as one of Peter's 8 out of 10.

Fast forward to today and Sophia 3 speakers (and Transparent cabling) reside in my room.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 07-01-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
taters...it's Peter McGrath of Wilson Audio (just fyi).
Sorry about the spelling.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
That sounds high (8 out of 10 that is) but I have no trouble believing that at least 1/2 the buyers are very wealthy people who walk in an high-end audio salon and ask "Show me your best." Then they let the salesperson put the system together, install it, wire it, etc.

Living in Silicon Valley there are a lot of people that match that profile, and I've seen/heard more than a few such exchanges while loitering around audio store:

Customer walks in: "I hear that records sound better than CDs. That true?"

Salesperson: "I think so."

C: "What's your best record player?"

S: "This one," pointing to an SME 30/2 with V tonearm.

S: "You'll also need an amplifier with a phono stage."

C: "Show me your best."

C: "I'll take them. Can you also help me select 20 or 30 records to go with it? And you will come to my home and set this gizmo up right?"

Sounds strange to us, a crowd where even the mighty Ivan spends hours behind the rack taking care of the cabling, but we are indeed a very small group compared to the target market.

Alberto
Wow. You are probably right. Those are the same people that buy a Veyron to putt down the strip at 25mph.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:17 PM

Compared to many other high end companies, Wilson is a big successful company. Given the balkanization of our hobby, think about all the great little companies you have read about in Stereophile or the absolute sound or PFO that you have never listened to. The same is true in the wine industry-tons of small companies trying to make something great.