AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 05-12-2016, 08:04 PM

Default Opinions Please!

I am a huge KEF fan from way back. I owned Reference 104aB speakers for years; loved them!

I have the LS50s now with a small REL sub. I do not have the space in my room for a floor standard speaker, but at some point I may want to improve my speakers.

I recently looked at and heard the Reference 3s and was very impressed. Not only in sound quality but in build quality and looks! Simply amazing...

So my question is comparing the Reference 1s versus the R300 versus what I currently have. I would love the Ref 1s, but $8k is out of the question at this point.

The R300 and Ref 1 have very similar specs, which I know means very little. Is there a night and day difference between the two speakers, R300 -vs- Ref 1? I assume the Ref is better and I know the enclosure is a tad bigger and I understand that the Refs are built in the UK while the R300 come out of the China plant. Is it worth almost 4.5 times the price. I mean, holy crap that is a big price difference.

Another point, is the R300s a huge improvement over the LS50 with the REL sub or would I be better to just stick with what i have?

Thanks for the input and opinions....
Old 05-12-2016, 08:17 PM

Considering the R300 is just a few hundred bucks more than the LS50, by the same company, with the same drivers, I can't imagine you gain much by "upgrading" to it. The different enclosure might give you just a tiny bit better bass, but you've got a sub.

I recommend sticking with what you have until you can afford to step up to the Ref1 or Ref3 or something similar.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:35 PM

Thanks Marc, I have been reading some reviews and other forums and it appears as if both get some nice reviews but the general consensus seems to be that the LS50s are a bit more accurate especially in the vocal range while the R300s appear to have a tad more bass and punch.

One good description I read was that for rock the R300 may have an edge but in jazz, acoustic music and vocals the LS50s are better.

I read a couple reviews stating that since the LS50s is part of the flagship series that they are more refined...

Therefore you probably are right. The references are gorgeous... but swinging $8k now is not possible .... but dam they are sweet....

EJ over at Wyred was playing his Ref 3s for me. Dam they are gorgeous....
Old 05-12-2016, 08:41 PM

I looked over the most recent pictures of your system and can't understand the reason for your feeling that you can't accommodate floor standing speakers. In most systems like yours with monitor speakers on stands, a suitable floor standing speaker doesn't really take up any more space than your monitors currently do.

I'm very familiar with the KEF line of speakers and the R300s offer a bit more extended bass response than the LS50s do as well as a bit fuller upper bass/lower mids, but are otherwise not really a step up in performance. Since you're so enamored with KEF's sonics I'm afraid that I'd advise you to save up until you can afford one of their Reference models which are a definite step up in refinement from what you have now. You can still enjoy your current setup while you save in anticipation of making a major step up when you may be able to. In my opinion the R300s would just be a lateral move and not really an upgrade.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:50 PM

Thank you for the input Bill. Yes I am a huge fan of KEF. Got my first pair back in the late 70's...

I know there is a lot of good speakers and speaker companies out there, but when you find something you really like... i just love the sound characteristics of KEF... back when I managed stereo stores (a long time ago) I heard a lot of different speakers and found that I always liked the "British" sound...
Old 05-12-2016, 10:52 PM

oh nooooo...Randy has wandered down the audio rabbit hole again...
Old 05-13-2016, 01:22 AM

Nah... not yet.... there is this little thing called eight thousand dollars .....

but dam the references are nice ...
Old 05-13-2016, 02:03 AM

I would stick with what you have. Kef Ref are truly in a class their own. I myself am getting closer and closer to the Kef Ref 3 or 5's
Old 05-13-2016, 09:10 AM

Thanks Michael. The Refs are sweet.... well appears that I am going to have to start saving and figuring a long term plan for the Refs....
Old 05-14-2016, 12:28 AM

Another question then... at this point it appears to make the most sense to stick with the fantastic little LS50s until I can afford something like the KEF References... then this brings me to another thought, the little REL does a very nice job adding in some of the low bass (or certainly for my needs anyway).

The REL has specific suggestions on wiring a fully balanced amplifier and setup using a Class D amplifier. All of which seems to really bring the sound in focus. So any thoughts on adding a second REL? I am looking for sound quality, smoothness, sound stage and imaging... Will a second REL improve here or is it just to add more bass (which is probably not needed in my opinion).

Last edited by Randy Myers; 05-14-2016 at 12:41 AM.