AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 03-24-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbear View Post
You can turn the other inputs off by going into the menu.
Thanks for the tip. It did the trick!
Old 03-27-2019, 04:38 PM

Update on my faulty C47 unit (for those who are curious):
As you know, I returned my brand new C47 to the shop and they gave me a loaner C47 for the time being...
I got a call today saying they found the problem that was causing low output and high noise when using digital inputs (DAC). Turns out there are a few screws on the back of the unit that have to be very tight otherwise the casing is not going to be grounded properly. After tightening those screws, apparently everything works now.
What I found interesting is apparently Mac engineers knew what was going on after they heard the symptoms and sent a diagram showing what screws needs to be tightened. Sounds like that is a common problem. Still, I'm very disappointed that this happened on a brand new unit.
As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I had a feeling this was a ground issue (non-zero bias on the ground). Now I'm a little worried if DAC could have been permanently damaged during the time there was that ground issue... To be honest with you, I don't want to take my first C47 back but I doubt they'll give me another new unit...
Right before I sent my first C47 to the shop, I remember turning the switch on my power strip ON (I usually keep it OFF when I don't use my equipment), and I remember hearing a high pitched noise coming from the preamp!!! Keep in mind, the unit was not on but in the standby mode.
What do you guys think?

Last edited by LazyBorzoi; 03-27-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:11 PM

Default Anyone here have the McIntosh C47

Thanks for this, have noticed output low overall on mine, but that is with all source inputs. Where are the few screws located at the back or at bottom? Is it the chassis screws that keeps the cover attached?

Last edited by ps7256; 03-27-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps7256 View Post
Thanks for this, have noticed output low overall on mine, but that is with all source inputs. Where are the few screws located at the back or at bottom? Is it the chassis screws that keeps the cover attached?
All I know is that they are in the back. Probably the chassis screws. If you want, I can ask my store for the diagram that they received from McIntosh.

Keep in mind, that for me all of my analog inputs worked fine, it were only the digital inputs that had this issue (low output volume and noise high enough to mask the music). Well, plus, if I connected a trigger cable, the whole thing turned into one big noise source (with intense feedback loop)...
Old 03-27-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyBorzoi View Post
All I know is that they are in the back. Probably the chassis screws. If you want, I can ask my store for the diagram that they received from McIntosh.

Keep in mind, that for me all of my analog inputs worked fine, it were only the digital inputs that had this issue (low output volume and noise high enough to mask the music). Well, plus, if I connected a trigger cable, the whole thing turned into one big noise source (with intense feedback loop)...

Thanks a bunch, if you could post the diagram would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps I am imagining it, but on certain Recordings, particularly classical it seems as though the volume or gain is lower than usual. This is via, steaming, and playing CD’s through available inputs, both Balanced and Unbalanced. Usually, set at 30% to 40% on Volume control to get room filling music.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps7256 View Post
Thanks a bunch, if you could post the diagram would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps I am imagining it, but on certain Recordings, particularly classical it seems as though the volume or gain is lower than usual. This is via, steaming, and playing CD’s through available inputs, both Balanced and Unbalanced. Usually, set at 30% to 40% on Volume control to get room filling music.
Here you go, my friend!

The red circle indicates the most critical screw, the rest are less critical...

Old 03-30-2019, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyBorzoi View Post
Here you go, my friend!

The red circle indicates the most critical screw, the rest are less critical...

Thanks so much, Greatly Appreciated!
Kind regards, Paul
Old 03-31-2019, 10:36 PM

Guys, I ran into another problem with my C47...

When I play digital files (.flac) from my laptop using USB input on C47, every once in a while music stops and the player on my laptop says buffering (JRiver). It usually takes about 1-2 minutes to start playing again and it is very annoying as it happens every 3-4 songs on average.

At first I thought it might have been my computer, so when it happened again, I power-cycled the C47 and it resumed playing the song right away. I guess ruled out the computer (or perhaps not?).

I tried different player (Foobar2000) with the same result. After 3-4 songs, everything freezes and I have to either wait a few minutes for things to move along or restart my C47. Unfortunately I don't have another computer to see if it's the C47/my current laptop combo that's the issue.

Has anyone else encountered such a problem with their C47? This is very frustrating to say the least. I hope I will find a solution to this problem as listening to an entire album in full seems to be impossible at the moment...
Old 04-01-2019, 12:09 AM

I have been toying with purchasing either a c47 or c50. After reading so many things about the c47, I think now I am down to the c50 or c2500. Reading this post seems to scare me away from the 47.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebenz View Post
I have been toying with purchasing either a c47 or c50. After reading so many things about the c47, I think now I am down to the c50 or c2500. Reading this post seems to scare me away from the 47.
I've got a C47 and it works flawlessly and no loose screw. I have zero remorse for not having purchased further up the line. He may be having a driver issue on his computer.