AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 09-29-2016, 08:33 AM

Default Von Schweikert VR-55 Aktive Loudspeaker

Anyone have any experience with this speaker? Considering adding these to my short list of speakers to audition for speaker upgrade.

I have not listened to these yet, but these are things I find intriguing about this speaker:
  • Active with a Class D 525W mono amp for the dual woofers (like the Vandy's, advertised with capability of integrating better in different rooms)
  • 3" rear firing ribbon tweeter
  • Small foot print
  • Aesthetically pleasing (at least in pictures)

Here's the current short list I'm interested in. I've only auditioned Alexia and Il Cremonese so far.
  • Wilson Alexia
  • Sonus Faber Il Cremonese
  • Vandersteen 7 MK2
  • Vivid Giya 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Von Schweikert VR-55 (1).jpg (44.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Von Schweikert VR-55 (2).jpg (13.9 KB, 36 views)

Aurender N10 / Ayre QX-5 Twenty / Ayre KX-R Twenty / Ayre MX-R Twenty / Wilson Sasha DAW / Isotek TITAN and EVO3 / Transparent Reference / Meze Empyrean

Last edited by gaboudreaux; 09-29-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:35 AM
Go Dawgs

Here's a link to the Absolute Sound review.......Greg Weaver really liked them calling them a new reference for him. They look nice too.

- Buck

Von Schweikert Audio VR-55 Aktive Loudspeaker | The Absolute Sound
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 09-29-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Here's a link to the Absolute Sound review.......Greg Weaver really liked them calling them a new reference for him. They look nice too.

- Buck

Von Schweikert Audio VR-55 Aktive Loudspeaker | The Absolute Sound
Thanks Buck! Yes, this is one of the good reviews I've read on this speaker.

Aurender N10 / Ayre QX-5 Twenty / Ayre KX-R Twenty / Ayre MX-R Twenty / Wilson Sasha DAW / Isotek TITAN and EVO3 / Transparent Reference / Meze Empyrean
Old 12-03-2016, 11:52 AM

I'm surprised there's no buzz going on about this speaker. Seems impressive and I'd like to hear it!

Old 12-05-2016, 02:17 PM

I heard them 2 years ago at RMAF. A long with the big YG speakers, I thought they were one of the best speakers I listened to...small footprint, attractive, and great sound! I guess marketing is why they aren't talked about like some other speakers.

Last edited by Ricjor1; 12-05-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
I heard them 2 years ago at RMAF. A long with the big YG speakers, I thought they were one of the best speakers I listened to...small footprint, attractive, and great sound! I guess marketing is why they aren't talked about like some other speakers.
Thanks Ricjor1! Everything I read says its a great sounding speaker. The typical descriptions from listeners are fast, detailed and transparent sound with bass adjustability to accommodate different room sizes. Can't help think my Ayre gear would balance things out nicely with this speaker. And to your comment, I really like the small footprint and looks! Seems like this speaker checks all of the boxes for me. I sent Von Schweikert an email this morning asking where I can audition these. I need to make a trip during the upcoming holidays and go listen to these.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:00 PM

Gaboudreaux, I would add Marten Coltrane's to the mix if you can swing it. They would work very well with the Ayre gear you have. I have also heard the Magico M series recently and they were probably the best magicos I have heard to date.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid View Post
Gaboudreaux, I would add Marten Coltrane's to the mix if you can swing it. They would work very well with the Ayre gear you have. I have also heard the Magico M series recently and they were probably the best magicos I have heard to date.
Would love to consider Martin Coltranes, but shy away from the $100k sticker price. Magico M3's would be severely pushing the upper limit too, but I bet they sound amazing. I've not heard any Magico speaker yet, but would really like to.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaboudreaux View Post
Would love to consider Martin Coltranes, but shy away from the $100k sticker price. Magico M3's would be severely pushing the upper limit too, but I bet they sound amazing. I've not heard any Magico speaker yet, but would really like to.

Gotcha, well they have the tenor at 80 and the bird2's at 32, both of which are very nice. I wasn't much of a Magico fan before the M series as I always felt they were a touch too analytical but the M's are very nice. Mind you I believe they are 80