AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 12-23-2011, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klao

Three of my friends have REF40, and the group name we adopted is "bursted wallet gang".

Unfortunately, I'm the only one in the gang who's still paying the instalment for this gorgeous preamp.
Impressive !
Next time, you all should think of a group buy !
Old 12-23-2011, 01:12 PM

I'm up to 580 hours and my Ref 40 is still breaking in. Mostly used my tuner as a source. There are long stretches now where music is positively thrilling. I've been going to bed around midnight as I'm listening to everything I can find in my collection. I've never heard anything like this in recent memory (my first SET experience 20 years ago was last I can remember). The most amazing attributes are depth of field/soundstage, texture, solid centered vocals & tonal color. Jazz / pop vocals with individual singers are incredibly alive. You can really pick lower-level sounds and instruments out of the mix and just listen to them alone as in live music even though the rest of the music is going great-guns. From 200-300 hours I had missing bass but it came back at around 400 hours and has great extension and weight - doesn't sound like SS though. Even at current break-in time the sound is occassionally out of focus like binoculars that aren't quite adjusted but then images will migrate back in place over a listening session - early on this same phenomenon was like a phasiness where everything was a jumble. Certain sounds like chimes, bells and triangles have a solidity that I've never ever heard from solid state which emphasizes the leading edge of music - I now know what that comment means. At times, depending on the recording, the soundstage can disolve the walls in my listening room. I've heard sounds from behind the front wall, 3 feet to the outsides of my speakers and the stage depth could be 10 feet or more (my speakers are 5 feet out from the front wall). I also find particularly interesting the central imaging of a single vocalist. Sound comes mainly from between the speakers as if there were a center channel. You hear much much less of the voice directly from the speakers at all on a really well recorded song (J Valin commented on this in TAS and his remarks are spot on). This is all the more impressive as my speakers are Magnepan 3.6s - most flat panel speakers are not great imagers. I'm still not sure I can hear significant differences in inverted polarity but that's probably due to the speakers and I'm not sure whether it would matter. I will say a few recordings do not sound quite right on soundstaging and mix with this preamp as they are not "layered out" well - I liked them before with my previous Pass X0.2 and XP-20 but they don't sound quite right now. Maybe there's still some room for break-in? Will be interesting to hear how much more this pre-amp changes.

Last edited by Barry1; 12-23-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:14 PM

Excellent Barry,

What's the rest of the system like?
Old 12-23-2011, 01:42 PM

Well it's complicated due to all the mods and assortment of equipment, listed elsewhere here somewhere and over on that other website in "All-out-Assault". Player is a Marantz SA-7S1; TT a VPI IV with Triplanar arm and heavily modded Pass X-ono (which I haven't hooked up yet to the ARC). Speakers are triamped Mgggie 3.6s thru a Pass XVR-1,2 with a hybrid NP-220 Counterpoint amp on tweets/mids (a gem -- Mullard 6SL7s, all TX 2575 resistors, CuTF V-caps, 160K uF all BlackGate PS that cost $4K alone for the caps), Pass Aleph 2s on the Maggie bass panels, pair Kingergetic Research tower subs 5 x 10" woofer per side (flat to below 20 Hz) driven by an Adcom 5802, & variety of AZ cables. Never knew what musical bliss was locked inside till the ARC Ref 40 but it's sure singing now!

Last edited by Barry1; 12-23-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Cool, calm scientist

That's quite a system...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
That's quite a system...

Yes, very nice. I used to own (and sorry I sold it) a Counterpoint SA-220. One sweet hybrid amp, so I understand what the NP-220 is like.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:29 PM

Thank you for saying so, Stephen! I'm still working on it but finally with the ARC Ref 40 I'm more interested in the music.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:36 AM

I change my ARC 610T for ARC 750. I must say that it is another league.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:41 PM

Dluky

Welcome!!!

Tell us more about the 750...

Mike
Old 08-21-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dluky View Post
I change my ARC 610T for ARC 750. I must say that it is another league.
Fantastic! Tell us more and show us some pictures!

Welcome!

howie